Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tilt Shift Lenses on Sony A7RII  (Read 14483 times)

rjbrown

Tilt Shift Lenses on Sony A7RII
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:48:47 am »

I would be very grateful if it would be possible to share experiences about using tilt shift lenses for landscape photography on the Sony A7RII. Has anyone used the Canon 24 TSE or Canon 45 TSE with a metabones IV adapter ? Have you been pleased with the results ? Does anyone have any experience of the Kipon tilt/shift adapter ? Thank you very much for any responses.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Tilt Shift Lenses on Sony A7RII
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:01:52 am »

Hi,

Some experience…

I am using the Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII on the Metabones with the A7rII, it works just fine.

The other T&S solution I have is the HCam Master TS II. This is built around the Mirex TS adapter but it is optimised for the A7rII. It has a Canon EF bayonet on front. I used that with either a Canon 16-35/4L or a (Yashica) Contax 28-85/3.3-4 zoom, the latter only for tilts, as shifts are very limited. The Kipon TS is mostly a knock off from the Mirex.

The 16-35/4 allows a lot of shift 20-35 mm. Problem is it doesn't have aperture control. So, I take a long exposure with lenscap on uisng the Metabones. Dismount the lens during exposure and put on HCam Master TSII.

I will post some links later, feel free to ask…

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

-chrille-

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:19:30 am »

Is it possible to use some kind of grid screen zoom mode(5x or 10x or what magnification Sony uses) on A7RII for composing aid? I am using the TS-E 24L II on a Canon 6D body and find it hard to compose due to the lack of grid in zoomed live view mode.

marc aurel

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:46 am »

I did a comparison quite a while ago: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=93273.0
Please note that the results for shifted TS-E 24mm in the shifted corner are a bit worse than they are on a good copy. Mine was not perfect, which I noticed after sending it in. Proceed to page 2 to see results of that.

Regards -
Marc

I would be very grateful if it would be possible to share experiences about using tilt shift lenses for landscape photography on the Sony A7RII. Has anyone used the Canon 24 TSE or Canon 45 TSE with a metabones IV adapter ? Have you been pleased with the results ? Does anyone have any experience of the Kipon tilt/shift adapter ? Thank you very much for any responses.

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:16:28 am »

It seems to work quite well.

FabienP

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:57:49 pm »

The one featuring the Arashiyama bamboo grove is really nice and benefits greatly from the panoramic aspect ratio.

I am glad that you managed to do such nice photos despite the bad weather and the missed opportunities with fall colours in your trip to Japan last year!

Cheers,

Fabien

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:04:23 pm »

Clyde Butcher uses Cambo Actus on his Sony A7 with medium format lenses.

-chrille-

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »

Erik: Is it possible to use some kind of composing aid, example a 6x4 grid, in magnified live view mode on th A7RII body? On my Canon 6D the grid disappears when zoomed in to 5x and 10x. I think every Canon body is the same. Searching for a dedicated body with that feature for tilt shift work with Canon TS-E lenses.

marc aurel

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 12:31:04 pm »

Erik: Is it possible to use some kind of composing aid, example a 6x4 grid, in magnified live view mode on th A7RII body? On my Canon 6D the grid disappears when zoomed in to 5x and 10x. I think every Canon body is the same. Searching for a dedicated body with that feature for tilt shift work with Canon TS-E lenses.

Hi Chrille,

I can't answer your question about what the A7RII does. But if not - you could use a field monitor like the ones from smallhd. They can overlay different grids - regardless of the hdmi-signal from the camera. I use the 7" oled version. The also have a very interesting 5" version (called sidefinder), where you can add optics and have something like an evf (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137983-REG/smallhd_smallhd_sidefinder.html).

Regards -
Marc

bcooter

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:32:33 pm »

Nice work.

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 03:41:17 pm »

Hi,

For me, magnified live view is a focusing aid.

For composition I use unmagnified LV and have access to grid lines and stuff. I normally use peaking to find a decent tilt option and go back and refine focusing with magnified live view.

In final processing I often resort to "transformations" in Lightroom to get a reasonable rendition. That tool is reasonably good…

Best regards
Erik

Is it possible to use some kind of grid screen zoom mode(5x or 10x or what magnification Sony uses) on A7RII for composing aid? I am using the TS-E 24L II on a Canon 6D body and find it hard to compose due to the lack of grid in zoomed live view mode.
Erik Kaffehr

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 07:40:44 pm »

chrille, check out the Magic Lantern site (community FREEWARE)- I am fairly sure that the 6D firmware is now mature (year or two of debugging and program modification). There may or may not be grids on magnified live view (I have never cared), you do get focus peaking, focus stacking, and other goodies for still photography. Note, I have only used ML on my 60D - not 6D (yet).

-chrille-

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:48:25 pm »

Hi,

For me, magnified live view is a focusing aid.

For composition I use unmagnified LV and have access to grid lines and stuff. I normally use peaking to find a decent tilt option and go back and refine focusing with magnified live view.

In final processing I often resort to "transformations" in Lightroom to get a reasonable rendition. That tool is reasonably good…

Best regards
Erik

Thank you Erik. When you magnify the view are the grid lines still visible?

-chrille-

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »

Hi Chrille,

I can't answer your question about what the A7RII does. But if not - you could use a field monitor like the ones from smallhd. They can overlay different grids - regardless of the hdmi-signal from the camera. I use the 7" oled version. The also have a very interesting 5" version (called sidefinder), where you can add optics and have something like an evf (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137983-REG/smallhd_smallhd_sidefinder.html).

Regards -
Marc

A field monitor was a very interesting option but then I got information that the 6D does not have a full HDMI signal output. The live view is low resolution and will not fill the monitor without black bars around.

-chrille-

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 01:02:28 pm »

Back on topic. Any image degradation using the TS-E 24II with Metabone adapter? Does the adapter introduce more vignetting when tilt and shift the lens?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:08:01 pm by -chrille- »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 01:18:33 pm »

Nope.

I have not seen any such effects. The adapter is just a piece of metal replacing the mirror box. The latest versions are flocked, reducing internal flare.

Adapters probably have some alignment errors, and that would add up with other alignment errors and would reduce corner sharpness, but my experience is positive this far.

Best regards
Erik

Back on topic. Any image degradation using the TS-E 24II with Metabone adapter? Does the adapter introduce more vignetting when tilt and shift the lens?
Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 03:37:16 pm »

I am using the Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII on the Metabones with the A7rII, it works just fine.
The other T&S solution I have is the HCam Master TS II. This is built around the Mirex TS adapter but it is optimised for the A7rII.

Erik,

What, if any, are the IQ differences between the Canon TS and Stefan Steib's HCam V2 mounted with a Sigma 24 Art alternative ? The only 'inconvenience' with Stefan's solution is having to preset the aperture before mounting it - personally, I can live with that.

M

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:22:29 pm by Manoli »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 05:58:37 pm »

Hi,

I can't say as I don't have the Sigma Art. My Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII may not be the greatest sample, in early tests the 16-35/4L performed much better. But I am pretty happy with the TSE now-days.

I generally use the 16-35/4 on the Metabones for most work. It beats all my other lenses, Distagons on the Blad, Sony 24-70/2.8ZA, Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII. For architecture work I mostly use the 24/3.5 TSE LII. It delivers when stopped down to f/11. For 20 mm or 35 mm shift I can still use the 16-35/4L on the HCam. Using the 24/3.5 TSE is convenient.

When shooting architecture, distortion matters a lot and the 24/3.5 has very little distortion. There is probably some distortion on the 16-35/4. To sum it up:

• The 16-35/4 is the sharpest wide angle I have
  • The 24/3.5 is not as sharp, but does the job. Field curvature is tricky.
  • The 16-35/4L is very usable with shifts in the 20-35 mm range.

Last holiday I was shooting with the 16-35/4L on the HCam Master TS for a day, prestopped at f/11. It worked out quite well. I will post a bunch of images from that shoot, here: https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Technical/16-354l-and-Master-TS/

For tilted shooting I have a Contax 28-85/3.3-4 and a Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5. Those lenses have manual apertures and are easy to focus. They are decent performers, but probably not as good as top notch lenses of newer designs in untilted shooting.

I have seen some pretty good reports on the Canon 11-24/4L for shift work, but I don't own that lens. With the experience I have now, I would buy it instead of the 16-35/4L and the 24/3.5LII. But, the 16-35/4L is excellent and the 24/3.5 TSE LII does a god job, mostly.

Erik,

What, if any, are the IQ differences between the Canon TS and Stefan Steib's HCam V2, mounted with say a Sigma 24 Art alternative ? The only 'inconvenience' with Stefan's solution is having to preset the aperture before mounting it - personally I can live with that.

M
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:19:46 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

shadowblade

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 11:36:54 pm »

Is there something wrong with your TS-E 24L II? That lens is super-sharp when unshifted. Even when shifted, it's sharp for something with such a wide angle of view. I just wish it had either 7 or 9 aperture blades instead of 8, as well as some lens correction profiles available to get rid of CA.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 02:54:38 am »

Hi,

It could a bad sample or I compare it with very good lenses. The 16-35/4L is very sharp. Modern versions of Lightroom or Capture One handle CA without profiles.

Here are some samples for the 24/3.5 TSE LII

https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Technical/Canon-24-TSE-LII/

Best regards
Erik

Is there something wrong with your TS-E 24L II? That lens is super-sharp when unshifted. Even when shifted, it's sharp for something with such a wide angle of view. I just wish it had either 7 or 9 aperture blades instead of 8, as well as some lens correction profiles available to get rid of CA.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:08:50 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up