Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4800 Successor?  (Read 5436 times)

jconly

4800 Successor?
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:55:14 pm »

I realize this is one of those questions that nobody likes to answer, but....

Is there a successor to the 4800 coming any time soon?  It seems that the 4000 was replaced within a years time, and since I am now about to purchase a 4800, I would hate to make a purchase and see a new model by the end of this summer.

I am not familiar with Epson's release cycle.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

David White

• http://
4800 Successor?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:28:39 am »

I realize this is one of those questions that nobody likes to answer, but....

Is there a successor to the 4800 coming any time soon?  It seems that the 4000 was replaced within a years time, and since I am now about to purchase a 4800, I would hate to make a purchase and see a new model by the end of this summer.

I am not familiar with Epson's release cycle.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes there is.  It is called the Canon IPF5000.  
David White

michael

4800 Successor?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:11:01 am »

David,

You may not be far wrong. The iPF5000 does indeed address may of the shortcomings of the 4800.

I'm stll in early days with my review, but there's a whole lot to like about the 5000, and in a recent discussion with an Epson executive I was given the distinct impression that there is likely nothing coming from that company in the near future to replace the current K3 lineup.

Michael

David White

• http://
4800 Successor?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:10:04 pm »

Michael,

My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  Because of the ink swap costs the 4800 was never an option for me.  It's good to hear about your favorable initial impressions.  Mine's on order and will hopefully show up later next week.
David White

jconly

4800 Successor?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:19:17 pm »

Interesting.

Well it is nice to know that Epson should be lasting me for quite some time.

I am curious as to this Canon printer.  Is there any worthwhile reviews available?  

From what I have learned, Epson has been the industry leader, so at this point I feel like I should be sticking with them.

As far as ink cartridge swap is concerned...
How well does ImagePrint's Phatte Black option work?  
I mainly print on a lustre (E) surface, but am I am also just beginning to explore various paper types.
Mainly, right now, Phatte Black would be used for proofing purposes on cheap matte paper, with final prints on lustre.

jwpeterson

• http://www.pbase.com/jwpeterson
4800 Successor?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 09:57:42 pm »

The epson K3 printer and ink series seems to have 2 shortcomings, the biggest of which is having to change black inks when we change paper. The second of which, some feel is slightly constrained rendition of "true blue" skies.
In my case, I dealt with the first issue by keeping my 4000 and adding a 2400 with the photoblack ink, in order to get the exellent black / gray tones that K3 can render on good glossy / semiglossy / luster / satin finishes.
I expect that my 4000 will keep on chugging up through epson's new system debut, which I'm guesssing is next year preceeded by several "leaks" of eminent product announcements in order to try to keep folks from bolting to canon
I'm, curious how canon inks will hold up when tested by Wilhelm, and I'm also curious how tough the printer itself will turn out to be in real world experience. It is, I must admit, nice to hear that it has user replacable print heads. I agree that detailed reviews are needed before making any decisions.
I'm guessing that the next epson will offer 4 K inks, ie adding a new "really really black" cartridge and perhaps the additive primaries RGB. I'll just point out, that the current epson has perhaps a tiny advantage ober the canon, having a smaller droplet size, and slightly greater printer resolution.
just my 2 cents..

Joe Crawford

4800 Successor?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 06:15:11 pm »

Oops... Looks like the replacement for the 4800 ain't fer off....  InkJetArt.com just posted a $300 rebate for the 4800.  Usually, when they do this the factory is trying to sell off the current stock before the new product is announced.  Three months? Six months? Does anyone know if there is an industry show scheduled in near future?  That's probably when they will anounce.

If they announce, I do hope they go with the the ink set in the R800/R1800 and not just fix the "black-swap" problem.  It would be nice if they supported multiple ink sets (i.e., your choice), but I personally only care about the R800/R1800 set.  My primary artist is heavy into bright colors (very bright reds, blues, etc.) and the R800/R1800 are the only ones I have found so far that cover her.

Joe

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
4800 Successor?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 06:58:08 pm »

Well, if you consider that the 4000 and 4800 are essentially the same printer with a different inkset (and perhaps slightly modified head), then the beast is about 2 years old. It wouldn't be very surprising if Epson had been working for some time on a replacement addressing the limitations of the current model.

I would personnally be surprised if a new inkset were also introduced when it is released, but this is pure guess work.

Regards,
Bernard

jconly

4800 Successor?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:47 pm »

Well, replacement or not....
I went ahead last week and placed my order.  The 4800 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  
I figured no matter what its successor has to offer, the 48 should still last me for a solid 3 years.  And, replacement aside, I need the ability to print now...so I decided to purchase now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up