Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's the Japanese colaborator that makes X1D lenses?  (Read 5867 times)

Theodoros

Who's the Japanese colaborator that makes X1D lenses?
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:51:59 am »

My suggestion would be that it is Nikon using Hoya glass...

I base this to the fact that X1D shares Nikon interface for the camera's speedlights (which is a strong hint that Hasselblad engineers where working with Nikon ones as to adapt the function on the camera) and also that Nikon is among the few (other than Fuji) out of the Japanese major makers that has past experience in making lenses for larger than 35mm formats...

I also find it difficult for another maker than Nikon in Japan as to provide the "phenomenal image quality" that X1D lenses are claimed to have....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:07:51 pm by Theodoros »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Darn, I figured it was Samyang!!

Sorry couldn't resist, but I would tend to agree, if it's not Fuji (which I still wonder about even after everything that has been stated), then Nikon sure would a good one to consider. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com

The lenses are made by Nittoh - this has been known from the day of the announcement.

Theodoros

Indeed they are! I was thinking on X1D's announcement by Mr.Oosting where he didn't reveal the name of the maker... It was later mentioned by various sites that presented the product... Sorry for not noticing before.

I was just checking on Nittoh's site... https://www.nittohkogaku.co.jp/en/ they seem to be a partner that anybody would wish for as to have...

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com

He actually did say it during the announcement but he kind of mumbled it and it almost seemed like it slipped out but he couldn't completely stop himself in time :)

Theodoros

He actually did say it during the announcement but he kind of mumbled it and it almost seemed like it slipped out but he couldn't completely stop himself in time :)

Some of the claims on Nittoh's site on the capabilities/quality they can provide is really impressive... I wonder if someone knows other lenses that have been designed by them... Surely they are plenty! They seem to be right at the top for ability to make high end lenses... second to none!  With 2100 employs and more than a century's experience, it's hard to believe that this is among their early collaborations for making high quality lenses... Surely there are more lenses made by them out there under other maker's name taking the credit... 

samoore

Re: Who's the Japanese colaborator that makes X1D lenses?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:15 pm »

A google search shows that they've made a bunch of photographic lenses in the mid century era for many Japanese brands including Mamiya.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Nittō_Kōgaku

siddhaarta

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »

It is known that Nittoh produced the iconic X-Pan lenses.

Considering that there are three factors which make a good lens: 1. design; 2. precision and quality of manufacturing and 3. glasses (Hoya/Schott, etc.) used, I would be more interested to know who are these guys in the Hasselblad HQ (according to Oosting) who designed these lenses with the impressive MTFs (ok, it is easier to design lenses with lower maximal aperture). 

There was a discussion in another thread whether this MTFs are only computed, but it was confirmed they are based on real lens measurements. I guess only real-life tests will reveal whether these first two lenses do have any Mojo.

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:25 pm »

A google search shows that they've made a bunch of photographic lenses in the mid century era for many Japanese brands including Mamiya.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Nittō_Kōgaku

It looks like at those days their relations where particularly strong with Nikon and Fuji... I wonder what their recent collaborations are... Sid says the made the X-Pan lenses, but still this is quite a long ago...

samoore

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 02:00:04 pm »

It looks like at those days their relations where particularly strong with Nikon and Fuji... I wonder what their recent collaborations are... Sid says the made the X-Pan lenses, but still this is quite a long ago...

I'm sure like many optical companies photographic lenses are an afterthought. Looks like they do a lot of scientific, and industrial work.

landscapephoto

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:44:02 pm »

I would be more interested to know who are these guys in the Hasselblad HQ (according to Oosting) who designed these lenses with the impressive MTFs.

Per Nordlund designed most if not all of the HC lenses. According to his linkedin profile, he is still working as an optical designer at Hasselblad.

NickT

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 05:43:54 pm »

Per Nordlund designed most if not all of the HC lenses. According to his linkedin profile, he is still working as an optical designer at Hasselblad.

Also the X1D lenses.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 12:00:08 pm »

Hi,

Not exactly. He has designed the 2X-extender, but he was involved in all designs. Hasselblad makes an initial design but Fuji refines them for production. The distribution of design efforts varies from lens to lens.

AFAIK, it is essentially what he said on some thread on some forum. Don't know which. Makes a lot of sense.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up