Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will panorama "Fill" make it from PS to LR?  (Read 2101 times)

dreed

Will panorama "Fill" make it from PS to LR?
« on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:50 am »

The new "Fill" option with PS panorama is quite useful in many different circumstances (providing that you recognise its limits.) Is this likely to come across into LR or is it out of scope for LR because it isn't a parametric change? (Neither are the HDR/Panorama merges but...)

Denis de Gannes

Re: Will panorama "Fill" make it from PS to LR?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:30:56 am »

If you are referring to the boundary warp feature for merge to panorama, introduced in ACR 9.4 then yes this was also introduced in LR CC 2015.4. (Creative Cloud members)
See this link http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/01
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:35:25 am by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

dreed

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:48:57 am »

No, not referring to boundary warp. The "Fill" is much more flexible than that.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:20 am »

Maybe it would help if you called it "content aware fill", if that's what you mean. To answer your question, did people ever think it likely that panorama merging would come to Lightroom? Probably not, but it did. So same thing with content aware fill.

MBehrens

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »

Hopefully the Crop Edges -Content Aware Fill will come too. Hopefully before the Pano CAF, the boundary warp works pretty well AFAIC.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:16:28 pm »

Extensive content aware fill is a pixel based concept which is creating data, and often needs a little touching up.  While nothing would surprise me anymore, this seems a pretty daunting challenge to manage with a metadata instruction set.

Even the current spot tool in Lightroom which is somewhat content aware and is very good isn’t in the same league as the healing brush in PS.

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:21:17 am »

Extensive content aware fill is a pixel based concept which is creating data, and often needs a little touching up.  While nothing would surprise me anymore, this seems a pretty daunting challenge to manage with a metadata instruction set.

Even the current spot tool in Lightroom which is somewhat content aware and is very good isn’t in the same league as the healing brush in PS.

I  have to agree with Wayne that this probably is beyond LR and a reason to actually use PS.  This is creating new data that wasn't there before rather manipulating existing data.  While I prefer to do multi-shot stitching in LR with the RAW images, a neat test would be trying to recreate the same image both ways.  First outputting the RAW to pixel based images, merging and then using content aware fill to expand.  Then try merging in LR, outputting in pixels to PS and then filling and area.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 11:30:07 am »

I found that unless it is a solid like a sky the content aware fill just makes for more work as you end up most the same problems with content aware period. Duplication and strange patterns. Etc.

The boundary warp works very well for me but I am only shooting landscapes where I guess the warp is not as noticeable. Never had problems with the horizon line however as some have mentioned.

The warp in LR also is much better than doing it manually in CC after a pan as CC IMO will lose too much detail and LR does not.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up