Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowstone - A Cauldron of Dichotomies  (Read 1391 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Yellowstone - A Cauldron of Dichotomies
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:10:26 pm »

Beauty is everywhere you look, as is the gentle reminder you are languishing ever so happily in the basin of a gentle, though active volcano that at any moment could change its mind. It is food for thought: apple pie today, sour cream tomorrow.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
Re: Yellowstone - A Cauldron of Dichotomies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »

I like this shot - its composition and dynamics and the idea.
I first thought these are penguins when I looked at the thumbnail. :)
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

churly

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »

IMO September and October are the best times in Yellowstone.  I spent a most glorious October day in the Lamar Valley some years ago surrounded by bison, elk in rut, a pack of wolves and a grizzly.

Yellowstone is pretty heavily instrumented with seismometers and GPS stations.  I think we will have a lot of notice if the caldera inflates and gets testy.

Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:05 pm »

Agreed, Chuck but I want a good head start regardless. It's going to be one hell of a boomer, me thinks.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Arlen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 11:28:37 am »

If it blows at a scale similar to what it's done occasionally in the distant past, you might have to run a long way. It will be catastrophic for the country, and even the entire planet.

(Spread the word, so fewer people will go there, and it will be less crowded.)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 05:41:31 pm »

IMO September and October are the best times in Yellowstone.  I spent a most glorious October day in the Lamar Valley some years ago surrounded by bison, elk in rut, a pack of wolves and a grizzly.

Yellowstone is pretty heavily instrumented with seismometers and GPS stations.  I think we will have a lot of notice if the caldera inflates and gets testy.

Chuck

If, as you say, "I think we will have a lot of notice if the caldera inflates and gets testy", it won't matter one iota. If it doesn't blow, then no problem continue doing what you're doing. If it does, you won't be around long enough to get far enough away to make a difference, as life on Earth, as we know it, will cease to exist. Great eh?!?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up