Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching from Capture One to Phocus for the X1D?  (Read 2636 times)

sanvandur

• http://www.santiagovanegas.com
Switching from Capture One to Phocus for the X1D?
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:29:43 am »

If the Hasselblad X1D is as good as the specs indicate, it will be as close to ideal for my work. Lightweight, small, medium format, leaf shutter, weather sealed, etc. I love my Phase One DF/P30+ kit, but it's bulky, heavy, not weather proofed. I've been a very satisfied Capture One user for many years. It's a huge part of my workflow. So much, that I hardly use Photoshop at all anymore. The X1D is VERY tempting, but from what I've seen of Hasselblad's Phocus, it is far behind Capture One. I'm sure the image quality is great, but it's the lack of features (compared to C1) concerns me. Does anyone have a similar hesitation? Is it worth losing Capture One for the X1D/Phocus? What's it like going from C1 to Phocus? Frustrating, satisfying?
I just wish Phase One would make an AF mirrorless camera. They might lose a lot of photographers in the next few months...

Santiago Vanegas photography at www.santiagovanegas.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Switching from Capture One to Phocus for the X1D?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 01:09:49 pm »

Seems like this exact post is in two different forums.  Here is my response in the other place that it's posted:

I have exactly the same hesitation/issue with the X1D.  Simply put, unless I can work the files in C1, it's going to be very difficult for me to get an X1D.  I have used Phocus and it's at best a very rudimentary converter in comparison.  I had asked about the possibility of converting the Hasselbald RAW files to DNG and then using Capture One in the thread about Hasselblad support in C1 here on Lula in the Capture One Forum but got told to go away in that thread by the original author of the thread...  So I never got an answer if any current Hasselblad users are doing that.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Switching from Capture One to Phocus for the X1D?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:25:44 pm »

Hi,
The answer is very simple. Two ways
1. You use Phocus and export a TIF. Then import the TIF into whatever editor you like.
2. You can also open the FFF directly in Photoshop. Then save a TIF if required.

You need Phocus to import as it converts the 3FR file to FFF file. If shooting tethered that conversion is not necessary, but you still need Phocus for capture.
Phocus is a raw processor and capture tool. It never pretends to be anything else. It is not an asset manager.

It also does important things to most people like lens correction, colour correction if using a ColorCheckR etc so do your raw file stuff there. Superb for critical colour work. Once you have the FFF file it can be read by every image editor (except Capture One if you regard it as an image editor).

I have used Phase One backs and Capture One also and you should have no concerns about stepping up to Hasselblad. The camera is far more important. You can still use Capture One as the Asset Manager.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up