Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open Letter to Phase One/Capture One "Error when processing a file" Windows  (Read 6384 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

I first wrote up this issue in January, when I guess Vr 9 first came out.  Since then I have opened at least 2 different cases with Phase One, and have worked with my dealer on this issue. 

My question, Phase One, can you please tell me of a video card that will work with Vr 9.x without creating the "error when processing a file" error.  Now with Vr 9.3 I can't even process 2 files consecutively without getting this error.  With the prior version, you could at least wait 10 seconds and then hit the process button again, an most times the file that had the error would go ahead and process, but now with Vr 9.3 this is not true.  It seems that once the error is generated, the only way to process a file that has received the error is to re-start C1. 

I have worked with Capture One software since around 2004 and have never seen such a problem.  And a problem that seemingly can't be fixed in 10 MONTHS. 

Open question to P1, what video card are you testing on in Denmark with your Windows versions?  I have asked for this more than once in my cases.  It's totally apparent that the Nvidia GTX line are not going to work, period.  So far I have invested in (2) GTX970 4 GB cards, and built up a totally new PC but this problem happens across all my machines:

PC,'s (both Asus boards and Intel i7 chips, with 32GB of Ram)
Surface 2, and 3, both with windows 10
Macbook Pro 15 inch, bootcamp window 10

It doesn't matter which machine they all get the error.  As I stated before in my first post, this error means you can't process in batch mode period, as there is not easy way to go back and figure out which files have not processed.  The only way I know to work in C1 right now is to close the program and run a script sent to me by Phase One that keeps C1 from working at all with the GPU.  You can't run this way all the time as local adjustments need GPU especially masking.

Just let me know a video card that won't get this error, please so I can get back a normal workflow, please.

Here is link to my original post, which shows a screen shot of the error I am referring to, which by the way I never had before Vr 9.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107751.0

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

sebbe

Thanks Paul.

I'm using the GTX970 mobile version and I have also issues. I tried any settings in C1, also by the Nvidia driver and switched Windows versions. Even a session with a few pics gets instable after a while. Especially when I want to batch settings/keywords to other pictures this may end up in a complete mess.

Currently I'm on the fence to switch back to LR, even though I really want to stay with C1. The functionality and the customizable workaround are great, but it is not reliable on my PC.

I would also love to hear which gpu they are using. On the other hand I would appreciate when Phase1 invest in 970GTX (a quite common gpu) testing, as we invest in the C1 testing (beta program).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Open question to P1, what video card are you testing on in Denmark with your Windows versions? I have asked for this more than once in my cases. It's totally apparent that the Nvidia GTX line are not going to work, period. So far I have invested in (2) GTX970 4 GB cards, and built up a totally new PC but this problem happens across all my machines:

PC,'s (both Asus boards and Intel i7 chips, with 32GB of Ram)
Surface 2, and 3, both with windows 10
Macbook Pro 15 inch, bootcamp window 10

It doesn't matter which machine they all get the error. As I stated before in my first post, this error means you can't process in batch mode period, as there is not easy way to go back and figure out which files have not processed. The only way I know to work in C1 right now is to close the program and run a script sent to me by Phase One that keeps C1 from working at all with the GPU. You can't run this way all the time as local adjustments need GPU especially masking.

Just let me know a video card that won't get this error, please so I can get back a normal workflow, please.

Here is link to my original post, which shows a screen shot of the error I am referring to, which by the way I never had before Vr 9.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107751.0

Paul Caldwell

Hi Paul,

I appreciate the initiative, but I still wonder about the root cause of your issues. I too experience "non-processed" Raws on export, but only occasionally/rarely. You seem to get it just about every other image.

I've asked it before but got no reply (no obligation though), do you happen to use a virusscanner that interferes or a defragmentation utility that potentially conflicts with write permissions? The only times that I experience the issue seems to be when the defragmentation program happens to be running in the background.

There must be another explanation for your mishaps than the (video card) GPUs with up-to-date drivers.

I'm not saying that Capture One does not have an Export bug of some sort, but we may be focusing on the wrong root cause, that's all.

I'd monitor disk activity, and see what is accessing files for scanning/indexing/reallocating/backup/whatever, and try to temporarily disable the potential service/application that might conflict, and see if it makes a difference. Since you seem to have the same issue across systems, I'd first look at the virus scanner (assuming you use the same one on different systems). They usually also allow to not scan certain file types, or directories/folders.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Hi Bart.

Sorry I missed your previous post with questions.

I run AVG on all PCs and Webroot on the Surface pros. Boot camp Mac has AVG.

I will try to run with it disabled. No other activity appears to be running besides Windows normal services.

I come back to a timing issue as once I run the phase script to not allow GPU to work all is fine.

So for now I have to work with GPU enabled until ready to process then close C1 and run script then reopen C1 and process files. Note this takes much longer since the GPU has been disabled.

One PC IS 3 years old 3.4 ghz. The other 6 months old 4.0 ghz. Both Asus boards. Both nvidia GTX 970 cards. Both win 10.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer

I've been getting this regularly with 9.2.1 (thought I was on 9.3 already, but not, so haven't checked w/ 9.3 yet.)  Mac OS 10.11.6, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 680 4GB. 

Generally happens when I'm in a hurry exporting, very annoying as it means I have to go back and change the incremental file counter.  It seems like I can get it "unstuck" by clicking on another image, then back to the one I want to export and wait for 100% the preview to regenerate.

Edit: Same behavior on 9.3.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:18:05 pm by alan_b »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com

Happens on Mac, happens on PC, happens in Windows on Win 7, 8, 10, happens in OSX on every version of OSX that is supported by C1, happens on nVidia, happens on AMD - it ain't the computer platform, the OS or the graphics card.  It's the code!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:43:06 pm by E.J. Peiker »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Happens on Mac, happens on PC, happens in Windows on Win 7, 8 10, happens in OSX on every version of OSX that is supported by C1, happens on nVidia, happens on AMD - it ain't the computer platform, the OS or the graphics card.  It's the code!

Thanks EJ, not using it much on Mac, also interesting to see it's not just win 10.  Still amazing to me it's been going on since Jan. 2016.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

E.J. Peiker

Thanks EJ, not using it much on Mac, also interesting to see it's not just win 10.  Still amazing to me it's been going on since Jan. 2016.

Paul C
Nov 2015 actually ;)

sjprg

Reading this I would like to comment. My setup is an Asus Z170-WS I7-6700K, 32GB 3000Memory, Nvidia M2000, Dual 4k monitors, System disk 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe, Image disk Samsung 2TB 850 EVO, Scratch and catalog disk 256 Samsung 941 NVMe.
All of my image processors C1, DXO, PS, LR, Sony, Piccure+, Franzis Sharpen, except DPP 4.5 which will not start, have no problems whatsoever.
Windows 10 Enterprise build 14393 RS1, all latest updates
Regards
Paul
Paul

R_Yosha

After updating to NVIDIA driver ver. 372.90 got no errors for 3 days! Wow!!

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com

No errors at all. Windows 7 / ati / intel

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

glad to see that, however I have long ago lost the ability to use win7. 

May just be my equipment, but from Phase has told me, it's possibly a bigger bug for some than others. 

My worst issue is when I process IQ100 files. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

E.J. Peiker

glad to see that, however I have long ago lost the ability to use win7. 

May just be my equipment, but from Phase has told me, it's possibly a bigger bug for some than others. 

My worst issue is when I process IQ100 files. 

Paul C
Those that don't have the problem should just count themselves lucky - it is a very widespread issue.  From what I can tell, the faster your hardware (CPU, GPU, memory) the more it happens.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com

Don't think so. There isn't much faster hardware out there.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up