Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace cartridge in Epson P600 - change to photo black  (Read 6022 times)

-chrille-

Replace cartridge in Epson P600 - change to photo black
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:03:14 am »

Every time I replace a cartridge the printer automatically change to photo black and waste photo black and matte black inc. Is it possible to change some settings to get rid of this behavior?

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
Re: Replace cartridge in Epson P600 - change to photo black
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:53:18 pm »

Do you have Auto black ink switching turned off? (recommended)

System Administration > Printer Settings > BK Ink Auto Change > Off

Otherwise that seems really odd... I've never had the Black ink type switch during a cart replacement, but I don't think I've ever replaced another cart while MK was loaded... sorry.
Did you contact Epson support?

MS

-chrille-

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »

In setting there are two options "Normal" and "Save ink". The latter has always been activated since I installed the printer.

Every time I change a cartridge the printer change from matte black to photo black. I always print on Epson Velvet or Watercolor paper with the MK so it is waste of ink switching back and forth.

It sound almost like a complete nozzle head cleaning every time replacing a cartridge but I cant confirm that.

The nozzle test pattern always looks fine. The firmware in use is the latest version.

I have contacted the Epson support and waiting for answer but I am also interested if someone else is having the same problem.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:18:58 pm by -chrille- »

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:23:17 pm »

I was referring to the Auto Switching, rather than the Ink saving mode. With Auto switching turned off, you have to tell the printer to switch the MK/PK, otherwise if you accidentally select the wrong paper type the printer will start switching the blacks itself.

-chrille-

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:52:04 am »

You are right schertz, Auto switching was still enable... :-[

I have disable the auto switching mode and hopefully this inc switching is no more when replacing a cartridge. Next cartridge up for replacement is LC in a couple of A4 equivalents. I will report back if you are interested in the outcome.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 01:14:54 am »

I don't know if it applies for the P600 but does for the 3880. I don't change cartridges when it says low ink. That is a waste of money and not based on any measurement of what is left, only a calculation based on print numbers. I change when it stops and says no ink. Even in the middle of a print you change the cartridge and it keeps going with no discernible difference.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 02:04:54 am »

I don't know if it applies for the P600 but does for the 3880. I don't change cartridges when it says low ink. That is a waste of money and not based on any measurement of what is left, only a calculation based on print numbers. I change when it stops and says no ink. Even in the middle of a print you change the cartridge and it keeps going with no discernible difference.
I do the same, Bob.  A good way to save resources.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 02:19:44 am »

Yes, the same applies to the P600; there are several levels of low ink warning, from the yellow exclamation mark in the driver when it gets low-ish, to the pop-up low ink warning before printing, to the point when it stops and refuses to print without a cartridge change. I never replace carts until I'm forced to. I usually hold off on printing bigger, more expensive prints once the pop-up level hits, because it is possible that you might be able to see the line where the cartridge change occurred (See Keith Cooper's P600 review here in the Changing Ink section 1/3 of the way down).

MS

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 02:24:27 am »

You are right schertz, Auto switching was still enable... :-[

I have disable the auto switching mode and hopefully this inc switching is no more when replacing a cartridge. Next cartridge up for replacement is LC in a couple of A4 equivalents. I will report back if you are interested in the outcome.

Hopefully that prevents the switching during cart changes, but I'm still not sure if this is normal behaviour. What did Epson Technical support have to say about the problem?

Mike

-chrille-

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 03:53:15 am »

I also ignore the low ink warning and change cartridge when I am forced to do that. I have never notice any problems or lack of quality in prints.

-chrille-

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 03:57:31 am »

Hopefully that prevents the switching during cart changes, but I'm still not sure if this is normal behaviour. What did Epson Technical support have to say about the problem?

Mike

Epson support always answer my questions but it takes days or up to week to get response. No answer yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up