Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watendlath Beck  (Read 1806 times)

KMRennie

Watendlath Beck
« on: September 10, 2016, 07:38:39 am »

This is just above Lodore Falls in the English Lake District. It has been raining for a while and this beck is flying down the hillside. This amount of rain this early in the Autumn makes me worry about flooding later in the year but it does make for quite nice water shots IMO. Ken

stamper

Re: Watendlath Beck
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:28 am »

Very likeable. The exposure is spot on imo. Well done!

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »

Very nice. 8)
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:45:22 pm »

Wonderful movement. Excellent perspective with the tree on the left and the receding stream.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

KMRennie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:32 pm »

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. This shot is from approx 50m further downstream with a few seconds of sunshine. I went back to this location yesterday when the weather had become much clearer and brighter but the shots are not as nice to my eyes.
Ken

Sean H

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:27:59 pm »

almost has a magical quality to the water flow. Beautiful development.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. This shot is from approx 50m further downstream with a few seconds of sunshine. I went back to this location yesterday when the weather had become much clearer and brighter but the shots are not as nice to my eyes.
Ken

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 03:40:15 am »

I prefer the second one. Lovely scene.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:37:57 am »

Both good, well done.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:13:19 am »

I prefer the second one. Lovely scene.

Jeremy

+1
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

KMRennie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:57:19 pm »

Thanks again for the comments. For the last few months I have been working on how I shoot water and the relationship between water flow and shutter speed. I don't always have filters to produce the effect that I am looking for and often resort to f22 to get the shutter speed that I am looking for and damn the diffraction effects. A 3 stop ND for Christmas I think.
The first 2 shots were taken on the dull day these 2 were taken on a gloriously bright day on the next beck to the North. British photographers and "Lakeland Pencil" users will recognise Ashness Bridge, certainly the most photographed location in Cumbria and one of the most photographed in the country. Hope you like them.
Ken

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 09:37:00 am »

The second one strikes me as much stronger, fit for many a biscuit tin or packet of mint cake ;)

A couple of thoughts. If your camera allows multiple exposures, you can simulate longer exposures, though an ND is better. Also, have you photographed the bridge from below?

I do envy you living close to the region!

John

KMRennie

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 10:01:42 am »

Hi John
I also shot at f11 so can merge sharper rocks with the flowing water but couldn't see a difference at 1400 px sRGB. If I ever print either I will do the merging. I do have a little stopper but would have had to increase ISO to get the kind of shutter speed I was looking for. I have had a play with multiple exposure and smart object median stacking in photoshop but didn't bother. Living here means that I can return a little later in the year when the foliage is at its best (I hope). I prefer the vertical shot but they are both fit for a pencil box cover. Unfortunately Lakeland Pencils are no more. I have shot the bridge from below and like it but not this day. Returning tomorrow so might have a go then.
Ken

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:18:35 am »

From that second picture it looks like the bramble is turning. I was up there 3 weeks ago and everything was very green (as well as too busy!), but I carried on up to Watendlath where the heather around Dock Tarn was absolutely stunning. Might still be worthwhile.

KMRennie

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 11:00:04 am »

Thanks for that John. I will be in Keswick on Wed so may walk up to Dock Tarn , unfortunately the afternoon weather is good visibiliy (this usually means a little mushy) and not a cloud in the sky.
This evening would be perfect very good visibility, sunny intervals and a weather warning for heavy showers.
Ken

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 11:45:20 am »

As you may know, Ken, Watendlath bridge is being repaired (so that's one chocolate box shot down) but there is a temporary crossing. I'm still playing with these but they give an idea of what it was like (August 16th). Too hazy for what I wanted with the second shot, while the first one is my candidate for the Lakeland all-butter shortbread tin!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:01:11 pm by john beardsworth »
Pages: [1]   Go Up