Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Style?  (Read 11791 times)

Rob C

Re: Style?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=peter+lindbergh+videos&qpvt=peter+lindbergh+videos&view=detail&mid=5A309ABDF59ADB8E1B215A309ABDF59ADB8E1B21&FORM=VRDGAR

They are still so beautiful; in some ways I think them even more attractive than when they were much younger: the difference is maturity, that no amount of youthful 'sophistication' ever really catches. Dream on...

Rob

mbaginy

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 12:44:12 am »

They are still so beautiful; in some ways I think them even more attractive than when they were much younger: the difference is maturity, that no amount of youthful 'sophistication' ever really catches. Dream on...

Rob
+1
Thanks for the link, Rob!

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:53 am »

Yep. They've matured exceptionally well... lots of life.

I notice he's either adding lots of grain in processing, or shooting at high ISO, to get that Tri-X look.

He's not afraid to fill up a memory card either :)

PS: lots of style in the video too...

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 09:18:29 am »

Thank you!

Have you ever tried to work out what it is about his photos of women that makes (most of them) instantly recognizable as Newtons?

It's noticeable that he very often shoots from below eye-line, as though he always used a waist-level finder (but the men often from above)... and that typically the subject looks as though she is contemptuous of the photo(grapher). Maybe he was sufficiently confident in his status that he didn't need to create images of women who looked as though they were flirting with him... which many photographers seem to need. Which is very different to the runway model affectation of models looking as though their cat was run over by the taxi on the way to the show...

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 10:34:05 am »

Thank you!

Have you ever tried to work out what it is about his photos of women that makes (most of them) instantly recognizable as Newtons?

It's noticeable that he very often shoots from below eye-line, as though he always used a waist-level finder (but the men often from above)... and that typically the subject looks as though she is contemptuous of the photo(grapher). Maybe he was sufficiently confident in his status that he didn't need to create images of women who looked as though they were flirting with him... which many photographers seem to need. Which is very different to the runway model affectation of models looking as though their cat was run over by the taxi on the way to the show...

That's something I've wondered about too.

My feeling is that he's very careful with model selection, and then uses hard lighting (and equally hard makeup) - often on contrasty or very dark clothing, anyway - and that it's the repeated combination of these into formula that gives his look its look.

There's something that I think spells lesbian about his models, even though they may well not be. He eschews the easy smile route.

About having women look as if they are flirting with the snapper: I think it's more having them flirt with the viewer. I don't think I tended to make the mistake of thinking there was the slightest thing personal about shooting models, in the sense of expressions they give or you coax, but there certainly was a lot of personal input that led to easy working. That's not always the case with people you've never used before; it's also a good reason for doing as much research as you can on their track record just to get an idea of their apparent 'routine' which, if they work a lot, tends to show up over a collection of shoots.

On the other hand, first-shoots can also do quite the opposite, and show a side to the model you didn't know was there, just because the pix you'd seen came from snappers without the same sensibilities that you put into play which, in turn, affect the model. My one and only muse hit the G spot on her very first test with me: I got the best shots I'd ever made up to that moment the evening she showed up. Point of no return, and also the start of some little envy/dislike from some other girls in the same model agency because she got most of the work they wanted.

If there's a problem with using one model too often, its that you both fall into the easy trap of repetition. This can save your mutual bacon in some situations, but also lets you down a bit... Too much safety can be a hindrance.

Referring once more to Bailey: I think it was Penelope Tree who said "Bailey hates surprises," but it could have been any other of the long-term muses.

Didn't Donovan say that Newton didn't print his own work? Perhaps as much is owed stylistically to a long-term printer's input as to Newton's!

Rob
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:39:59 am by Rob C »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 06:10:45 pm »

I saw a doco once where Newton was in the darkroom with the printer, pretty much looking over his shoulder. So although he didn't do the printing, he was saying "burn here, dodge there, more contrast."

He was also tearing up all the fails to make sure nothing substandard slipped out the back door...

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 04:49:14 pm »

This one seems to encapsulate a lot of his work ;) ;)

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 05:24:09 pm »

This one seems to encapsulate a lot of his work ;) ;)

All that's missing is a large dog. And a medical corset or splint.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 05:22:21 am »

Now here's a fascinating story. What I found most intriguing is the reaction of some of the photographers to the model taking a measure of control...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-opposite-of-a-muse

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »

Now here's a fascinating story. What I found most intriguing is the reaction of some of the photographers to the model taking a measure of control...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-opposite-of-a-muse

Interesting indeed, and surprising she got takers for her plan. I don't quite buy her explanations, though, and have sympathy for her old man.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »

Anyway, it led me to look up Bill Henson: apparently he created quite a censorship fuss shortly before I left Australia, which I failed to notice. It's not clear how much he or his gallery provoked it for publicity reasons, or it was just the NSW Police running off the leash again (at least they didn't shoot anybody). Even the then PM made himself an idiot by getting involved.

Then again, the photos make me uncomfortable: yes, adolescents are sexual creatures, that doesn't necessarily justify making an exhibit of it.

http://www.roslynoxley9.com.au/artists/18/Bill_Henson/

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:53 pm »

Anyway, it led me to look up Bill Henson: apparently he created quite a censorship fuss shortly before I left Australia, which I failed to notice. It's not clear how much he or his gallery provoked it for publicity reasons, or it was just the NSW Police running off the leash again (at least they didn't shoot anybody). Even the then PM made himself an idiot by getting involved.

Then again, the photos make me uncomfortable: yes, adolescents are sexual creatures, that doesn't necessarily justify making an exhibit of it.

http://www.roslynoxley9.com.au/artists/18/Bill_Henson/

Funny thing: I used to love David Hamilton right until I bought his Twenty Five Years Of An Artist and had my eyes opened, not so much by the majority of the images, but by the way he wrote about himself and his motivation. It suddenly felt unhealthy. Damn him for that! Killed my pleasure in his style and grace.

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up