Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Working Space For Black And White In Driver  (Read 14982 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Re: Best Working Space For Black And White In Driver
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 04:05:42 am »

Starting from RAW files, is the conversion to greyscale in the RAW developer then not the best option? The hues can be addressed to the grey values as well there. When you export AdobeRGB from there the 2.2 gamma is applied just once.

For myself no - the conversion choices are then limited to what is offered in the RAW converter and I can't use different conversions in different parts of the image.

It is however a distinction relevant to a small proportion of images (as is the prophoto choice). Gamma changes are not a concern for me at 16 bit (YMMV)

The only two RAW converters I use much are ACR in CS6 and DxO Optics Pro (with its colour space 'limits') so there may be others with different B&W options, but I've not tried them

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 04:23:40 am »

For myself no - the conversion choices are then limited to what is offered in the RAW converter and I can't use different conversions in different parts of the image.

It is however a distinction relevant to a small proportion of images (as is the prophoto choice). Gamma changes are not a concern for me at 16 bit (YMMV)

The only two RAW converters I use much are ACR in CS6 and DxO Optics Pro (with its colour space 'limits') so there may be others with different B&W options, but I've not tried them

Keith,

True, I do not know a RAW developer that does that on selections. Probably not possible either on RAW itself. Lightroom internal is ProPhoto 1.0 gamma as I understand it. It will not be the only program with a space like that. Sounds good enough to do it there.

Some analogue B&W diehards claim that the color sensitivity curves of B&W film like Tri-X can not be equaled by any digital workflow as the RGB separation already lost color information. In theory they are right but practice is another matter.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Ferp

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 05:49:19 am »

True, I do not know a RAW developer that does that on selections. Probably not possible either on RAW itself.

This was possible in Bibble5, which became Aftershot Pro.  Most of its editing options and its plugins (which injected themselves into the processing pipeline) could be applied in regions. However it was ruined when Corel bought it, and I couldn't recommend it.  That said, Photoshop would be a whole lot easier.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up