Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripods  (Read 5159 times)

nareshtrao

• http://
Tripods
« on: June 20, 2006, 01:49:43 pm »

I use a 5D wish a couple of lenses. Some walk-around and a few landscape. Sometimes in low-light conditions.

I'm looking for a medium weight Tripod which is easy to carry but not too large and heavy. I tried Manfroto 055 ProB Tripod with 322RC2 Ball Head. Any suggestions from those who have used these?

Appreciate advice.

Regards Naresh Rao

Jack Varney

Tripods
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:33:33 pm »

I use the Manfrotto 322RC2, in fact two of them. One is on an old and heavy Tiltall that I modifed for the head by removing the tilt head and substituting a mount I machined from UHMW plastic. To this I attached the Manfrotto Head. The other is on a Manfrotte 190MF4 that is short and light which I carry on long hikes in the mountains.

I mount a Mamiya 645AFD on these and have had good success with them. The 322RC2 with its handle provides good control over the heavier camera.
Jack Varney

sposch

Tripods
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 02:01:37 pm »

I have the 5D and recently purchased a 400DO. I've been using the 055PRO with the 322RC2 head and I'm not happy with the combo. The head is very unsmooth, it moves in jerks unless you back the tension way off and if you do back it off it won't hold the heavier lenses very solidly. It doesn't stay in place, when you release the grip it droops a bit which is frustrating with a long lens . The combo is also not very solid and vibrates for about  1/2 sec. When shooting wildlife where it is not practical to use mirror lockup I find I don't get sharp images below around 1/400 sec which means using a high ISO setting (not a problem with the 5D  )
I've just ordered a RRS BH-55 and will try it on the 055PRO.

I really like the flexibility of the 055PRO, especially for macro it's very versatile however because of the way the center column is held in place at the top of the leggs by a split block I'm a little suspisious that it contributes to the vibrations.

If the BH-55 doesn't tame the vibrations on the 055PRO I plan to get a Gitzo carbon fiber model which with the BH-55 will be a little lighter than my current setup.

Can anyone tell me how solid the Gitzos such as the Explorer 2257 with the tiltable center colunms are ?  or should I stick with the standard leg sets 1325 etc ?

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:32:26 am by sposch »

996sps

Tripods
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:39:18 pm »

I use a 5D wish a couple of lenses. Some walk-around and a few landscape. Sometimes in low-light conditions.

I'm looking for a medium weight Tripod which is easy to carry but not too large and heavy. I tried Manfroto 055 ProB Tripod with 322RC2 Ball Head. Any suggestions from those who have used these?

Appreciate advice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68657\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used to have the above combo albeit a 190B Pro and 322RC pistol grip with my 350D but once I got the 5D I found this was insufficient for my needs especially the ball head.

Did a lot of reading/research on the net and eventually bit the bullet and went with a RRS BH-55 ballhead and Gitzo 1325 CF. I have  also a Wimberley Sidekick for my birding requirements.This combo is even lighter than the 055B + 322RC but is expensive unfortunately.

I reckon once you start using heavier lenses etc it may be wise to switch over to the Swiss Arca type of mounts.

Sinuk

Tripods
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 04:30:18 pm »

Appreciate advice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68657\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Over the years I have used various tripod and head combinations.  Depending on the main purpose of the shoot I may select a particular set up.  I have used Gitzo, Bogen/Manfrotto, Slik, and other tripods and various heads.  Recently I wanted an in-between ‘mountain light’ and ‘weight is no concern’ with panning ballhead rig.  I had read that the Kirk BH-3 provides solid support for up to medium long lenses.  I use the Kirk BH-1 a lot on my larger Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods.  I really like my ‘mountain light’ Manfrotto 190MF4 but it is too light in windy conditions.  I purchased a Kirk BH-3 and a Manfrotto 055MF3, a larger version of the 190MF4.  I am really happy with this rig.  Lightweight, stable up to my Nikon 200-400VR (I have not tried anything larger yet) and versatile.  The BH-3 is smooth and positive in lock up.  This rig could turn into my general purpose set up.

nareshtrao

Tripods
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 02:57:06 am »

Dear All,

Thanks indeed for your responses. Appreciate...

Over the years I have used various tripod and head combinations.  Depending on the main purpose of the shoot I may select a particular set up.  I have used Gitzo, Bogen/Manfrotto, Slik, and other tripods and various heads.  Recently I wanted an in-between ‘mountain light’ and ‘weight is no concern’ with panning ballhead rig.  I had read that the Kirk BH-3 provides solid support for up to medium long lenses.  I use the Kirk BH-1 a lot on my larger Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods.  I really like my ‘mountain light’ Manfrotto 190MF4 but it is too light in windy conditions.  I purchased a Kirk BH-3 and a Manfrotto 055MF3, a larger version of the 190MF4.  I am really happy with this rig.  Lightweight, stable up to my Nikon 200-400VR (I have not tried anything larger yet) and versatile.  The BH-3 is smooth and positive in lock up.  This rig could turn into my general purpose set up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Regards Naresh Rao

Akiss

Tripods
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:47:19 am »

very good tripod and it is the best you can get for the money you will spent and you can do preety much everything. I have the junior head on top with a quick release and I am very happy about it.. I put the 1Ds mk II with heavy lenses and have no problem whatsoever.. Akiss
[url=http://www.akissparaskevopoulos.com

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Tripods
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 03:21:47 pm »

Quote from: nareshtrao,Jun 20 2006, 05:49 PM

I have used a Gitzo 1325 with an Acratech ball head for more than a year and have been very happy with the combination.  Light weight, very stable, easy to set up and level, and adjustable from ground height (for shooting macros or very low shots) to full height.

From my past experience, I would avoid any tripod with a center column.

If you don't already have them, a double bubble level for your flash shoe and an L-bracket are very useful. I always recommend using a remote cable and mirror lock up for landscapes.

nareshtrao

Tripods
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 02:50:49 am »

very good tripod and it is the best you can get for the money you will spent and you can do preety much everything. I have the junior head on top with a quick release and I am very happy about it.. I put the 1Ds mk II with heavy lenses and have no problem whatsoever.. Akiss
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69232\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply. Were you referring to the Manfrotto Pro55B?

Regards Naresh Rao
Pages: [1]   Go Up