Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Super-Zoom Lens Questions  (Read 1232 times)

Colorado David

Nikon Super-Zoom Lens Questions
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:08:05 am »

Who uses the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens? Does anyone use one on a D810? How does it perform? When was it first released and is it due for an upgrade?

I have the old 24-120 lens and haven't used it for a long time.  I used it yesterday because it is such a convenient focal length range.  On the D810 it has some problems.  (I know it had problems before the D810.) So, I've been thinking I should upgrade to the new 24-120 which got me to thinking if there was a suitable lens with greater range. I have all the fast zooms, but was wanting to cover this zoom range for rugged hiking conditions. Thank you.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Nikon Super-Zoom Lens Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:00:05 am »

I have both and shoot a pair of D800 bodies. I use the 24-120 f/4. I had the older 24-120 and on film or a low MP camera, it was a good workhorse and useful range. The 28-300 as an all-in-one is also a useable lens that a friend uses with success on his D800. For me, it was a good range, but not quite long enough and a little too big for me to hand-old on the long end, thus needing a tripod. It's also a bit too slow on the long range for most hand-holding anyway.

As the MP count increased above 6mp, the 2nd generation 24-120 just didn't hold up. So I went to the 24-70 2.8. Big and heavy and a little short for my style of shooting. When I went to the D800, I tried the 24-120 and it was a good fit for me. it is still my go-to lens and favorite workhorse.

If I go out with one lens, this is the lens followed by my 17-35 if I'm working close to pack a second body. This pair covers 95% of my needs. There's a little distortion with the 24-120 and it's easily cleaned-up in ACR.

What I'd do is rent the pair and give them a try for a weekend and see which of the two fits your style and your needs.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Colorado David

Re: Nikon Super-Zoom Lens Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:10:20 pm »

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up