Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: To post or not to post  (Read 11705 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: To post or not to post
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 07:45:01 pm »

+1

P.S. See, Bernard, there ARE instances where we agree 100%  :)

I have always thought there are many things we agree on. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 09:56:14 pm »

Click on Profile at the top of the page and you will find your Buddies/Ignore list

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 07:56:41 am »

+1
(or at least would like to learn about MF)

OK, probably a dumb question, but I've got to ask.
Does the "Ignore Feature" exist or is that a joke?

It exists and made the forum a lot more readable for me when used on Theo.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 09:08:30 am »

Happy to see the conversations becoming civilised again with fewer "my way is the only way and everybody else are indiots"...never used the ignore button and hoping not to look for it for a while although there are still a few troll-like posts coming up every now and again from folk who are eager to stirr the soup with pseudo-intelligent or pseudo-knowledgable dribble trying to poke holes in others opinions but also in vendors' business plans, products and market position, without ever backing things up with any real info or proof.

BR
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 10:30:35 am »

Thank you Rob for posting. As Bernard hinted, I still feel the benefits of diversity in background and opinions outweigh the negativity and attacks. I think the feeling that it has gotten worse over time may simply be hearing the same thing repetitively gets old, and 5-10 years ago we had not yet heard it that many times. We could all use an occasional dose of “Wag More, Bark Less.”

I will turn this on its ear and show something below I was going to post several years ago. Never did because it was meant to be funny and I was afraid many would not take it that way. But given the topic, here it goes. Again it is old, so some of those referred to below have gone on to better places, either literally or figuratively. I also made a few minor updates. I only hope you all interpret this as a celebration of that diversity:

My ode to a few of the many great contributors to this forum.

I’m going to steal a few pages from the great but controversial climber Warren Harding.  No, not the presidential “G” version of Warren Harding; this guy here, aka Batso.  In the end of his book “Downward Bound,” he had the audacity to rate people he loved, revered, despised, climbed and associated with.  His rating system was borrowed from Adams’ version of the Zone System, although as Galen Rowell used to point out, Warren erred by going from 1-10 instead of 0-10, and he certainly didn’t bother with roman numerals. In good tradition I will continue those mistakes here.  1 being a brilliant but dark, sinister person that few understand and most avoid at all cost.  10 being the revered folks who always do the right thing and everyone admires. 
  • BernardLanguillier – 8:  Great photographer, trekker, and insightful poster.  A potential 9 or 10, but there are just too many prayer flags and monasteries to the D3X/D800/D810 in his closet.  He also spends far too much time knitting.  That was knitting, right, or was it sewing?
  • Wayne Fox – 9:  Another great photographer. Wayne knows printing like no one else, and he has the best-looking avatar.  His posts are always helpful, and he does something many of us have trouble with:  In the midst of some off-in-the-weeds direction a thread goes, Wayne actually answers the OP’s question.   Hmmf - what fun is that?
  • Mark D Segal – 5:  Mark has been extremely helpful to me personally with all my dopey scanning questions.  He’s stuck there at a 5, perfect middle gray.  Could be higher but he’s an economist, and economists are, well, just so economic.
  • Schewe - 1:  Ah, Mr. Schewe; the epitome of a 1.  His wonderful contributions to the art and craft of photography make him at least as important to digital image processing as Harding was to climbing in the 60’s.  Combine this with his dark, who-cares-who-I-piss-off approach to life, and I can only conclude that Jeff and Warren Harding should have been brothers.  The only problem is Jeff enjoys a good bottle of wine, while Warren wanted nothing to do with the stuff unless it came in a one-gallon glass jug (boxed wine would work in a pinch).  Also, I have no idea what kind of shirts Warren liked, but it probably wasn’t Hawaiian.  I am worried, however.  Recently there seems to be a bit of civility in Jeff’s posts.  Or perhaps my sensitivity has been dulled…
  • Madmanchan – 10:  This guy is just plain perfect.  Way-smart, gives away important stuff and tips on his website, always has something very valuable and important to say, yet never gets riled when some dud is mindlessly bashing the ACR/LR processing engine.  Oh, and Eric takes really good pictures too.  He is the Royal Robbins of digital image processing here at Lula.
  • Michael – 9:  Michael is an obvious candidate for a 10, but his well-known and frequent association with the sinister Mr. Schewe holds him back like a 600mm f/4 on a day-hike.
  • Eric Myrvaagnes – 8:  I think Eric’s a great photographer.  But that name is a real marketing challenge.  How ‘bout changing it to Cougar? Or Cougar-Myrvaagnes?  Nevermind.
  • Bjanes – 6:  Wicked smart.  But anyone who is wicked smart simply must be wicked too, even if it never shows!  He is really a 10, but nobody else got a six, and sixes go with the word “wicked” quite well.
  • Theodoros – :  No score. Dark Energy does not fall within the zone system.
  • Wolfnowl – 10:  Gandolf, pure and simple.  If there is a debate about the identity of some obscure plant or animal, my wallet is in Wolfnowl’s corner.
  • Rob C – 4:  Rob might very well score higher with others on this forum, but half the time I can’t tell what the hell he is saying.  His wit and intellect brightens my day when I understand it, but most of the time he is in a far more enlightened space than me.  He also often hints at a dark, disturbed past, so I couldn’t give him anything higher than a 5.  Oh, and he’s using Windows Vista.  Jeeze…
  • BartvanderWolf – 6: See bjanes.
  • Erikkaffehr – 10:  Erik seems to know an awful lot about everything related to photography.  From physics to composition, his posts just make sense.  And, every post begins with a very diffusing, “Hi.”
  • Eronald - 2: A bit like Rob in that he is often in a more enlightened space than me. The 2 is because he fits the Batso esteem quite well: Enormous contribution but constantly poking the Angry Bear. I can’t help but think someone from Phase One ran over his puppy in the not-so-distant past. The only thing keeping him from a “1” is his humor.
  • Torger – 3:  Would have scored higher, but Torger uses a technical camera. In fact, Torger carries the tech camera torch for us all. He is the person in the commons preaching to everyone (yet no one in particular) that dark days are ahead for the equipment he loves (and I love).  When he isn’t wasting time posting he is wasting time producing valuable software, especially the Lumariver DOF App, which is the real unsung “Game Changer” in these parts. Ok I admit it. Probably too low of a score but I’m biased. Yeah, as if you didn’t already know that.
  • Panopeeper – 10:  We miss you.
If some are offended by all of this, then I blame it on reading too many Schewe posts.  There are of course many other great contributors:  Cheers to you all and thank you for your invaluable contributions to the Great Place.  Oh, and I sure hope Rob has by now upgraded from Vista.

Semper Farcisimus!

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 10:32:39 am »

Happy to see the conversations becoming civilised again with fewer "my way is the only way and everybody else are indiots"...never used the ignore button and hoping not to look for it for a while although there are still a few troll-like posts coming up every now and again from folk who are eager to stirr the soup with pseudo-intelligent or pseudo-knowledgable dribble trying to poke holes in others opinions but also in vendors' business plans, products and market position, without ever backing things up with any real info or proof.

BR
Yair

Neither have I, and probably won't. Why not? Because it's far easier to ignore their fresh posts instead, by not reading them, and yet almost impossible to achieve it in totality, in reality, because they sometimes annoy others enough to get themselves quoted, so you unavoidable get them a step removed. But the moment you see the name you know to stop wasting your time.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 10:54:19 am »

Nice listings, and obviously no offence taken.

But the computer tragedy lives on: Vista still hangs around on one computer, but it never handled a picture, because my PS6 wouldn't fit it. So PS6 lived on within the earlier XP machine kept just for Photoshop.

Then it got very tired and wanted to nap a lot more (did it snore!), so I bought a new, state-of-the-art Windows 8.1 which screwed me all over again, even refusing to accept the affections of my LaCie Blue Eye Pro calibration device that came bundled with the monitor. It also refused my Samsung cellphone, which was just as well, because I realised using that for pictures was a waste of time and opportunity. I rejected all the free marriage offers for W10, for who knows what it might have declared redundant? But I did make it to a later PS system.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »

Dave,

I love your list and I'm honored to have a spot on it.
As for marketing the name Myrvaagnes, I am forever grateful that my father never carried through on his one-time threat to anglicize the family name to
"QuagmireInletPromontory," which is a fairly literal translation of the three syllables.   :D

Cheers,
Cougar

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 06:00:58 pm »

Eric,
The dog came over to see what I was laughing about. Hey, at least I now know how many syllables there are. I always thought it was either just one or ten, one for each letter!

Dave

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 06:16:48 pm »

How can I argue with a ranking that puts Michael and Bernard on top and Schewe at the bottom? I feel so comfortable in mediocrity!  :P

Edmund

Thank you Rob for posting. As Bernard hinted, I still feel the benefits of diversity in background and opinions outweigh the negativity and attacks. I think the feeling that it has gotten worse over time may simply be hearing the same thing repetitively gets old, and 5-10 years ago we had not yet heard it that many times. We could all use an occasional dose of “Wag More, Bark Less.”

I will turn this on its ear and show something below I was going to post several years ago. Never did because it was meant to be funny and I was afraid many would not take it that way. But given the topic, here it goes. Again it is old, so some of those referred to below have gone on to better places, either literally or figuratively. I also made a few minor updates. I only hope you all interpret this as a celebration of that diversity:

My ode to a few of the many great contributors to this forum.

I’m going to steal a few pages from the great but controversial climber Warren Harding.  No, not the presidential “G” version of Warren Harding; this guy here, aka Batso.  In the end of his book “Downward Bound,” he had the audacity to rate people he loved, revered, despised, climbed and associated with.  His rating system was borrowed from Adams’ version of the Zone System, although as Galen Rowell used to point out, Warren erred by going from 1-10 instead of 0-10, and he certainly didn’t bother with roman numerals. In good tradition I will continue those mistakes here.  1 being a brilliant but dark, sinister person that few understand and most avoid at all cost.  10 being the revered folks who always do the right thing and everyone admires. 
  • BernardLanguillier – 8:  Great photographer, trekker, and insightful poster.  A potential 9 or 10, but there are just too many prayer flags and monasteries to the D3X/D800/D810 in his closet.  He also spends far too much time knitting.  That was knitting, right, or was it sewing?
  • Wayne Fox – 9:  Another great photographer. Wayne knows printing like no one else, and he has the best-looking avatar.  His posts are always helpful, and he does something many of us have trouble with:  In the midst of some off-in-the-weeds direction a thread goes, Wayne actually answers the OP’s question.   Hmmf - what fun is that?
  • Mark D Segal – 5:  Mark has been extremely helpful to me personally with all my dopey scanning questions.  He’s stuck there at a 5, perfect middle gray.  Could be higher but he’s an economist, and economists are, well, just so economic.
  • Schewe - 1:  Ah, Mr. Schewe; the epitome of a 1.  His wonderful contributions to the art and craft of photography make him at least as important to digital image processing as Harding was to climbing in the 60’s.  Combine this with his dark, who-cares-who-I-piss-off approach to life, and I can only conclude that Jeff and Warren Harding should have been brothers.  The only problem is Jeff enjoys a good bottle of wine, while Warren wanted nothing to do with the stuff unless it came in a one-gallon glass jug (boxed wine would work in a pinch).  Also, I have no idea what kind of shirts Warren liked, but it probably wasn’t Hawaiian.  I am worried, however.  Recently there seems to be a bit of civility in Jeff’s posts.  Or perhaps my sensitivity has been dulled…
  • Madmanchan – 10:  This guy is just plain perfect.  Way-smart, gives away important stuff and tips on his website, always has something very valuable and important to say, yet never gets riled when some dud is mindlessly bashing the ACR/LR processing engine.  Oh, and Eric takes really good pictures too.  He is the Royal Robbins of digital image processing here at Lula.
  • Michael – 9:  Michael is an obvious candidate for a 10, but his well-known and frequent association with the sinister Mr. Schewe holds him back like a 600mm f/4 on a day-hike.
  • Eric Myrvaagnes – 8:  I think Eric’s a great photographer.  But that name is a real marketing challenge.  How ‘bout changing it to Cougar? Or Cougar-Myrvaagnes?  Nevermind.
  • Bjanes – 6:  Wicked smart.  But anyone who is wicked smart simply must be wicked too, even if it never shows!  He is really a 10, but nobody else got a six, and sixes go with the word “wicked” quite well.
  • Theodoros – :  No score. Dark Energy does not fall within the zone system.
  • Wolfnowl – 10:  Gandolf, pure and simple.  If there is a debate about the identity of some obscure plant or animal, my wallet is in Wolfnowl’s corner.
  • Rob C – 4:  Rob might very well score higher with others on this forum, but half the time I can’t tell what the hell he is saying.  His wit and intellect brightens my day when I understand it, but most of the time he is in a far more enlightened space than me.  He also often hints at a dark, disturbed past, so I couldn’t give him anything higher than a 5.  Oh, and he’s using Windows Vista.  Jeeze…
  • BartvanderWolf – 6: See bjanes.
  • Erikkaffehr – 10:  Erik seems to know an awful lot about everything related to photography.  From physics to composition, his posts just make sense.  And, every post begins with a very diffusing, “Hi.”
  • Eronald - 2: A bit like Rob in that he is often in a more enlightened space than me. The 2 is because he fits the Batso esteem quite well: Enormous contribution but constantly poking the Angry Bear. I can’t help but think someone from Phase One ran over his puppy in the not-so-distant past. The only thing keeping him from a “1” is his humor.
  • Torger – 3:  Would have scored higher, but Torger uses a technical camera. In fact, Torger carries the tech camera torch for us all. He is the person in the commons preaching to everyone (yet no one in particular) that dark days are ahead for the equipment he loves (and I love).  When he isn’t wasting time posting he is wasting time producing valuable software, especially the Lumariver DOF App, which is the real unsung “Game Changer” in these parts. Ok I admit it. Probably too low of a score but I’m biased. Yeah, as if you didn’t already know that.
  • Panopeeper – 10:  We miss you.
If some are offended by all of this, then I blame it on reading too many Schewe posts.  There are of course many other great contributors:  Cheers to you all and thank you for your invaluable contributions to the Great Place.  Oh, and I sure hope Rob has by now upgraded from Vista.

Semper Farcisimus!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:55:36 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 07:19:28 pm »

If all I need to do to get a 10 is buy a Canon 5Ds/H6D, consider it done! ;)

Very flatteted by the inclusion in the list and by the kind words!

Cheers,
Bernard

landscapephoto

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 01:56:33 am »

Complaints have been aired recently about the fact that some non-professional MF photographers, or even non-MF photographers, have been posting on threads some would like to see kept for pros only.

James Russell, known here under the handle "bcooter", announced today that he will clear all his posts and leave.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111226.msg922403#msg922403

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:05 am »

If all I need to do to get a 10 is buy a Canon 5Ds/H6D, consider it done! ;)

Very flatteted by the inclusion in the list and by the kind words!

Cheers,
Bernard
We "8s" need to stick together, Bernard.

;)
Eric

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 10:07:14 am »

James Russell, known here under the handle "bcooter", announced today that he will clear all his posts and leave.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111226.msg922403#msg922403
In another thread, started by James, he and Ronald seem to have made their peace. I hope so.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=75783.2260

Ken R

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 04:19:45 pm »

It is not about being a professional or not. Actually owning and using medium format digital gear helps but this forum also serves prospective buyers.

The big problem I have is that a very vocal minority dedicates themselves to sow discord in this and other forums. Basically trolling. It is quite sad. Even though their info is quite a few times right they are wrong with their (lack of) communication skills and come across like naggy chronically unhappy and unsatisfied folk. Over and over again post after post the same arguments are repeated. They are also kings of the straw man.  Plus they almost always focus on what the product does not have rather than what it offers.

They might as well just get a A7RII and be happy, if that is possible.

Good day.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 01:27:04 am »

Great job, Edmund! You have driven away yet another talented photographer from this forum!
I can't wait till this forum is nothing but an echo chamber of you, Theo, Voidshatter, Manoli etc. throwing catchphrases like"Expensive! Multishot! Dynamic Range!" Etc. around with no one else left to care.

Golf clap.

/sarcasm
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 03:53:29 am »

Hi,

Edmund has actually owned a P45 and also had a P45+ as replacement. Did not work for him.

I also own a P45+ and I am less enthusiastic about it than most owners. I am more interested in image making capability than bragging rights, but I am still using the P45+.

I don't think this subforum is reserved for professionals, whatever professional may mean. Could be it is intended for mutual admiration, but I don't think that is really the case.

This forum is visited by many advanced photographers. It is not a great idea to discuss camera movements on the other subforums.

Chris Barret was a frequent and good poster here, but left the MF subforum when he saddled over to lesser format, see this thread: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=101458.0

Chris really took the consequences of leaving MF and also left this subforum. I don't think that was a great benefit. I would rather have him staying and sharing his experience.

Best regards
Erik

It is not about being a professional or not. Actually owning and using medium format digital gear helps but this forum also serves prospective buyers.

The big problem I have is that a very vocal minority dedicates themselves to sow discord in this and other forums. Basically trolling. It is quite sad. Even though their info is quite a few times right they are wrong with their (lack of) communication skills and come across like naggy chronically unhappy and unsatisfied folk. Over and over again post after post the same arguments are repeated. They are also kings of the straw man.  Plus they almost always focus on what the product does not have rather than what it offers.

They might as well just get a A7RII and be happy, if that is possible.

Good day.
Erik Kaffehr

hasselbladfan

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 06:56:34 am »

A negative minority should be "silenced" by the Administrators.

What else is there role?

I read more and more great contributors to throw in the towel on MF. An Ignore button is not a solution.

Administrator should warn negativists that this is not acceptable (and remove their post), to the satisfaction of the large majority.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 03:04:05 pm »

If I banned all the negative authors, the carpers and complainers, we would end up with a nice clean santized mono culture. Many might be happier with that.
Sorry folks, ain't going to happen on my watch. I ban only occasionally when the screeching irritates or when the civil compact is lost. This Forum is, for better or worse, made up of members from the public. It is not a private club but is free and open to all. You are free to come or go. You may choose to contribute or not - it is naturally entirely up to you. You make it or break it.

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »

Another thing to consider: not every section of LuLa is designated as open to 'critique', and if that's your bag, you can do it under the User's Critiques section. And even there I felt it necessary to introduce a thread called Without Prejudice simply as a 'safe house' to enable people to show their pictures without the unwanted chorus of second-guessers that inevitably chimes in with its post-event wisdom. Some, for their own reasons, may actually want such comments, but many do not.

Any thread which shows pro-work should not, in my mind, ever be subjected to 'critiques' for several reasons, not the least being that the man who has enough ability to be a pro, and do good work, hardly requires 'technique' help from people who are not his equals. If nothing more, it's just bloody rude and offensive.

If one likes the work, then it's nice to say so; if not, then why say anything?

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up