Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Parallax Points AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII  (Read 7731 times)

dwswager

No Parallax Points AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII
« on: July 19, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »

I have never seen a posting of the No Parallax points for this lens so I figured I'd share this here.

I've owned this lens forever but never had occasion to use it for multi-shot images so I never actually tested it.  Then while in spain I went out to specifically shoot a multi-shot image and realized I needed more focal length and had left this at the apartment.  So now I have it measure.

Measured on a D810 FX body using magnified live view and dof preview at f/8.  There are 2 measurements.  The first is mounted on my RRS 192 PPP: MPR-192 & Mini-Clamps.  It is measured from the Center of the panning clamp to the center of the clamp mounted on the nodal slide.  Because the foot on the lens allows it to slide within the clamp, I purposely position the lens such that the back of the foot was flush with the back of the clamp.  Hence, I was able to measure the distance from the back of the foot to center position.  You will notice my measurements are for the most part an even multiple of 5.  I checked moving it further and found no difference in the subjective interpretation.

dwswager

Re: No Parallax Points AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:26:41 pm »

I have never seen a posting of the No Parallax points for this lens so I figured I'd share this here.

Of course, just after I posted this, I found a DPReview forum thread where someone posted pictures of the lens position (without actual numbers).  Hence, I can confirm my measurements coincide with these other reported results without being able to actually compare the numbers.

Phil Burns

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:43:50 pm »

HI, I am performing the same testing with the same lens on my Nikon D850; would you please describe your test setup?  For example, what was the distance to the closest target and the distant?
thanks

danielc

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:10:47 am »

HI, I am performing the same testing with the same lens on my Nikon D850; would you please describe your test setup?  For example, what was the distance to the closest target and the distant?
thanks

I just did this with my tamron 70-200/2.8 and it doesn't have to be exact there are some vids on YouTube with how to do it. I used a long cardboard box and stuck 2 pens into it vertically and sat it on a bench. Levelled my lens with them and then you can setup the no parralax points.

I've had no problem stitching any of my images created using these measurements.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:33:18 pm »

thanks

Find two verticals or set something up.  You want something that you can focus on as the focusing will change the test somewhat.  But set up the camera so the verticals are lined up in the middle of the viewfinder...that is one behind the other.  I find it useful to have the back one taller than the front one so you can see it when lined up.  When you rotate the camera around the axis pivot on panning clamp or panning base such that the vertical are at the edges of the frame, their relative positions should not change.  If they do, begin to move the camera back or forward and keep testing until you find the spot at which they no longer move and stay lined up.  Record this for each focal length and keep handy for this lens.  All camera brands should have a standard mount to film plane distance so measurement should be good for any body of the same brand.

Phil Burns

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:34:06 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up