Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Property Release  (Read 3080 times)

Chris Livsey

Property Release
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:32 pm »

I am struggling to find guidance on property releases, much is confusing on the web, I presume because of a degree of legislative difference between countries, I am UK.
If I have a shot like this:

A public building, non-commercial, shot from a public space (street) do I need a property release for commercial as opposed to editorial use?

Extending that, if that were a commercial property say a bank I assume a release is required but if I removed any identifying logos would it still need a release?

Finally, thank you for your patience, a shot like this taken from a public place of a private non commercial property, release required, or does it depend on being able to identify the individual property?

I appreciate that obtaining a release in whatever circumstances is the best answer but that is not always possible.

Chris Livsey

Re: Property Release
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:41:02 am »

Chris,

The short answer is it depends.

I rather thought that  ;) 

Your detailed answer is appreciated, potentially a new area for my work and forewarned is forearmed.
Libraries and agencies these days handle so much volume actually finding someone who has been in the business above 6 months is a struggle and one that is just not worth the effort, the photographer is expected to know all the answers.
Permission v signed release is an interesting distinction.
There are apps now allowing a release to be completed on the mobile BTW.

Thanks again.

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:54:38 am »

Phil Brown

georgem

• Architecture - Landscape - Nature
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:56:19 am »

This might help:

http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk/photography/Legal/Access_Rights.htm

Very useful -thanks!

This also might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_panorama
The german version of this page contains much more information, including a more comprehensive list of countries and their respective attitudes towards freedom of panorama. Lots of reading, good luck.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 02:17:15 pm »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:13 pm »

This also might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_panorama
The german version of this page contains much more information, including a more comprehensive list of countries and their respective attitudes towards freedom of panorama. Lots of reading, good luck.

"panorama" wasn't on my search criteria  :o
Appreciated

brianrybolt

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:22:20 pm »

These are two really useful links for knowing your rights.

The problem is that out there in the real world, the security guard sent out of a building to confront you will never of heard of Freedom of Panorama.

His view will be "It is our building and you cannot photograph it." He will believe this is the law and so will his superiors. So you need to develop a strategy to deal with these situations.

Paul

This has happened to me a few times when photographing buildings in London.  I have tried to explain to the security people that what I am doing is legal.  Of course they know better and at times have stood in front of my camera blocking my view.  Finally I just tell them to call the police and have me arrested.  In one instance the police came and told the guards that I am in my legal rights.  Other times I just kept on shooting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up