Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki Photo / Design - Monitor Profiles Too Dark on a Mac  (Read 3755 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

In April 2015 I posted this on the Luminous Landscape Forum:
ColorMunki Photo / ColorMunki Design Not Fit For Purpose (OSX)

In brief, the (relatively) new version of the ColorMunki software v1.2.1 was producing profiles with a slightly sepia hue and crushed blacks.   In the absence of any fix materialising I wrote a very forthright letter to the Managing Director of X-Rite in the UK, earlier this month, indicating the possibility of legal action and the involvement of UK Trading Standards should a fix not be provided.  This provoked a rapid response from European Technical Support with a workaround.

In essence the problem is that the installer does not remove all of the older files (from v1.1.1) which were in some way interfering with the ColorMunki software’s ability to produce accurate monitor profiles.  X-Rite do not know precisely which files are causing the problem.  I have tested this workaround with Mac OSX Lion (10.7.5) and El Capitan (10.11.6) and it does solve the issue.  Of note is that the new software uses many more hues to build monitor profiles than the earlier versions.

The workaround is complex and requires some patience.

It is necessary to remove these files and the reinstall ColorMunki 1.2.1:
   1) MacHD > Applications: Delete ‘ColorMunki Photo / Design’ program folder
   2) MacHD > Library...
       •   Application Support: Delete ‘X-Rite’ and ‘ColorMunki’ folder
       •   ColorPickers: Delete 'colormunki colorpicker' file
       •    Launch Demons: Delete 'com.x-rite...' file
       •   Launch Agents: Delete all x-rite files
       •   Frameworks: Delete all included ‘X-Rite…’ frameworks and aliases (4 files)
       •   Logs: Delete all colormunki / x-rite related logs (colormunkid.log, DisplayLogger.txt, MeasuredPatchesLogger.txt,
                SumoTrayLogger.txt,...)
   3) MacHD > Users > Username > Library
       •   Application Support: Delete ‘ColorMunki’ folder
       •   Logs: Delete all colormunki / x-rite related logs (colormunkid.log, DisplayLogger.txt, MeasuredPatchesLogger.txt,
                SumoTrayLogger.txt,...)
       •   Preference Panes: Delete 'XRiteDeviceServices.prefPane' (old XRD v1 relict, installed with CMPH / CMDE v1.1.1)
        •   Preferences: Delete all 'com.xrite…' preferences files
  4) System Preferences > User Accounts > Your User Account > Login Items: Delete 'ColorMunki xxx Tray'
Once you have done that, restart, and install version 1.2.0 (or the latest available) for ColorMunki Design or 1.2.1 for ColorMunki Photo.

Of course, the installer should be doing this work but for some reason the ColorMunki software designers couldn’t be bothered; or something…

X-Rite is owned by Danaher Corporation, whose total revenue in 2013 was over $19 billion.  In this context it represents very small cost to X-Rite to pay for a fix this problem; and promptly.  But will they ? (rhetorical question).  Clearly they'd rather not bother.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: ColorMunki Photo / Design - Monitor Profiles Too Dark on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »

Of course, the installer should be doing this work but for some reason the ColorMunki software designers couldn’t be bothered; or something…
Absolutely! If software is going to add stuff all over the place, with bkgnd processing, they should provide a true uninstaller that trashes all that stuff! It's not just ColorMunki software, i1Profiler is the same.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »

Since you have to toss Mac OS System files I wonder if when initially installing X-rite software the user gets a Mac OS X login dialog box which always happens with Adobe installers even for updating Flash. I love nagging software installers and OS warnings to tell me something's not Kosher. Firefox is great at doing this when visiting suspicious sites. I can't imagine an OS being this lax with installers.

I'm just speculating, but buggy installers was so Mac OS 8 & 9 over ten years ago. Mac OS switching to a Linux/Unix style OS was suppose to prevent or at least attempt to mitigate crap software installers from doing this to the system.

I'm surprised the Mac OS didn't give some kind of warning about nasty software doing bad stuff during and after the install.

I don't know because what I've read in this thread and the other Simon linked to tells me I better hold off upgrading the OS and of course my Colormunki Display software which is working just fine in OS 10.6.8/Colormunki Display 1.0.2.

What a mess! Good luck on this, Simon.

N80

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:10 am »

Stupid question here, but I'm considering buying ColorMunki Photo to calibrate my new 27" iMac Retina 5K (El Capitan): If I have never installed X-Rite, or any other calibration software, then this issue will not affect me, right?
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:29 am »

Stupid question here, but I'm considering buying ColorMunki Photo to calibrate my new 27" iMac Retina 5K (El Capitan): If I have never installed X-Rite, or any other calibration software, then this issue will not affect me, right?

No, you're safe !  You can enjoy the ColorMunki in all its glory; and it’s a very cunning device.  Just make sure it comes with the latest software (v1.2.1); or else download it from X-Rite’s website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up