Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement plate/bracket holder for Manfrotto 410 gear head?  (Read 2796 times)

-chrille-

Replacement plate/bracket holder for Manfrotto 410 gear head?
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:06:44 am »

Dropped my tripod with Manfrotto 410 gear head and the fastening mechanism on the head got bent. The quick plate now got some play when fastened on the head. It is possible to rock the plate and camera. The head is now unusable for longer shutter speed for landscape work or in windy condition.

Instead of replacing the locking mechanism I wonder if there are any nice holders for L-brackets that fits on the Manfrotto 410? There are two threaded holes in the head so hopefully it might be possible to fasten a holder? I never liked the Manfrotto quick plate anyway.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:19:46 am by -chrille- »

NancyP

Re: Replacement plate/bracket holder for Manfrotto 410 gear head?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:43 am »

If you want to keep the Manfrotto plates, you may need to find a used head or see if current Manfrotto part available now fits your particular head (I gather that there was a small manufacturing change so recent part may not fit very old head.) If you want to convert over to Arca-Swiss, buy the adapter kit from Hejnarphoto.com . I really disliked the Manfrotto plate system - bought this kit - very happy with it. I use the ordinary screw clamp - what's an extra second or two when you are fiddling with 3 axes anyway?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:57:26 am »

Dropped my tripod with Manfrotto 410 gear head and the fastening mechanism on the head got bent. The quick plate now got some play when fastened on the head. It is possible to rock the plate and camera. The head is now unusable for longer shutter speed for landscape work or in windy condition.

Instead of replacing the locking mechanism I wonder if there are any nice holders for L-brackets that fits on the Manfrotto 410? There are two threaded holes in the head so hopefully it might be possible to fasten a holder? I never liked the Manfrotto quick plate anyway.

Hi,

I replaced the Manfrotto quick release by a version from Hejnar.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:20:36 pm »

Hi,

I replaced the Manfrotto quick release by a version from Hejnar.

Cheers,
Bart

+1 Hejnar replacement plate is the way to go http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/147.htm

-chrille-

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:18:30 am »

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:54:16 pm »

Lord, I hated the Manfrotto QR system.  :P

Hejnarphoto is run by a good guy in the Chicago suburbs, and he will email back if you need help. The Arca-Swiss conversion kit made me love the 410. Note, there are two A-S conversion kits, the original design and a later one that puts the camera sensor over the horizontal pan axis (easier to have all your movement axes converging on the sensor axis). The later design is a little better for panoramic use. I have his original design and may replace the top plate with the new design. Hejnar stuff is simple and modular, and exact dimensions (and CAD diagram) are given, so you can use any clamp style he has or see if you can use another brand clamp you already have.

If you have an idea for a specialty 6061T aluminum product not available elsewhere and just want to get it fabricated, he has been known to run up a prototype if he likes the idea enough to make it part of his product line, and sell it to you at a reasonable price provided you give him feedback on the prototype.
Pages: [1]   Go Up