Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus and high temps  (Read 6397 times)

ericevans

Leaf Aptus and high temps
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:20:26 pm »

Someone here had been wondering about how the Aptus handles high temps . I have been shooting for the last few days at a construction site where the temp was 112 on one of the days . I have burned through two batteries a day for about 7 hours of shooting . I shot at iso 100 and 200 and the camera handled it fine . The back was hot enough that I did not want to touch it for more than a few seconds . There was no noticeable increase in noise at all . I think the Aptus passes the heat test . I don't run it that hard every day at those temps but it is nice top know it doesn't overheat in 110 + degree temps .

SeanBK

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:08:52 am »

Thanks Eric, That IS nice to know how Aptus behaves in high temp. Did your construction site had a high humidity as well or just dry high heat?

ericevans

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:56:51 pm »

It is still a dry heat here but the humidity is just around the corner . I have another 25 swimming pools to shoot so I'm sure the camera will see some serious humidity soon .

narikin

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:39:11 am »

I was on location in AZ and NV for two weeks, with 110 degrees plus heat in the desert most of the days with my P45.

the back got hot, much like yours so I wouldnt want to touch it for long, especially being in direct sunlight, but I can see no issues with the files from there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:40:00 am by narikin »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:46:48 am »

For those having to deal often with such extreme condition in the sun, wouldn't painting the back in white be a good way to reduce the temperature a few degrees?

Based on former experiences with fuel tanks, I'd say between 5 and 10 degrees potentially.

Regards,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:47:25 am by BernardLanguillier »

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 03:55:06 am »

For those having to deal often with such extreme condition in the sun, wouldn't painting the back in white be a good way to reduce the temperature a few degrees?

Based on former experiences with fuel tanks, I'd say between 5 and 10 degrees potentially.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What about a silver foil jacket?
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 06:15:23 am »

Sure, OK as well.

Regards,
Bernard

Ed Jack

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 07:44:01 am »

Surely the abillity to radiate heat on a day to day basis (i.e. black) is better than having a full-time reflecive surface for thoose odd ocasions when you are in extreme climates ? I suppose a reflective foil jacket can be rigged ?

Ed

Sure, OK as well.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 02:05:09 pm »

What about a watercooling jacket with circulation pump and radiator? Sort of like those WWI Browning heavy machine guns?  

Seriously, I had the same thought when shooting with my antediluvian Kodak ProBack on a hot day. Kept getting "the camera is too hot" warnings. Wondered about the aluminum foil reflector myself.

I read somewhere that people have wrapped their digibacks in moist wraps like those neck-coolers golfers use--evaporative cooling. Sounds unwise to marry water with a digital back.
michael sebast

pixjohn

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 08:34:42 pm »

This is a good topic as I just got home from shooting in 100 degree weather today. I was shooting with a leaf Aptus 22 digital back. The first 1/3 of the day I had the camera and myself flagged from the sun. When the winds picked up, I was in the sun for a few hours shooting. The digital back did not seem to have any problems. In between shots I wrapped the camera in a white panel to protect it from the sun. I like the idea making a custom fit silver reflector wrap for the camera and body.
Pages: [1]   Go Up