Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Pro 10  (Read 22542 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Profoto Pro 10
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 04:15:31 am »

I would think that the B4 is the next Profoto product due for an update.

Cheers,
Bernard

FelixWu

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 06:15:13 am »

I would think that the B4 is the next Profoto product due for an update.

Cheers,
Bernard
I agree. But what’s there to update? Smaller size and lighter with significantly shorter flash duration, faster recycling, paired with HSS and LED enabled modeling lamp making it the worlds fastest location generator with TTL ? In the end they still wont sell a lot of those since the market is flooded with those OCF solutions (b1,b2,siros etc which are more affordable and gets the job done). B2 on the other hand seems to fit the recent Profoto direction which targets small to one man team and make a lot of revenue from it.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:12 am »

I agree. But what’s there to update? Smaller size and lighter with significantly shorter flash duration, faster recycling, paired with HSS and LED enabled modeling lamp making it the worlds fastest location generator with TTL ? In the end they still wont sell a lot of those since the market is flooded with those OCF solutions (b1,b2,siros etc which are more affordable and gets the job done). B2 on the other hand seems to fit the recent Profoto direction which targets small to one man team and make a lot of revenue from it.

Yes, I would expect them to simply apply to the B4 the recent improvements applied to their other products: TTL compatibility, HSS, shorter duration,...

Cheers,
Bernard

Kirk_C

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 08:16:02 pm »

The Profoto amount really shines on location while we had difficulties working with the Bron head amounts. They were just so tight to operate on the fly. Yes the move pack was significantly lighter than the B4 but with 8 photo assistants onset weight wasn’t that much of an issue at all.
It sound like the assistants didn't have experience with the Bron modifiers and mount. There's nothing difficult about it. With large modifiers it's best if you're keeping the weight of the modifier supported by letting it hang below the head as you pull towards the head on the speed ring or base of a large modifier. Then just rotate it and it comes off easily.

I have used Broncolor and Profoto for 30+ years. Both systems have their strengths. I just ordered a Broncolor Move system after renting a Profoto B4 and a Move. Color shift was insignificant on both systems, about 350K according to my Minolta color meter. But power output was higher on the Move pack and it was just easier and lighter to use.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 10:12:07 pm »

I just ordered a Broncolor Move system after renting a Profoto B4 and a Move.

You didn't want to wait until Kina to see what both companies may come up with?

The Pro-B4 is now 6 years old and my bet would be that it will be updated sooner than later.

Anyway, your Move will still be excellent obviously so it may not be a big deal...

Cheers,
Bernard

FelixWu

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2018, 11:15:48 pm »

It sound like the assistants didn't have experience with the Bron modifiers and mount. There's nothing difficult about it. With large modifiers it's best if you're keeping the weight of the modifier supported by letting it hang below the head as you pull towards the head on the speed ring or base of a large modifier. Then just rotate it and it comes off easily.

I have used Broncolor and Profoto for 30+ years. Both systems have their strengths. I just ordered a Broncolor Move system after renting a Profoto B4 and a Move. Color shift was insignificant on both systems, about 350K according to my Minolta color meter. But power output was higher on the Move pack and it was just easier and lighter to use.
Keep in mind those were the rental units. The mechanism where you had to pull to detach the mount just became very tight after heavy use. Those guys definitely knew what they were doing.

Kirk_C

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 12:10:11 am »

You didn't want to wait until Kina to see what both companies may come up with?

The only change coming to the Move system is firmware and I'll be able to have that updated on the one I just bought. If Broncolor updates anything it'll be the Siros.

I have Profoto Pro 6 Freeze 2400 and Pro 7 2400 in the studio and D1s. Unlike your B1s the D1s have their shortest duration at full power.

For short duration on location I use Profoto Acute Twin Tube heads with pairs of Acute 1200s. When I need anything faster I rent Broncolor. This Move system will be the first of at least 2 to replace the Acute systems.

Profoto is chasing the only real market of any size that's left, wedding photographers. The B1/B1X, features like TTL and modifiers like the big umbrellas with the diaper on it target the un-skilled. So I have no reason to expect they'll introduce anything at the show that'll be of interest to me.

Broncolor introduces new products when they're ready. They've never waited for trade shows.

Kirk_C

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 12:16:26 am »

Keep in mind those were the rental units. The mechanism where you had to pull to detach the mount just became very tight after heavy use. Those guys definitely knew what they were doing.

So then the issue wasn't the Bron mount vs the Profoto mount. It was a rental company renting worn out equipment. It's pretty damn hard to bend those flanges on the Bron mount so that gear was past due replacement /repair time.

Kirk_C

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 02:04:21 am »

To get shorter flash duration you need to use twin heads or flash tubes with three electrodes or a closed ring shape. The later draw a lot of amps which leads to faster aging of both, flash packs and tubes, another way is to use very high voltage like the big ones ones from Bläsing (2000Volts). Those cannot be electronically controlled though, no free lunch. We need to accept it is as good as it gets, we´ve reached the design limits a couple of years ago, nothing really groundbreaking new since broncolor´s Grafit.

I went back to re-read this thread because I joined it well after it migrated from the original post.

35 years ago we used big scary power packs and heads with linear tubes in the first studio I worked in but I can't remember the brand. I remember the name being some reference to 'sun' light. They went off with a bang, put out so much ozone you had to clear the room and stopped anything with their short duration. They were dangerous because of the high trigger voltage.

I'm not familiar with Bläsing. Sounds like something similar to what I worked with. Can you please give use details ?

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 01:55:23 pm »

I went back to re-read this thread because I joined it well after it migrated from the original post.

35 years ago we used big scary power packs and heads with linear tubes in the first studio I worked in but I can't remember the brand. I remember the name being some reference to 'sun' light. They went off with a bang, put out so much ozone you had to clear the room and stopped anything with their short duration. They were dangerous because of the high trigger voltage.

I'm not familiar with Bläsing. Sounds like something similar to what I worked with. Can you please give use details ?

Pretty sure you will love your move. We didn't have any issues running them in snow / mountains and I have used them to light from a storage room with no mains power outlet or placed in a set so you do not see the power cord. I was really amazed how long it runs off a single battery. Its just the missing modelling light, but I'm sure that is to not cannibalise their own market. I also never had any problems with their mount, for me easier than Profotos rubber snatch. This Plastic B2 on the other hand, I use it often to add some accent light but don't get me started...

The Bläsing units sound similar to what you described, huge packs, filled with metal paper capacitors and charged to 2500Volts. They had been sold in 2500, 5000 and 10000Ws units and have been used for furniture, cars and big setups that have been photographed with large format cameras (like 8x10 or 5x7) that required a small aperture. They manufactured (or even invented) some great light shapers and studio equipment. I still use some of their stuff as there is nothing else which comes close in some rare applications. They are still handcrafted on special request but I doubt there are actually any made today. Not shown on their web but can see them here: http://www.snap-rent.de/de/licht/blitzlicht/blaesing/generatoren/blaesing-generator-10000-ws
https://www.blaesingblitz.de

BTW, if you are in the States it might have been Ascor strobes, probably even more legendary :-) http://www.dasilvaphoto.com/behind-the-exposure-blog/2015/3/18/on-the-make-repair-again
https://www.facebook.com/ImmortalsProject/posts/806787556005930:0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:05:47 pm by UlfKrentz »

Kirk_C

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 09:16:27 pm »

BTW, if you are in the States it might have been Ascor strobes, probably even more legendary :-) http://www.dasilvaphoto.com/behind-the-exposure-blog/2015/3/18/on-the-make-repair-again
https://www.facebook.com/ImmortalsProject/posts/806787556005930:0

That's exactly what we had. Ascor 800 Sunlights. They were used with large hand built aluminum modifiers when shooting large sets on 8X10. They made a scary loud bang when they went off. I remember one shoot where we used 3 of them, 1 borrowed from another studio, to shoot 2 grand pianos. We all walked out of the room except for the guy with the cable release and he wore sound insulating ear protection like you use at a rifle range. There was a big exhaust fan turned on immediately after each shot to remove the ozone from the room.

Thank's very much for the information Ulf !
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up