Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Design flaw Canon TS-E 24mm II? Stuck knob?  (Read 4063 times)

-chrille-

Design flaw Canon TS-E 24mm II? Stuck knob?
« on: August 30, 2016, 12:25:06 am »

I am buying a used Canon TS-E 24L II and searching the net for potential problems with this lens. Seems to be a very high quality made lens but one problem came up. The locking and adjustment nobs gets stuck. I am reading about this in Dpreviews, Fred Miranda, Flickr, Canon Community and also on Wikipeda. The knob stuck for no reason the user expalined, often the tilt adjustment knob. In some case Canon had to change the whole tilt-shift mechanism, expensive! Have not read an explanation why this happen and how frequent this problem really is. A known design flaw made by Canon or abuse from users?

TS-E users at Lula, have you ever encounter this problem?

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Design flaw Canon TS-E 24mm II? Stuck knob?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:32 am »

Yeah ive had them get stuck.  Have you slightly loosened the screw holding the knob in place.  Maybe that was overly tight and with the added friction of the lens motion maybe in "locked it" into its position.  Slightly adjusting those screws to be snug, but not overly wrenched might help. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

-chrille-

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:14:36 am »

Is it possible to adjust this in easy way self or have to send it to Canon service for repair?

-chrille-

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:45:25 pm »

Just picked up this lens. Both tilt and shift seems to stay very well in position without any tightening of locking knobs. Should I avoid locking the knobs as long as the tilt and shift movements held in place by it self?

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:04:00 am »

I use the locks generally, at least for tilt.  Shift I usually have unlocked.  I don't want the lens tilting if I don't intend it since it will alter the plane of focus. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:40:29 am »

searching the net for potential problems with this lens
You will only find potential problems on the net for any device because the tens of thousands of happy owners never write about it.
I have never had a "stuck knob" except when I forgot to loosen the locking screw. There is a well documented in the manual requirement to use the smaller knob on cropped sensor cameras or the knob will bind. As most people never read the manual that may be the issue.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

-chrille-

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 09:53:52 am »

Yes, that is true. I think it is user errors counting for most of the reported locked knobs on the Canon TS-E. Time will tell...

-chrille-

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

Played with this lens today and discovered that the locking knob will indeed lock itself if the locking knob is in "almost" locked position. Then the movement of tilt position affect the locking knob(yes, I can see the locking knob rotate when adjust tilt). The tilt movement locked the knob and this was really hard to get unlock again.

I can not see inside of lens or figure out how the locking knob mechanism is designed. This only affect the tilt locking knob.

So, follow the recommendation in manual and it will be all fine, hopefully :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up