Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neighbors  (Read 1738 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Neighbors
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:27:42 pm »

Any Interest? C&C apprciated. Thanks t
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:19:28 pm by Todd Suttles »
One Day At A Time

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Neighbors
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:34:37 am »

Todd, I'm sure you had something in mind when you shot this scene. What was it? The picture doesn't tell me.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:15:21 am »

Todd, I'm sure you had something in mind when you shot this scene. What was it? The picture doesn't tell me.

Desolation?

RSL

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:20 am »

But it's not really desolation, Robert. It's a pretty common deep south scene. I can drive out from Leesburg and see the same thing again and again. I'd like to know what was in Todd's mind when he made this shot. I'm not knocking it. I just don't understand it.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:26:35 am »

Russ- what I saw and wanted to express was the tendency in the South to "abandon, but keep worthless things that once had value". After your question,  here again i think is my problem with context. The image itself doesn't really convey that does it? The truck has been abandoned, it isn't even parked on level ground. there isn't enough detail visible to see that the child's swing set hasn't been used in years. The worthless clutter waiting to be put into a "locked" storage isn't discernible. The unkempt weeds work. The clutter on the porch of the house work, but could be more emphasised. Also not in the image is the rest of the neighborhood; everything had been abandoned, all businesses closed.
I have other images from this shoot that convey the point better that this one. I will post one of those later today after I work on it some. Thank you for making me think more about it  :)
One Day At A Time

RSL

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:34:33 am »

Todd, this kind of abandonment isn't confined to the south. In the fifty years I lived in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area (less a couple years overseas) I traveled all over the southwest -- sometimes on photographic shooting trips. I could have photographed the kind of abandonment in this picture again and again. What I see here I can find all over the U.S. if I get into the right areas. It's a mindset. I've never figured out how to make that clear in a photograph, and I can see you haven't either. But maybe you can if you think about it.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:08:43 pm »

Russ- what I saw and wanted to express was the tendency in the South to "abandon, but keep worthless things that once had value". After your question,  here again i think is my problem with context. The image itself doesn't really convey that does it? The truck has been abandoned, it isn't even parked on level ground. there isn't enough detail visible to see that the child's swing set hasn't been used in years. The worthless clutter waiting to be put into a "locked" storage isn't discernible. The unkempt weeds work. The clutter on the porch of the house work, but could be more emphasised. Also not in the image is the rest of the neighborhood; everything had been abandoned, all businesses closed.
I have other images from this shoot that convey the point better that this one. I will post one of those later today after I work on it some. Thank you for making me think more about it  :)
One Day At A Time

RSL

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:14:02 pm »

One problem is that since photography takes fairly sophisticated gear we tend to get wrapped around the axle on technique and equipment. That's not the real problem. The real problem is WHAT to shoot and how to frame it to convey what made you want to shoot it. The rest of the stuff is trivial.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 03:31:31 pm »

One problem is that since photography takes fairly sophisticated gear we tend to get wrapped around the axle on technique and equipment. That's not the real problem. The real problem is WHAT to shoot and how to frame it to convey what made you want to shoot it. The rest of the stuff is trivial.

Amen, brother!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 03:36:20 pm »

... the tendency in the South to "abandon, but keep worthless things that once had value".

I doubt it is a "tendency." The choice of word make it sound like Southern folks are some kind of careless breed ("extremely careless"?). I'd rather call it "life."

...The truck has been abandoned, it isn't even parked on level ground. there isn't enough detail visible to see that the child's swing set hasn't been used in years. The worthless clutter waiting to be put into a "locked" storage isn't discernible. The unkempt weeds work. The clutter on the porch of the house work, but could be more emphasised. Also not in the image is the rest of the neighborhood; everything had been abandoned, all businesses closed...

Then frame it so that we see what you saw and feel what you felt. Come closer, come tighter, cluster it.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:30:12 pm »

Thanks Guys. t
One Day At A Time

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43:39 pm »

South: Spanish moss, water oaks, magnolia trees, palmettos, statues of Confederate soldiers, stars and bars, humidity, cotton fields, sugar cane fields, signage with colloquialisms, red clay soil, sweat, etc.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 03:12:56 am »

A lot of the members don't live in the USA, never mind the deep south, so they will possibly see a scene of desolation and poverty that members living in the USA don't see. There is a big audience on here.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 03:52:56 am »

I don't see the idea of abandonment, or rather retaining things that have outlasted their usefulness but for whatever reason you don't want to let go or accept that. I do this all the time. Was the time I had two gearboxes and three V8 engines for my Range Rover. Did I ever use any of them? Nope but they were cheap or free and 'might have been useful'. This in the UK mind you where space can be at a premium.

How could you show the way I thought about it in a photograph? I suspect by including me within the context. Probably capturing me looking a bit shifty about keeping all this junk, and if you could get my wife in on it then you'd have a study that would communicate :)

I wonder if that's a trend in your photographs? You're trying to communicate something about the Deep South without including a vital element - the people. Maybe you have set yourself an impossible task. I suspect for this shot to work you need to try and imply my mindset of 'it might be useful some day' - maybe you can find a scene where the truck has been partially stripped for parts? Or better still someone doing the stripping.

Just some thoughts.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »

I don't see the idea of abandonment, or rather retaining things that have outlasted their usefulness but for whatever reason you don't want to let go or accept that. I do this all the time. Was the time I had two gearboxes and three V8 engines for my Range Rover. Did I ever use any of them? Nope but they were cheap or free and 'might have been useful'. This in the UK mind you where space can be at a premium.

How could you show the way I thought about it in a photograph? I suspect by including me within the context. Probably capturing me looking a bit shifty about keeping all this junk, and if you could get my wife in on it then you'd have a study that would communicate :)

I wonder if that's a trend in your photographs? You're trying to communicate something about the Deep South without including a vital element - the people. Maybe you have set yourself an impossible task. I suspect for this shot to work you need to try and imply my mindset of 'it might be useful some day' - maybe you can find a scene where the truck has been partially stripped for parts? Or better still someone doing the stripping.

Just some thoughts.
Helpful, Thank you
One Day At A Time

RSL

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 03:19:36 pm »

Todd, that's an interesting post by Mike, and he's onto something. But the problem is I don't think you're going to be able to portray anything significant about the deep South with a single photograph. I used to travel through the South occasionally when I was a kid -- let's say, middle to late thirties -- and in those days there was a significant difference between the South and the North. The Farm Security Administration photographic project covered the difference. Even as late as the mid fifties there still was a marked difference. But the difference is gone now -- at least the difference you can sum up in a photograph. Nowadays I live in central Florida, and that's deep South. The only significant difference I can catch in a photograph is moss hanging from the trees.

But I've been talking about photographs. Underneath what's visible there's still a pretty important difference, but I think you'd have to do a photographic essay, probably with associated text, even to touch on the difference.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »

I'm surprised to hear you say that Russ. I thought (as a Brit) that there were many differences between the deep South and the urban areas in the North for example. Forgive me if my geography is shaky but I thought that some of the communities around New Orleans for example could still be very, I'm not sure how to put this, insular, introspective and reflective of the terrain of the area which although not distant in miles from New Orleans is very isolated. I get some of these ideas from novels set in that area.

It's interesting for an outsider to see what Todd is trying to do but he is perhaps too close, too intimate with his subject, wanting to avoid the moss to investigate the subtler traits of his Deep South. Maybe one has to come to his collection of shots with more knowledge than I have of the subject, so perhaps he has to lead me by the hand a bit more so I begin to see what he can see and become educated. Or alternatively he could be trying the impossible :) At least he's trying though. Kudos.

Drifting somewhat off topic I watched a film Beasts of the Southern Wildt. I was shocked by the depiction of the poverty and the way of life that mainly white community followed. I, like much of the world, forget that you do have abject poverty in the US like most places - it just seems more surprising in what we see as a hugely wealthy nation.

Forgive a late night rambling post :)

Mike

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 07:54:36 pm »

Todd, that's an interesting post by Mike, and he's onto something. But the problem is I don't think you're going to be able to portray anything significant about the deep South with a single photograph. I used to travel through the South occasionally when I was a kid -- let's say, middle to late thirties -- and in those days there was a significant difference between the South and the North. The Farm Security Administration photographic project covered the difference. Even as late as the mid fifties there still was a marked difference. But the difference is gone now -- at least the difference you can sum up in a photograph. Nowadays I live in central Florida, and that's deep South. The only significant difference I can catch in a photograph is moss hanging from the trees.

But I've been talking about photographs. Underneath what's visible there's still a pretty important difference, but I think you'd have to do a photographic essay, probably with associated text, even to touch on the difference.
Thank you Russ. I do have two projects that I have been shooting for over 3 years now: a specific event and a deteriorating house. Neither of those stories can be told with a single photograph, or even twenty. At some point I am thinking I will have enough to work with. The event is completely about the people who attend as spectators and participants (a small rural dirt track auto race) and the house is about what people have been doing to it over time. Thank you again, todd.
One Day At A Time

david loble

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »

Todd,

Cover the shed at left with your hand and see if the resulting image comes closer to your goal.

David

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:09 pm »

I feel compelled to comment: I think you're getting lots of great advice, Todd. Mike, Russ and Slobodan said some things that are very important, not to minimize the other comments because I think they are useful too. As I read, I thought back to some of my earlier experiences; I reacted to a subject, I was emotionally bonded to it. But it was a subjective experience, known and understood only by me; and so I have been learning to "back out of it" and try to think about what it is that draws me to the subject. Then as Slobodan said, get close to it, immerse yourself in it, find that perspective or even that part of the subject that embodies what you are trying to say. A friend and mentor once told me, "Look in the viewfinder, not through it." This to avoid seeing ONLY the subject we are focused upon so that we can deal with composition, background distractions, etc. That's a struggle because we are often drawn to a subject that elicits something inside us, or as Vincent Versace has said, "The photograph calls to you." But how do we "disconnect" to capture only that which calls to us? For some, like Versace perhaps, this happens automatically or intuitively; the rest of us are striving to get there. Simplification. My point of view. I think BrandtB may have said here on this forum (to paraphrase and distort ;) ), "It's a left/right brain thing." Anyway, I believe the most important aspect is to keep trying to find those images that communicate what it is you want to say. And keep asking the questions you are.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:53:44 am by David Eckels »
Pages: [1]   Go Up