Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contact sheet media?  (Read 3620 times)

jconly

Contact sheet media?
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:37:07 pm »

I was wondering what type of paper everyone is making their contact sheets and proof prints on?

I have been told Epson Enhanced Matte is a good selection, and am interested to know what you guys think.

Marty C

• http://www.shorephoto.com
Contact sheet media?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:27:52 pm »

I was wondering what type of paper everyone is making their contact sheets and proof prints on?

I have been told Epson Enhanced Matte is a good selection, and am interested to know what you guys think.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may want to try Epson Proofing paper, It has a nice smooth finish with a very dull gloss and it is cheaper then the enhanced matte
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 08:28:26 pm by Marty C »

jconly

Contact sheet media?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:48:35 am »

Cheaper??  

Not according to Epson's website

You may want to try Epson Proofing paper, It has a nice smooth finish with a very dull gloss and it is cheaper then the enhanced matte
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jconly

Contact sheet media?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:28:41 pm »

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would really appreciate some more feedback.

dbell

Contact sheet media?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 05:43:38 pm »

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would really appreciate some more feedback.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It depends on what paper I'm going to make the final print on. It's important (in my experience) to use the same ink (Matte Black or Photo Black;  I print on an Epson 2400, which means one or the other) and a similar surface (because I need to get an idea of how highlights and shadow detail are going to look and the surface reflectivity of the paper is a major factor).

If I'm going to make the final print on a glossy paper, I make small work prints on Epson Premium Glossy or Kodak Professional Glossy.  Both are much cheaper than my current-favorite PK-compatible papers (Pictorico White Film and Innova Fibaprint F-Type). For prints that will end up on matte papers, I generally make work prints on Epson Heavyweight Matte.

I know you're looking for general advice, but you need to experiment. Paper choice is a very subjective thing and what works for YOU in a print is probably NOT what works for me (or anyone else).

--
Daniel Bell

jconly

Contact sheet media?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 10:43:39 am »

Thanks for the insightful reply Daniel.  I understand where you are coming from, but my main interest lies with printing contact sheets.  For proof prints, it certainly does make sense to stick to the same type of surface, but my main goal here is to find a cheap medium to print out all of my shots from a series of images.  I personally find it much more benificial to review the images on paper, than on the screen.  I just feel like I get more from the images that way.  

It depends on what paper I'm going to make the final print on. It's important (in my experience) to use the same ink (Matte Black or Photo Black;  I print on an Epson 2400, which means one or the other) and a similar surface (because I need to get an idea of how highlights and shadow detail are going to look and the surface reflectivity of the paper is a major factor).

If I'm going to make the final print on a glossy paper, I make small work prints on Epson Premium Glossy or Kodak Professional Glossy.  Both are much cheaper than my current-favorite PK-compatible papers (Pictorico White Film and Innova Fibaprint F-Type). For prints that will end up on matte papers, I generally make work prints on Epson Heavyweight Matte.

I know you're looking for general advice, but you need to experiment. Paper choice is a very subjective thing and what works for YOU in a print is probably NOT what works for me (or anyone else).
--
Daniel Bell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69110\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up