Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your input on Sirui R-5214XL, RRS TVC-34L, Feisol CT-3472LV tripods  (Read 4366 times)

Robert.W

• Robert Waltman Photography

Hi all,

I've been researching these three tripods for the past 2-3 months and am having a difficult time deciding. The tripods Sirui R-5214XL, RRS TVC-34L, and Feisol CT-3472LV all pretty much fit the bill.

This Sirui specifically is not officially sold in the United States but from what I understand they've been around for about 10 years and are fairly popular in the Far East and to some extent in Europe.

Really Right Stuff of course is made in the United States and has a pretty big following here.

Feisol has also been around for a number of years and from what I've read have a decent reputation.

price-wise the RRS is of course the most expensive at $1045. The Sirui I can get for about $700 and the Feisol at $657.

While I don't mind saving a few dollars I'm trying to figure out if the Sirui RX line is pretty much on the same level (or very close to) the RRS. The Feisol seemingly may be the weakest link in terms of quality but then again it's a savings of about $400 though that's not to say that it isn't a fantastic tripod.

So...I would love to hear from folks who've actually used these tripods and your thoughts on them.

For those that are bound to ask I'm getting the FLM CB-58FTR ballhead.

The Sirui comes with a 6 year warranty, the RRS is a 5 year warranty and the Feisol I believe is a 3 year warranty.

also one of my criteria is that it's a tall tripod without a center column. Here again the Sirui wins with the RRS coming in second and Feisol bringing up the rear as the shortest at 59".

In this day and age is the RRS still that much more superior to warrant spending an extra $400 over the other two.

So...what do all of you think?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rob

NancyP

Re: Your input on Sirui R-5214XL, RRS TVC-34L, Feisol CT-3472LV tripods
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »

I have the Feisol 3472. It's a very good tripod, overkill for most of my needs. I then got a Feisol 3342 for a very light and compact fast hiking / travel pod - it's basically a scaled down pod, very similar to 3472. Now the 3472 is used for really long lenses or occasionally for macro. I do 30 sec exposures  with both (star-scapes). I haven't used the other tripods listed.

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:41:28 pm »

Hi all,

I've been researching these three tripods for the past 2-3 months and am having a difficult time deciding. The tripods Sirui R-5214XL, RRS TVC-34L, and Feisol CT-3472LV all pretty much fit the bill.

I have the RRS 34L and love it.  It is typical RRS if you use their other stuff.

I recently purchased a N2205x  Sirui travel tripod.  Bought it directly from China with the K-20x ball head.  It came with free shipping in like 5 or 6 days.  Bought from ebay.  The quality is very good for the price so if the specs are similar, you can figure you are getting good value.

Robert.W

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 11:35:56 pm »

Thank you both for your input.

I should have mentioned that I will be using some long lenses (up to 600mm) so I'm looking for something that will hold that and withstand wind.

@dwswager I've looked at the N line but that won't do the trick for me. The RX line of Sirui is not sold in the United States. I have no idea why. It is however used my many pros in the Far East and Europe, even in Canada. I can get it from about three different sources. A couple on eBay, one in China and one in Canada. The Chinese source answered me honestly when I asked about the warranty in that I would have to send it to China for warranty work, at my expense. By the way the RX line sells for $1000+ in Europe, Japan, New Zealand, and around $1400 Canadian. So price-wise it's on par as the RRS. What I really don't like about RRS is that they nickle and dime you for a bag and for spikes. I mean really? Spikes? They can't give you a set of spikes? I don't know, that just rubs me the wrong way when you're spending north of $1000 for a tripod.

I'll sleep on it and make my mind up tomorrow.

EDIT: Holy crap!!! $93 for a set of spikes. That's disgusting!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:37:35 am by Robert.W »

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 01:05:01 am »

Can't help you with the tripods other than to say RRS is good...

For spikes, get a set of Gitzo G1220129B3 replacement feet.  Comes with a set of spikes and 2 sets of rubber feet (large & small) to cover the spikes.  Then get another set of generic spikes , and you've got 2 complete sets.

Gitzo G1220129B3 $55
Benro Spikes $14

Robert.W

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 02:33:23 am »

But do they fit RRS tubes?

For spikes, get a set of Gitzo G1220129B3 replacement feet.  Comes with a set of spikes and 2 sets of rubber feet (large & small) to cover the spikes.  Then get another set of generic spikes , and you've got 2 complete sets.

Gitzo G1220129B3 $55
Benro Spikes $14

Cornfield

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:50:04 am »

I have the Feisol and it is very good and.  Excellent build quality with great performance.

Robert.W

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 10:23:47 am »

Alan, are you saying that these GItzo spikes and replacement feet fit the RRS tripod?

Gitzo G1220129B3 $55
Benro Spikes $14

alan_b

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 11:34:04 am »

Yes - here's the large foot & washer on a RRS 24L, and the small feet on a Gitzo for comparison.  They're 3/8" 16 threads which is pretty standard on tripods with removable feet.

Robert.W

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 11:48:46 am »

Thank you!! That just might have put it over the top for me for the TVC-34L. $55 is fair for 3 spikes and 3 rubber feet. Makes it a lot more palatable for me  :)

Thank you so much for pointing this out to me!!

Yes - here's the large foot & washer on a RRS 24L, and the small feet on a Gitzo for comparison.  They're 3/8" 16 threads which is pretty standard on tripods with removable feet.

Robert.W

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 05:56:02 pm »

Hi Alan,

This is going to sound like some bull story but earlier today I finally decided to buy the RRS tripod. I went to the website, created my account, entered the payment information and...just as my finger was about to click the mouse button...boom!!! The power went out :'(

Upon coming back on about an hour later I found that the power supply on my PC failed. I'm hoping that's all it is. But I took all this as a sign that I should save a few dollars and I went ahead and ordered the Feisol through B&H.

Now, my question to you is: will these Gitzo spikes/feet fit the Feisol? I can't find anything regarding the thread type but I saw a YouTube video where the guy said he had problems finding spikes that fit properly. I know that Feisol makes spikes for this tripod but I don't care for their shape and design.

What a day man!! I'm praying that the power stays on. We've had 5 blackouts in the last 36 hours. The worst thing is that it's just about the two hottest days of the year so far  :'( I hate the heat. October can't get here fast enough!!!

alan_b

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 08:20:10 pm »

Now, my question to you is: will these Gitzo spikes/feet fit the Feisol?

No idea, sorry.  B&H might be able to tell you.

dwswager

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:06 pm »

Thank you both for your input.

I should have mentioned that I will be using some long lenses (up to 600mm) so I'm looking for something that will hold that and withstand wind.

@dwswager I've looked at the N line but that won't do the trick for me. The RX line of Sirui is not sold in the United States. I have no idea why. It is however used my many pros in the Far East and Europe, even in Canada. I can get it from about three different sources. A couple on eBay, one in China and one in Canada. The Chinese source answered me honestly when I asked about the warranty in that I would have to send it to China for warranty work, at my expense. By the way the RX line sells for $1000+ in Europe, Japan, New Zealand, and around $1400 Canadian. So price-wise it's on par as the RRS. What I really don't like about RRS is that they nickle and dime you for a bag and for spikes. I mean really? Spikes? They can't give you a set of spikes? I don't know, that just rubs me the wrong way when you're spending north of $1000 for a tripod.

I'll sleep on it and make my mind up tomorrow.

EDIT: Holy crap!!! $93 for a set of spikes. That's disgusting!!!

Yeah, the NX is a travel tripod line that has legs that reverse 180 degrees.  I bought it for a trip to spain and the  200 series is not near enough to hold long lenses.  The real key is to look at tube diameters at the top and bottom.  My RRS 34L is gigantic next to my Sirui.  But Sirui are well made.  So if you buy the appropriate size Sirui, I think you would be happy.  I've been buying from RRS for about 18 years and have always had good luck with their stuff.

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 06:49:19 pm »

Feisol spikes are dirt cheap.

Robert.W

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 07:06:17 pm »

Feisol spikes are dirt cheap.
youre right they are, $9 each so $27 for three. I'm just not crazy about the design. I would prefer a longer spike that I either install for each use as needed or the kind that have a rubber boot over the spike that you remove. The Feisol spikes look to be quite short and I think the rubber boot screws up to reveal it then back down to hide it. I would hate to scratch a floor or something not realizing that the spike is peaking out. I don't remember what kind of tripod it was but I saw something like this happen to a friend of mine a few years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up