Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads up: CaptureOne 8 no lonnger compatible with Windows 10  (Read 5283 times)

deiruch

Heads up: CaptureOne 8 no lonnger compatible with Windows 10
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »

Capture One 8 no longer works after installing the latest Windows update released today (the "anniversary update"). It crashes when trying to start it.

Now, Phase One support claims that this update (which was released hours ago) is not yet publicly available, and says that it's beta software (?). Which is just not true.

They refuse to provide support and say that I must upgrade to Capture One 9. But the system requirements state that C1 8 should work on Windows 10. What the heck?!?

Here is the support thread in the P1 forum: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22184

TL;DR - Heads up: If you're still using C1 8, as soon as Windows installs the next update, you're screwed.

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:08:24 pm by deiruch »

deiruch

Re: Heads up: CaptureOne 8 not compatible with latest Windows 10 update
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »

Now Phase One support claim that C1 8 is no longer supported on Windows 10. Even though it says so in their Knowledge Base and release notes...

scyth

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:52:11 am »

Now Phase One support claim that C1 8 is no longer supported on Windows 10. Even though it says so in their Knowledge Base and release notes...

in a scenario when M$ decides to make certain big changes in OS w/o changing a major version number it is logical to assume that some application might be compatible till v10.x, but not for v10.x+1, etc ... is it P1's fault that M$ does not make it easy/possible for you to stay @ the OS version where the code works ? take your beef to M$

deiruch

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:55 pm »

in a scenario when M$ decides to make certain big changes in OS w/o changing a major version number it is logical to assume that some application might be compatible till v10.x, but not for v10.x+1, etc ... is it P1's fault that M$ does not make it easy/possible for you to stay @ the OS version where the code works ? take your beef to M$

Well, first of all, by writing "M$" instead of "MS" you make yourself look like a 12 year old (to me). But that's your choice.

Second: I debugged the problem and posted my analysis in the PhaseOne forum. The issue at hand is that P1 incorrectly tried to access an internal, undocumented data structure - which was removed in the latest .NET release. One cannot seriously expect Microsoft to keep internal, undocumented data structures the same over releases - because it would halt all development. Developers must only ever use documented APIs.

Now wonder C1 broke with the latest update. This is definitely a PhaseOne problem, not a Microsoft problem.

Mike Dale

Re: Heads up: CaptureOne 8 no lonnger compatible with Windows 10
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:02:50 pm »

Instead of trying to make out of date software work with and up to date operating system would it not be better to upgrade to the latest version of Capture One?

scyth

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:00 pm »

Well, first of all

cr$p skipped

One cannot seriously expect Microsoft to keep internal, undocumented data structures the same over releases

just like nobody can expect P1 to keep maintaining v8 (with or w/o documented API, etc) for as long as M$ fancy keeping v10 and continue with dot-releases only... in any case P1's fault is that they shall use a different wording and instead of blanket v10 for Windows use something else given the currrent trend @ M$ w/ version numbers and constant update

Developers must only ever use documented APIs.

in an ideal world, but see the next reply

Now wonder C1 broke with the latest update. This is definitely a PhaseOne problem, not a Microsoft problem.

using an undocumented feature is not a bug - but a decision made under certain circumstances, just like raw converters are using undocumented details from raw files :-) and as you hopefully understand there is no promise that any next camera's firmware upgrade is going to keep things the same... you don't like such decisions - write your own converters or use open source ones where you can examine the code and not use if you disagree

scyth

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:46:53 pm »

Instead of trying to make out of date software work with and up to date operating system would it not be better to upgrade to the latest version of Capture One?

I don't think he shall continue to use C1 at all given the poor state of coding culture in P1  ;D or given the fact that C1 is not yet 100.000% DNG compatible and still uses some undocumented structures in most of the raw formats

Mike Dale

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 10:13:26 pm »

I don't think he shall continue to use C1 at all given the poor state of coding culture in P1  ;D or given the fact that C1 is not yet 100.000% DNG compatible and still uses some undocumented structures in most of the raw formats

I think you're right. I hear Aperture's quite good as he seems to like out of date software. 😜

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57:09 am »

Being a bit hard on the OP IMO.

Vr 9 still can't process more than 3 files on any windows machine I own without throwing up the "error when processing a file".  Phase One used to bring out solid code, with few bugs, but that seems not to be the case.  Vr 8 for months had the issue where on minimizing to the task bar, then later bring C1 to the forefront again, C1 froze.  This issue was fixed later on in a later version of C18, but it took several months. 

Issue of 'error processing a file" has been taken forward multiple times to P1 and the only answer so far is totally disable open CL, which is not a great answer. 

Vr 8 never has had this problem and there are times when I need to run a large batch job, I will drop back to Vr 8, (as it's not that old, just one release back) and it has most of the features that Vr 9 has that I need. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

deiruch

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:25:53 am »

Personally I'd feel cheated if I bought C1 8.x only 9 months ago - and now I'm being asked for another $100, just to make it work with Windows 10. They themselves still claim that it works with Windows 10 - but it doesn't. My intent of posting here was to warn people.

I don't think that's fair or even good business practice.

IanSeward

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 12:16:35 pm »

'A beta version of Capture One 8.4.5 can now be requested by contacting Phase One support.
Final version of 8.4.5 which includes support for Windows 10 Anniversary edition.'

Ian

deiruch

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:08:25 pm »

Yep, they now provide a Windows 10-compatible version! You can request it by opening a support case. It works perfectly fine. Good move!

Cheers,
Happy Simon

deiruch

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 05:22:28 am »

FYI: The Win10 compatible version is now available for everyone from the download archive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up