Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon TS-E 24L II shifts when rotating the tilt mechanism  (Read 3035 times)

-chrille-

Canon TS-E 24L II shifts when rotating the tilt mechanism
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:14:08 am »

Find this a bit of annoying and wonder if it is the design of the lens or if something is wrong with my copy. When I rotate the tilt mechanism the field of view also get shifted slightly. Not much but enough to spoil the composition. There is a easy work around for this, simply tilt first then shift the lens but I am curious if other TS-E 24L II owner noticed this. The lens was checked by Canon tech before I bought it and the papers indicates the lens is like new condition without any problems.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:17:41 am by -chrille- »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Canon TS-E 24L II shifts when rotating the tilt mechanism
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 07:38:30 am »

If I remember correctly, you can determine how stiff you want the movements to be by tightening the knobs. If too loose, it is possible that the pressure used to operate the tilt knob affects the shift too. Me thinks, not sure.

-chrille-

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 07:45:08 am »

I think this it is more like the tilt mechanism is decentered but I might be wrong.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 11:52:42 am »

I think this it is more like the tilt mechanism is decentered but I might be wrong.

Hi,

Tilting will move the entrance pupil slightly (because the axis of rotation is closer to the lens mount than the entrance pupil is), so the perspective changes a bit. I wouldn't call it decentered (because that's usually is an optical defect), but you are correct in assuming that that is what is causing it.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

-chrille-

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:15:09 pm »

Glad to hear that this is inherent to the lens desing and nothing faulty with my copy.

Ghibby

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:33 pm »

It's totally unavoidable and simply a product of the fact you are mounting your tripod to the camera. The lens is simulating CAMERA movements by moving the lens relative to the lens mount. If you were to be able to mount the lens to the tripod and the movements would then affect the camera body then your composition would not shift at all.

Ben

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:48:25 pm »

It's totally unavoidable and simply a product of the fact you are mounting your tripod to the camera. The lens is simulating CAMERA movements by moving the lens relative to the lens mount. If you were to be able to mount the lens to the tripod and the movements would then affect the camera body then your composition would not shift at all.

Yes, good point. There are indeed solutions (e.g. from Hartblei) that keep the lens (entrance pupil) stationary for shifts (but not for tilts though), but for a heavier camera body I'm not so sure that the lens is built to support such forces over time. And the partial solution is not cheap either.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 01:49:57 pm »

In my ex TSE45, TSE24 and in my current 24TSEII and 17TSEII tilting produces a bit of shift but nothing to worry about. Reframing is easy if necessary.
Eduardo

-chrille-

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »

Ben

I picked up Ansel Adams "The Camera" from the book shelf and the section "View camera adjustments" explains and visualize this pretty well. Interesting stuff.

-chrille-

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »

In my ex TSE45, TSE24 and in my current 24TSEII and 17TSEII tilting produces a bit of shift but nothing to worry about. Reframing is easy if necessary.
Eduardo

If I only was out shooting landscape and nature subjects I would never have notice the shifting. On architecture with straight lines there is a slightly shift noticed but as you say reframing is not that hard to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up