Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Borderless Printing on the Canon Pro Graf 1000  (Read 8881 times)

yeoweehan@gmail.com

• Tripeaksimagery
Borderless Printing on the Canon Pro Graf 1000
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:37:11 am »

Hi all,

My first post here and I will like to thank everyone for having shared their knowledge unselfishly on the forums. Im sure many quiet ones have benefited alot from the spreads of info.

I have recently purchased a Canon ProGraf 1000 and I have huge problems printing borderless on custom paper sizes (12 x 18 inches and 8 x 12 inches).

I have used LR CC and Print Studio Pro, set everything to without margins and "cancel margin regulation". I am printing on Red River Arctic Polar Satin and have set the paper type to Matte (which has yielded really nice prints so far). Alas, whatever I see on screen in LR or PSP (an image file with no margins of any sort), the printer churns out prints that has narrow borders. I have restarted the Mac a few times to no avail.

Will appreciate if anyone has any suggestions here.

Thank you very much once again and a great weekend to everyone here!

Cheers

Han

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Borderless Printing on the Canon Pro Graf 1000
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:49:35 am »

Refer to pages 312, 313 in the Manual: Borderless extension position in Page Processing? Selected paper size that has "borderless" in brackets beside the size? The printer does not support borderless printing for some papers and paper sizes. Check whether your media is compliant.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stockjock

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:07:49 am »

Hi all,

My first post here and I will like to thank everyone for having shared their knowledge unselfishly on the forums. Im sure many quiet ones have benefited alot from the spreads of info.

I have recently purchased a Canon ProGraf 1000 and I have huge problems printing borderless on custom paper sizes (12 x 18 inches and 8 x 12 inches).

I have used LR CC and Print Studio Pro, set everything to without margins and "cancel margin regulation". I am printing on Red River Arctic Polar Satin and have set the paper type to Matte (which has yielded really nice prints so far). Alas, whatever I see on screen in LR or PSP (an image file with no margins of any sort), the printer churns out prints that has narrow borders. I have restarted the Mac a few times to no avail.

Cheers

Han

I have a Canon iPF8400 so this may not be directly applicable but it is worth a shot.  You may need to define a named custom paper size.  From Lightroom Print Module click on the Page Setup button in the lower left corner.  Then click Properties and then choose the Page Setup tab and then click on size options.  Give your custom paper size a name and define it's properties including borderless.  Save it.  Then you have to exit fully out of the printer driver software and start the process again but this time select your custom paper size as the paper size.  This works on the iPF8400 and I assume it  will work in a similar fashion with the Prograf 1000.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:36:38 am »

This is a very interesting idea, because there is no mention of its possibility in the Pro-1000 manual and I no longer have the printer here to test it. If the OP finds it works on the Pro-1000 please let us know.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:21:01 pm »

Hi all,

Cheers

Han

Han, I'm perplexed by your custom RR Acrtic Polar Satin media size, as RR lists no 12x18" or 8x12" sizes - instead, 13x19 and 9x13". Are you trimming these sizes down to your stated sizes, then trying to print borderless rather than simply printing on the stock 1" larger  papers with 1/2" borders around and trimming to your intended size?

Pete

yeoweehan@gmail.com

• Tripeaksimagery
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »

Thank you very much Mark and Stockjock for the info. I will look into them asap and see whether borderless prints are finally coming out.

Pete: Those were custom cut to size as my clients want specific sizes and given the volume that is going around, it just did not make sense to be trimming off borders for every print. :)

P.S: Din know my username was my email...that's awful and have been trying to change it to no avail. Seeking help from the LL forum support now.

Cheers

Han

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 03:38:19 am »

Borderless printing only works with standard sheet sizes
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

yeoweehan@gmail.com

• Tripeaksimagery
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:54:31 pm »

Thanks alot Czornyj,

I have tried the methods suggested by the gurus and the printer just overrides it all and borders are still there!

I will like to ask if a RIP will overcome that limitation?

Cheers

Han

sjphotos

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:04:09 pm »

FWIW, I have no problem printing without borders on my Pro-1000 printing through LR.

yeoweehan@gmail.com

• Tripeaksimagery
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 11:13:33 pm »

Hi sjphotos,

What sizes are you printing at? Im doing custom sizes so that could be the issue.

Cheers

Han

yeoweehan@gmail.com

• Tripeaksimagery
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 03:28:46 am »

Hi all,

I have contacted the kind folks at Red River Paper and Drew Hendrix has kindly advised the following and it works a charm for borderless printing with custom sizes on the Pro 1000. Note that I was using RRP's Arctic Polar Satin.

By Drew Hendrix and shared with his permission:

The PRO-1000 allows for borderless 10x12 and 13x19. We'll use those sizes for this hack.

Step 1

Go to your printer's control panel:

Go to Various Settings > Device Settings > Paper Related Settings > Det. Paper Setting Mismatch
Disable that function by choosing "No".

You will be back at the Paper Related Settings submenu. Choose "Advanced Paper Settings"

From that menu, choose the media type you pick in the printer driver when printing with the 8x12 and 12x18 paper. For this tutorial I'll choose Pro Luster.

In the menu for Pro Luster, scroll down and select "Detect paper width". Turn that function OFF.

What that is done go back to the home menu.

STEP 2

On your computer go to System Preferences > Printers and Scanners > Canon PRO-1000 > Options and Supplies > Utility Tab

Open the Printer Utility

In the Custom Settings Tab check both boxes, "Don't detect mismatch..." and "Disable paper width detection..."

Click Apply

STEP 3

For an 8 x 12 image file:

Make a blank 10x12 file, same resolution, in Photoshop.

Drag your 8x12 onto the 10x12 and center it so that there are two white stripes on either side of your image.

STEP 4

Begin the print process. Click on Print Settings. Choose the 10x12 (borderless) option in the Paper Size drop down menu.

Choose your media type, print quality, etc. The media type MUST MATCH the setting you edited on the printer's control panel for this to work.

Click SAVE to go back to Photoshop's print dialog.

There will be white space on two sides, borderless on the other two sizes.

PROVIDED you set up everything as above, the printer will accept the paper, fed through the auto-loader, and give you a borderless 8x12.

The same setup should apply to 12x18 using the 13x19. The Photoshop file will have the image against the top so with a 13x19 file, you will have white space on the bottom and a little space on the sides as well.

The only catch is the trailing edge. The printer may not print all the way to the trailing edge. If not trimming the white edge will be your quickest solution.

So that's it for printing at least with 8 x 12 and 12 x 18 custom paper sizes on the Pro 1000. There is as Drew has mentioned on the last line, a little trailing edge and its about 1-2mm and easily trimmed off.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to go this route.

Cheers

Han

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 08:34:49 am »

This is all very ingenious and a good thing there are folks who devote the time and thinking to these workarounds - kudos to them.

More fundamentally though, on reading this, I ask myself why making a borderless print should need to be so tedious? What makes it so difficult to design a printer driver and firmware algorithm that allows borderless printing as an easily accessible option? It would be great to hear the answers from the relevant engineers.

tonyrom

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:04 am »

This is all very ingenious and a good thing there are folks who devote the time and thinking to these workarounds - kudos to them.

More fundamentally though, on reading this, I ask myself why making a borderless print should need to be so tedious? What makes it so difficult to design a printer driver and firmware algorithm that allows borderless printing as an easily accessible option? It would be great to hear the answers from the relevant engineers.

For those who may not know, on Epson and not sure about Canon,  borderess printing is limited as well to certain sizes but there is a physical reason as to why.  On the platen, there are ink pads located only at certain positions to catch any over spray of ink that feed into excess ink bin.

-tony

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »

For those who may not know, on Epson and not sure about Canon,  borderess printing is limited as well to certain sizes but there is a physical reason as to why.  On the platen, there are ink pads located only at certain positions to catch any over spray of ink that feed into excess ink bin.

-tony

Yes I'm well aware of that; but these are design decisions which could be made in different ways depending on what features the manufacturers want to enable - and I would like to believe that the software route to actually implementing it could be simplified with more attention to usability in software design.

yeoweehan@gmail.com

• Tripeaksimagery
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:05 am »

I agree with you Mark. Humans has solved tougher problems than that and nothing that a little more thought into hardware and software design can't settle.

Cheers

Han
Pages: [1]   Go Up