Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grids for Para 88  (Read 5192 times)

DrakeJ

Grids for Para 88
« on: August 05, 2016, 06:54:38 am »

I'm curious if anyone has bought a grid from another brand than Broncolor for their Para modifier and simply used gaffer tape or something to hold it in place if it didn't fit 100%. Have a difficult time buying a grid for the money Broncolor asks out of principle.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Grids for Para 88
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 12:20:49 pm »

I'm curious if anyone has bought a grid from another brand than Broncolor for their Para modifier and simply used gaffer tape or something to hold it in place if it didn't fit 100%. Have a difficult time buying a grid for the money Broncolor asks out of principle.

You may look at light tools, they also have very good stuff, I use these on my chimeras. Never seen the one from broncolor, so I cannot comment on it but I would avoid gaffer tape on the umbrella. The para has those little balls in the front you could easily use some C47 to fix a gel, diffusor or grid. But go and ask at Briese and you´ll consider broncolor´s eggcrate a bargain ;-)

DrakeJ

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:42:08 am »

You may look at light tools, they also have very good stuff, I use these on my chimeras. Never seen the one from broncolor, so I cannot comment on it but I would avoid gaffer tape on the umbrella. The para has those little balls in the front you could easily use some C47 to fix a gel, diffusor or grid. But go and ask at Briese and you´ll consider broncolor´s eggcrate a bargain ;-)

Thanks Ulf, I'll check it out.

In theory if I can find a grid which has about the same dimensions I would be able to attach it to the pins that stick out of the para and simply stretch it to keep it in place or use gaffer tape, even if you don't recommend that ;)

It would be interesting if someone else found a grid from another brand which could just be plug n' play.

FelixWu

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:33:29 am »

Have you tried the grid from 3ft octa?

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:37:00 am »

I've tried a 3' octa grid (attached with bulldog clips)on the 88 - not quite large enough. You need something a shade larger. A grid from a 3x4' will fit - but you need to bundle up quite an excess.

DrakeJ

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:50:07 pm »

I've tried a 3' octa grid (attached with bulldog clips)on the 88 - not quite large enough. You need something a shade larger. A grid from a 3x4' will fit - but you need to bundle up quite an excess.

So basically a grid the size of a 100cm (3.3ft) octa should do the trick. If only Elinchrom made cheap grids...

DGM1

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 11:02:45 pm »

Have you tried a Shop in Canada called Strobe Pro for a Grid?

Kirk_C

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 01:03:32 am »

Have you tried a Shop in Canada called Strobe Pro for a Grid?

FYI The post you're replying to is from 17 months ago. Perhaps he's still looking for a grid.

The para 88 grid is 35" in diameter and designed to fit over the outside, fastening to it by the end of the Para rods. It costs $847 at B&H.

The StrobePro grids fasten with Velcro on the inside of the modifier, though they don't have anything the size of a Para 88. Interestingly their grids are $59 Canadian. That's pretty inexpensive and you have to wonder where is China they can even make something for so little.

There are a number of companies trying to knock off the Para. The Cheetah Rice Bowl is closer in size to the Para 88 and comes with a grid. http://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/rb-90t.htm

kitaoka

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:48:47 pm »

Not sure if it will fit the Para, but it may come close:
https://www.parabolixlight.com/product-page/ReflectorGrid
Pages: [1]   Go Up