Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM  (Read 3556 times)

Alan Matuka

• Alan Matuka Photography
Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:49:33 am »

Hi,

I need a new mid-range zoom for Canon 5d mk II and Canon 24 - 70 mark II would be an ideal choice. However, I am thinking about more affordable option and  Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 ( mark II, or new version ) is my first choice. Alternative choice would be Sigma 24 - 105 f4 DG OS HSM Art. They cost almost the same, later being marginally more dear.

I tried to find comparison test, and apparently there isn't one. Also, I wrote to Sigma and they said :

' Optically the lenses are both very similar, with the only real difference being the focal length. Being very similar priced, with the 24-105mm being a little more due to the extra glass '.

Do you have any experience with either ( or both ) of them, and which one would you favour ?

So far I've been using Canon 28 - 135 as my walk-around lens, and expect to get much sharper and crispier images with my new lens.

Thanks

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Erik Kaffehr

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »

Rumour is that there will be a mk3 of the Sigma in the next few months: the mk2 is already quite old. Test results suggest it is a bit soft wide open.
I have the mk 1, which I don't use any more: at f/2.8 it really is very noticeably soft right across the frame, no pixel-peeping required.

Interesting that my 70-200/2.8 of the same era is still razor sharp wide open. I also have the 17-50 since I'm on APS: if the new 24-70 is as good as that for FF, it will be excellent.

Alan Matuka

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »

Hi,

The digital picture may be a good source of information.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=805&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=918&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Best regards
Erik

Had a look at the test, 24 - 105 seems to ba a way better.
Guess I should wait for new Sigma to come out.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »

I've always felt the Tamrons were better in the wides vs the Sigma. Perhaps thats different on this one.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Alan Matuka

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 05:29:34 am »

I've always felt the Tamrons were better in the wides vs the Sigma. Perhaps thats different on this one.

Sigma and Tamron are similar quality third party lenses. Still, Sigma seems a bit more widespread, so I'm biased...

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:01:19 am »

Sigma and Tamron are similar quality third party lenses. Still, Sigma seems a bit more widespread, so I'm biased...

The Sigma Art lenses are better than their Nikon/Canon counterparts. I just wish they'd make them in a native E-mount, rather than relying on adapters.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:21:56 am »

I have had the pleasure of testing every 24-70 f/2.8 on the market.  If the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L Mk II is off the table, the next best lens is the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC - it is significantly superior to Sigma's current offering as Sigma has not yet come out with an "Art" version of that lens but a Sibma Art version is expected in the foreseeable future and, based on Sigma Art lenses so far, will likely be superior to the Tamron.  But if you need a lens right now and can't get the Canon, get the Tamron.

shadowblade

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 03:15:22 am »

I have had the pleasure of testing every 24-70 f/2.8 on the market.  If the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L Mk II is off the table, the next best lens is the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC - it is significantly superior to Sigma's current offering as Sigma has not yet come out with an "Art" version of that lens but a Sibma Art version is expected in the foreseeable future and, based on Sigma Art lenses so far, will likely be superior to the Tamron.  But if you need a lens right now and can't get the Canon, get the Tamron.

Better than the Nikon 24-70?

The Leica SL 24-90 is also pretty spectacular, but has the disadvantage of having a variable max aperture. You also can't fit it on a Canon.

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:59:08 am »

Better than the Nikon 24-70?

The Leica SL 24-90 is also pretty spectacular, but has the disadvantage of having a variable max aperture. You also can't fit it on a Canon.
He is looking for a Canon mount lens.  The Nikon or Leica is irrelevant to the OP's question.

The Nikon 24-70's are a bit of an enigma.  The old G lens is better in the center than the new E lens. the new E-lens is better in the corners than the older G lens.  The Tamron is very competitive to the Nikons for optical quality but not up to the Nikon build quality but for the money, the Tamron is probably the best option for the money for Nikon as long as your usage model doesn't put a beating on the lens.

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 11:04:14 am »

He is looking for a Canon mount lens.  The Nikon or Leica is irrelevant to the OP's question.

The Nikon 24-70's are a bit of an enigma.  The old G lens is better in the center than the new E lens. the new E-lens is better in the corners than the older G lens.  The Tamron is very competitive to the Nikons for optical quality but not up to the Nikon build quality but for the money, the Tamron is probably the best option for the money for Nikon as long as your usage model doesn't put a beating on the lens.

You can mount a Nikon lens on a Canon body via an adapter. Back in the days of the 5D2, I was using a Nikon 14-24 on it, since Canon had no decent UWA lens (now I mount it to an A7r/A7r2 via an adapter). No AF, though, so it depends what you shoot.

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 06:52:14 pm »

You can mount a Nikon lens on a Canon body via an adapter. Back in the days of the 5D2, I was using a Nikon 14-24 on it, since Canon had no decent UWA lens (now I mount it to an A7r/A7r2 via an adapter). No AF, though, so it depends what you shoot.
Sure, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking about!  He is clearly asking about native Canon EF mount lenses.  An adapted Nikon lens that is manual focus only, as you said, with an adapter and a fiddly aperture stop down mechanism is not what he would want in a "walking around lens"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:56:08 pm by E.J. Peiker »

Alan Matuka

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 07:51:08 pm »

Thanks for the answers. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll wait for Sigma Art version. Rumor has it 24 - 70 will be next one coming out, guess it's worth waiting for.
To be honest I don't know anyone using Tamron, it's either Canon or Sigma. As I said I'm biased...
As I said Canon 24 - 70 would be my first choice, mark 2 produces great images...
Pages: [1]   Go Up