Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will a hardware-only calibrated monitor display the same on different computers?  (Read 1471 times)

AFairley

Let's say I calibrate a monitor using only the monitor hardware adjustments, i.e., the R, G, B gain and brightness controls, and the monitor is attached via HDMI to a computer that is using the default display device color profile of the OS.  If I then hook up that monitor to another PC, will the colors look the same?  If the two OSs are the same?  If one is a Mac and the other a PC?  Thanks.

scyth

Let's say I calibrate a monitor using only the monitor hardware adjustments, i.e., the R, G, B gain and brightness controls, and the monitor is attached via HDMI to a computer that is using the default display device color profile of the OS.  If I then hook up that monitor to another PC, will the colors look the same?  If the two OSs are the same?  If one is a Mac and the other a PC?  Thanks.

you can for example put a non 1:1 LUT into videoadapter (vcgt) and use it in a monitor profile on computer side ("default display device color profile" - who knows what is there by default ?), so the general answer is no... however if vcgt loaded in videodapater by whatever gamma loaders you have and monitor profile are not both not messing then shall be identical... hdmi can have 0-255 or 16-255 range, but this is setup on monitor side... my $0.02

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS

If I then hook up that monitor to another PC, will the colors look the same?  If the two OSs are the same?
Only if the other systems video driver does not alter the monitor controls,  and all the color management (including VideoLUT) is setup to pass pixel values through in exactly the same way, and all the applications interpret color values in exactly the same way.

So conceivable, but not guaranteed without careful configuration and checking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up