Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing tilt-shift with fixed LCD, possible?  (Read 2640 times)

-chrille-

Focusing tilt-shift with fixed LCD, possible?
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:53:07 am »

I am interested in a 24 mm tilt-shift for Canon and just wonder if it is possible to set plane of focus and small adjustments for nailing the focus using the on camera fixed LCD monitor? Do I need off camera external LCD monitor? What is your recommendation? I am using Canon 6D body and subjects may be landscape, architecture and also wide field close ups of flowers.

Rado

Re: Focusing tilt-shift with fixed LCD, possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:34:36 am »

Yes, use Live View with the 5x-10x zoom function to focus/tilt. Maybe try to rent the lens to see if it's good enough for you?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:36:37 am »

I am interested in a 24 mm tilt-shift for Canon and just wonder if it is possible to set plane of focus and small adjustments for nailing the focus using the on camera fixed LCD monitor? Do I need off camera external LCD monitor? What is your recommendation? I am using Canon 6D body and subjects may be landscape, architecture and also wide field close ups of flowers.

Hi,

Yes it is possible, but not very convenient if you're shooting from a very low (or high) position. For that, an external (tablet) screen is very handy. Canon cameras are usually well supported with wired and wireless (Live View) capabilities and solutions by various sellers.

I use (with a different camera) the DSLR controller and Helicon Remote Apps on Android phones/tablets, and the former has a possibility to add a wireless option with an additional (custom flashed) TP-Link WiFi connection.

Another, preconfigured WiFi option is offered by "CamRanger".

Canon also offers a free App on Android, called "EOS Remote", which is compatible with an EOS 6D (WG)/(W).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

SrMi

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »

Yes, it is possible. I use the multi-step technique described in Rod Planck's ebook "Field Applications of Nikon PC-E and Other TS Lenses".

-chrille-

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 02:31:10 pm »

Thats good news, thanks!

BartvanderWolf: By the way and also off topic. I was playing a bit with Canon Remote EOS app on Iphone. Have you tried it? Very easy to use but I miss the 10x zoom mode. I can only zoom in 5x as max. Just tap the screen and it zooms to 5x but not to 10x. The magnifier button on camera body does also only apply 5x as max zoom in the Remote EOS application.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:02:22 pm »

Thats good news, thanks!

BartvanderWolf: By the way and also off topic. I was playing a bit with Canon Remote EOS app on Iphone. Have you tried it?

Hi,

No, it is not compatible with my EOS-1Ds Mark III. So I don't know if there is a possibility to have it zoom to 10x, or what the reason for 5x is, maybe it just mimics the body's capabilities.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

vrkaya

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:58:47 pm »

I shoot landscapes pretty much exclusively with the latest Canon 24mm and 17mm tilt shift lenses. I enjoy shooting with them and have no serious problems focusing with zoomed Live View. The 17 is, of course, a bit trickier but still no problem here. About the only thing I run into is the problem with sunlight hitting Live View, so I use a Hoodman Loupe for those situations, but usually it's just looking at the LCD.

Just pick focus spots with enough contrast/detail and you will do fine.

Regards, Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up