Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30D - lense recommendations  (Read 2759 times)

guy1

30D - lense recommendations
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:03:44 pm »

I am going to make the plunge from my canon elan 2 film camera to the 30d.  I shoot just about everything...but mainly people and kids in posed portraits and candids - indoors and outdoors.  I like to blur the background for portraits to make the subject "pop".    I am a recreational photographer who appreciates quality and is willing to learn to make this equipment work to its potential.  

I plan on keeping a few lenses from the elan:
1.  canon 28-105 3.5-4.5
2.  canon 50  1.8

I have been told my Tamron 28-200 ld 3.8-5.6 will not be a good lense for the 30d.  I believe they said the quality does not match up.  

considering the 1.6x factor, I am going to be short on the wide angle end and I am considering the  canon 16-35 2.8L that will cover the low end with flexibility.  A big splurge would be the canon 70-200 2.8L IS, but I am not sure if I will need it if the 28-105 works out (considering the 1.6x factor).  Also, maybe I should give the Tamron a try first before I discontinue it....but never really cared for the lense...it always was faily dark in the viewfinder.

I do not think I want to get into the canon s lense series since I do not want to be stuck with those lenses should the camera market go the full frame.  However, this camera should last me many, many years since it is only a hobby and I don't plan to upgrade unless there is a major benefit in future technology.

Please give me some recommendations.  I appreciate the help.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:25:21 am »

I plan on keeping a few lenses from the elan:
1.  canon 28-105 3.5-4.5
2.  canon 50  1.8

Yes, I think the 50mm is the first thing that comes to mind when you talk about your application.

considering the 1.6x factor, I am going to be short on the wide angle end and I am considering the  canon 16-35 2.8L that will cover the low end with flexibility.
Also, maybe I should give the Tamron a try first before I discontinue it....but never really cared for the lense...it always was faily dark in the viewfinder.
I do not think I want to get into the canon s lense series since I do not want to be stuck with those lenses should the camera market go the full frame.

I would suggest the 17-40 f/4, but since you want bright viewfinder, this would not meet that requirement. OTOH, the 17-40 is comparable for a grand less $. Dim viewfinder is strictly related to max aperture, so a Tamron, per se, is not dim, the aperture makes it dim.  BTW, you will find the viewfinder dimmer on any 1.6 crop DSLR - nature of the the beast.

However, this camera should last me many, many years since it is only a hobby and I don't plan to upgrade unless there is a major benefit in future technology.

I lost count of how many time I made that statement!      
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:32:53 am »

If you don't plan on upgrading the camera then EF-S lenses really shouldn't be an issue.   And even if you do BJL would be happy to tell you why crop cameras are here to stay.  The 17-55 f2.8 IS would seem like an ideal lens for your application.  The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 would also be a good choice.

But if you're just doing portraits just go with some fast primes.

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:21:19 pm »

I agree, the EF-s 17-55 2.8 USM is pretty much the cat's meow: sharp, bright and handshake resistant. Of course it costs $1200, so that may take the wind out of your sails on that one. If it was $600 I'd buy one today for my 20D!

The EF 17-40 4L USM is great choice at half the price but, at F4, is none too bright. It makes a great "normal" zoom for a 30D but will block the popup at the wide end.
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 11:21:52 am »

I agree, the EF-s 17-55 2.8 USM is pretty much the cat's meow: sharp, bright and handshake resistant.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
but it's not compatible with the 5D, one camera I hope to upgrade to from my 350D one day in the future.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:22:14 am by Gregory »
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up