Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gray Treefrog  (Read 802 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Gray Treefrog
« on: September 11, 2016, 12:27:39 pm »

Perhaps my favorite amphibian: the gray treefrog (Hyla versicolor). I uncovered this guy while watering my orchids. He was under one of the pots. I put him in the back garden for safety, and later discovered him again, this time with my camera. Although gray treefrogs are abundant in my yard and around the eastern part of the US, I rarely see them. So, this was a special treat. I hope my photo is a treat for you as well.

Thank you for viewing, and please feel free to leave comments.

Best wishes,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Gray Treefrog
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:38:50 am »

Very nice shot. I especially like the sort of camouflage of the frog, very similar to the tree.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:07:16 am »

... I especially like the sort of camouflage of the frog, very similar to the tree.

Thanks Paulo. These frogs change their coloration, much like true chameleons, to blend into the tree bark and limbs they live on.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Sean H

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 03:06:06 pm »

Agree; I was also struck by the camouflage effect and how well it mimicked the tree bark.

Very nice shot. I especially like the sort of camouflage of the frog, very similar to the tree.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:00:50 pm »

Agree; I was also struck by the camouflage effect and how well it mimicked the tree bark.

Thanks Sean. When I uncovered him from beneath the flower pot, this guy was charcoal gray. In a matter of a few minutes, he went from that dark coloration to the mottled tan-gray of the branch I placed him on. The species "versicolor" is apt.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up