Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Slow Work Of Winter  (Read 1015 times)

leeonmaui

The Slow Work Of Winter
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:42:49 am »

Patagonia, Fitz Roy
Pentax 645D
pentax 645 400mm FA

stamper

Re: The Slow Work Of Winter
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 03:43:37 am »

A very fine image. Subdued compared with your earlier postings. A new direction for you?

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:20 am »

A very fine image. Subdued compared with your earlier postings. A new direction for you?

I prefer this one cause I find most of others a bit saturated.

Thierry

leeonmaui

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 07:11:59 pm »

Aloha,

Hardly lol, I'd go broke in a hurry trying to sell that....
Its from a series of long lens work on a bad Light day in Patagonia, on days like that, I'll just wander around shooting things that aren't so dependent on great light, just playing around, keeping loose and thinking.
But I shoot tons of stuff and love to try different things, thats whats so exciting about photography right! With just a couple of nice lenses, a bit of light and an active mind, the creative opportunities are virtually limitless.
I shoot lots of things, and approach each location with an open mind, but I do look for things that will look good with lots of color, its my bread and butter, the way I pay my rent.
Another thing, I live in Hawaii, if you drive around the east side and make the rise up to Makapuu lookout at 10 or so in the morning, you'll get the most amazing blast of color, I shoot with a CPL so I'm always getting rich color, but trust me, on a good day, the colors are there.
If you're in Minnesota or the UK or Iceland, its going to be pretty bleak normally, heavy colors look odd to your eyes, out of place, its just the way you see things, all drab and flat. Then you'll shoot a pile of rock and fret over which angle presents the rocks best, you won't shoot black and white, it will just look like it cause the light sucks so bad! And again don't get me wrong I like a nice pile of rocks as much as the next guy, I just can't sell print of a pile of rocks shot under crap light.
If I find a location that really gets me going, I'll wait and wait, I'll come back if I have to, but I won't shoot it in crap light, and get crap color.

In large format photographic prints, color sells, not always but as a rule.
And sure I all know lots of guys do well with black and white, one of my all time favorite working photographers works elusively in black and white and infrared as far as I can tell. His prints sell out and sell for $10,000-$50,000
And yes the most expensive photograph ever sold was a black and white...

People use my stuff to bring color and life into there houses, and I'm ok with that.
I love it when people buy a big black and white print from me or a shot that is outside my normal portfolio, but thats rare indeed.
I sold just under $500,000 worth of prints last year, and maybe $20,000 of that was black and white or shots that you could consider had a different aesthetic feel than my normal Portfolio. That doesn't mean I'll stop working on different things, but alway for a location I'm looking to get something with a blast of color, I'm choosing locations and times for the location, when I think, I'll have the best chances for it, and based solely on it, but thats certainly not all That I'll do there. I take gobs a gobs of pictures, most of which won't ever make their way to a print, but maybe it leads to an idea, and then to another trip to work on that idea.
And really for me it truly doesn't matter as long as I can keep a camera in my hand and an idea in my head...

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:31:02 am »

The light is a bit uninteresting. Good textures, even on the snow. I would try to extract a bit more detail from the clouds.

Sean H

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »

The Oahu image is beautiful. You've really carved a niche for yourself with the saturation. I like the sky. Thanks for the story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up