Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S on Safari........  (Read 1757 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Leica S on Safari........
« on: August 06, 2016, 02:09:07 am »

Well I'm heading back to Tanzania in Feb for another 9 day safari. Last time I went in January this year I took WAY to much gear. Below is what I took;
Nikon D810 with 600mm f4 lens attached
Nikon D4s with 300mm f2.8 attached
Nikon D800 with 70/200mm f2.8 attached
Nikon 14/24 f2.8 loose
Wimberly head
That was about it.

Getting all that to Tanzania from Malaysia was ugly, especially when I took the local flight from Dar Salam to Kilimanjaro ........bribes were involved then air stewardess's getting pissed off.

While on that Safari I used the;
600mm 90% of the time
300mm 3% of the time
70/200mm 10% of the time
14/24mm siltch

This time I am taking;
Nikon D5 with 600mm attached
Leica S 120mm attached
Leica Q
Wimberly head
I still expect to use the 600mm 90% of the time and the rest with the Leica 120mm......my favourite lens ever :)

I am really hoping to get some nice animal scapes with my Leica S and maybe even some big animal close ups..............
My Q will get any camp pictures and maybe an odd landscape as well.

Has anyone else taken Leica S on Safari??
Neil

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Leica S on Safari........
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:54:13 am »

Taking the S could be fun, but is it really a rationale choice?

I would personnally keep the S home and go instead with the D810 (or next gen high res Nikon body that is likely to be available by then) and mount the new 105mm f1.4 on it.

This will ensure you have a back up for your long lens in case the D5 dies. It will also keep your pack a bit lighter and more compact, will make battery mgt easier (especially if you fit the D810 with its battery pack),...

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Bernard

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:18:02 am »

Taking the S could be fun, but is it really a rationale choice?

I would personnally keep the S home and go instead with the D810 (or next gen high res Nikon body that is likely to be available by then) and mount the new 105mm f1.4 on it.

This will ensure you have a back up for your long lens in case the D5 dies. It will also keep your pack a bit lighter and more compact, will make battery mgt easier (especially if you fit the D810 with its battery pack),...

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Bernard
I hear you Bernard, quite a few others have said the same on the Leica forum. I forgot to mention that my wife will be taking 2 x D810 bodies with her so I have a backup there but in reality D5's don't break down......do they?
Neil

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »

I hear you Bernard, quite a few others have said the same on the Leica forum. I forgot to mention that my wife will be taking 2 x D810 bodies with her so I have a backup there but in reality D5's don't break down......do they?
Neil

Hi Neil,

Ok, then you should be fine.

Yes, the D5 won't break... until the day it does. ;) But yes, it is probably the most rugged body out there.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up