Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture on 9 and Gpu  (Read 5012 times)

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
Capture on 9 and Gpu
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:34:30 am »

I am building a Pc based on I7 6700k processor and z170 chipset. Pc will have 32gb ram. I do not do any video editing, or games. Images being processed are 50mp raws being converted to 16bit tiffs.. Monitor is a 1900x1200 Nec Pa 241.
Is there any benefit to a separate gpu, or is the built in graphics sufficient?
Thanks

scyth

Re: Capture on 9 and Gpu
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:32:27 am »

I am building a Pc based on I7 6700k processor and z170 chipset. Pc will have 32gb ram. I do not do any video editing, or games. Images being processed are 50mp raws being converted to 16bit tiffs.. Monitor is a 1900x1200 Nec Pa 241.
Is there any benefit to a separate gpu, or is the built in graphics sufficient?
Thanks

P1 claims that C1 will use __all__ GPUs available - so this is your answer then

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:33:00 am »

I would stay away from the Nvidia GTX970 line for sure. 

Since C1 version 9 arrived, the GPU feature has been very unstable.  Not only do you get the "error processing a file" problem with means you can't batch process a file, but there are problems with masking, and layers. 

I have had 2 trouble tickets on this issue open for months, and still no fix.  And I would have to say, since I started with Capture One way back in the 2005 year range, this single problem has been by far the most problematic. 

It's a timing issue for sure, but so far, Phase cannot or will not attempt a fix. 

Their only answer, "turn off the GPU".  That does fix it, but then you can go to sleep trying to draw a mask or processing out a large number of files. 

The Nvidia GTX970 is not a cheap card so I would personally stay away from all Nvidia cards. 

Here is my post showing the problem with "error processing a file"
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107751.0

Others have also reported this problem.  Seems to be mainly an Nvidia C1 intolerance.  Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 all show it at least for me.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

barry685

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:14:36 pm »

Im considering a gtx 950 based card.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »

I would also double check with the "supported" cards by Phase One, not sure on the GTX950, but I know the GTX960 is not supported.

When my problem first came up, the answer from Phase One was "you are using a non supported card".  With over 25 years in the PC business, I knew that this would not matter, but for support, I switched to a "supported" card. I only mention this as if you open a support case with a "non supported" card, the case will close with "not supported card". end of story.

Guess what, same problem, more often.  Go figure.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

barry685

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »

It is listed

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:28:21 pm »

I would stay away from the Nvidia GTX970 line for sure. 

Since C1 version 9 arrived, the GPU feature has been very unstable.  Not only do you get the "error processing a file" problem with means you can't batch process a file, but there are problems with masking, and layers. 

I have had 2 trouble tickets on this issue open for months, and still no fix.  And I would have to say, since I started with Capture One way back in the 2005 year range, this single problem has been by far the most problematic. 

It's a timing issue for sure, but so far, Phase cannot or will not attempt a fix. 

Their only answer, "turn off the GPU".  That does fix it, but then you can go to sleep trying to draw a mask or processing out a large number of files. 

The Nvidia GTX970 is not a cheap card so I would personally stay away from all Nvidia cards. 

Here is my post showing the problem with "error processing a file"
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107751.0

Others have also reported this problem.  Seems to be mainly an Nvidia C1 intolerance.  Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 all show it at least for me.

Paul C
That happens with other graphics cards as well.  I don't think it has anything to do with the graphics card.  I have an AMD card computer that it happens on, I have an Intel IRIS graphics computer that it happens on and it happens on all three nVidia based graphics cards I have.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 04:53:02 pm »

Hello EJ,

I have to say I am pretty disappointed with Phase One on this problem.  Amazing that they can't figure out how to bypass this issue as it has to be some type of timing problem.  But once it starts on a particular file, I have to wait around 10 seconds, then try to process it again.  Most times that works.  But not being able to use batch is a pain.  It's been there from the start with Vr 9, not in any version prior that I can remember. 

But there are other GPU issues also mainly in the masking process, that cause intermittent problems for me.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

sebbe

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 03:33:38 am »

I have also issues with my GTX970M and C1. Well, I think it's the card. :)

After a while I can't go back in changes. Then the preview stop to react, while I change brightness (other works). And at the end I can switch between pictures but the preview does not change.
Gladly I'm aware of it and I can just restart C1. My computer is fast (Intel Core i7-4720HQ,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, 32 GB RAM, 3 SSDs (1 for Windows, 1 for Catalogue, 1 for Pics)), so this don't take much time and all changes are there, but the selected picture after restart may be one of the older ones.
I'm working with sessions.

Sadly the card and processor is glued into the computer. Otherwise I would update this GPU, because I don't want to give up C1.

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 05:34:59 am »

I have also issues with my GTX970M and C1. Well, I think it's the card. :)

After a while I can't go back in changes. Then the preview stop to react, while I change brightness (other works). And at the end I can switch between pictures but the preview does not change.
Gladly I'm aware of it and I can just restart C1. My computer is fast (Intel Core i7-4720HQ,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, 32 GB RAM, 3 SSDs (1 for Windows, 1 for Catalogue, 1 for Pics)), so this don't take much time and all changes are there, but the selected picture after restart may be one of the older ones.
I'm working with sessions.

Sadly the card and processor is glued into the computer. Otherwise I would update this GPU, because I don't want to give up C1.

My 970M based computer does not do that so there is more to it than just graphics card.  But try running the nVidia control panel program - since you have a 970M that means you are using the mobile version of the 970.  It is possible that the default operation is to not even use the nVidia card but rather use the built in Intel ISOS graphics to save battery power and you may be running out of video memory due to that as it generally doesn't have much.  Change Capture One over to the nVidia card and then reboot.  The first time you launch Photoshop after that, it could take a minute or so for it to become responsive and you might even think that the system is hung but just give it a minute or two.

Update, I found an article that shows how to do what I said above:
http://www.howtogeek.com/175281/how-to-force-graphics-options-in-pc-games-with-nvidia-amd-or-intel-graphics/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:46:11 am by E.J. Peiker »

N80

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 11:22:04 am »

There is also ongoing confusion about GPU support on various new iMacs. Granted, the iMac is not the ideal image editing set up but at the same time it is very popular among photographers, particularly amateurs like myself. I have a new 27" 5k iMac, and while I have not had the problems listed about, it is not exactly brisk with RAW files from my D750. OpenCL on or off seems to make more difference. It is faster than my 8 year old MacBook Pro but not dramatically so. I know a mid range 27" iMac is no speed demon but I would have expected better speed than I am seeing and suspect it is a CO issue as PS CC is faster.

Here's hoping CO can improve things. I purchased the personal license. The speed issue is not a deal breaker yet but if it gets worse it will be.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

sebbe

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 02:21:39 am »

Thanks E.J. I changed the settings and I looks stable now. I will process some batches this weekend. I'm sure, I will recognize if there are still some issues.
Thanks again. Very helpful!

There is also ongoing confusion about GPU support on various new iMacs. Granted, the iMac is not the ideal image editing set up but at the same time it is very popular among photographers, particularly amateurs like myself. I have a new 27" 5k iMac, and while I have not had the problems listed about, it is not exactly brisk with RAW files from my D750. OpenCL on or off seems to make more difference. It is faster than my 8 year old MacBook Pro but not dramatically so. I know a mid range 27" iMac is no speed demon but I would have expected better speed than I am seeing and suspect it is a CO issue as PS CC is faster.

Here's hoping CO can improve things. I purchased the personal license. The speed issue is not a deal breaker yet but if it gets worse it will be.

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 03:23:21 pm »

Thanks E.J. I changed the settings and I looks stable now. I will process some batches this weekend. I'm sure, I will recognize if there are still some issues.
Thanks again. Very helpful!
Glad I could help.  It's  really a travesty how many people buy computers with advanced graphics cards but actually unkowingly have them disabled for the apps that need them the most.

sebbe

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 06:26:22 am »

Glad I could help.  It's  really a travesty how many people buy computers with advanced graphics cards but actually unkowingly have them disabled for the apps that need them the most.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up