Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: el Salto Patagonia  (Read 9940 times)

Arlen

Re: el Salto Patagonia
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 03:58:59 pm »

For what it's worth to those pondering this issue, Firefox is managing the image correctly (i.e., it assumes it is in sRGB color space, even without an embedded profile) on my Windows 10 machine with wide gamut monitor; whereas both Chrome and Microsoft Edge are not.

For anyone who cares:

I should have pointed out, but forgot (because I did this so long ago), that for Firefox to color manage untagged images appropriately, you have to change a setting for Full Color Management to a value of 1, instead of leaving it at the default value of 2. It's easy to do, and is described here:
http://www.gballard.net/firefox/

And an excellent discussion, with test images, on color management of various browsers with tagged and untagged images is here:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

Sean H

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »

Together you would make a great comedy team.

Thanks for the information, Slobodan.

I was thinking of titling a book of my photos "Wow! Huh?" but now I guess I'll have to change it to "huh? wow!"

:D

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2016, 05:10:49 pm »

8)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

photoenthusiasm

• www.charlesniel.com
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 03:54:57 pm »

My comment was serious. But is it art? (Too) many books have been written on this subject. Two characteristics are necessary: it should be new/ original and, it should be of longlasting value. Especially the  last one is overlooked. It implies that not You or I decide on "is it art?" But the community: in time. This takes time and sharing. Sharing is easier these days and therefore many consider themselves an artist. If the wow is everlasting, this might be art. The "huh?"  is just the punctum, the catch. Many think this is enough to be an artist.
still life fine art photographer www.charlesniel.com

leeonmaui

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 08:01:59 pm »

Aloha,

Ok; I never liked this image, the composition is way off and the rock in the foreground especially bothered me just hanging there, but cropping it out took away from the small fallen leaves on the left which I really did like.
There were some fresh cut logs near the base of the small falls and up on the right, all that had tone cloned over, I actually made a new rock to cover the one log.
Its a shame I did not take more time to work at that location, as it really had potential, I should have gone a few steps down and gotten in the middle of the water/stream to balance out the falls.
I used high-tech stacked grads, which alway give things a tint, even when you work out the tint the image is affected.
But too many people started to show up, this is an easy place to get to (once you get to the ends of the earth) and I was with a group of people that i met up in the valley, and they were not photographers, and I could see they wanted to go.
That was my first mistake, and broke a long standing rule of mine, don't go anywhere to work with other people, its too much of a distraction.
So anyways, I never planned to do much with this shot, and if I ever go back to Patagonia, its not on my list to do over...

Funny story about that day;

In El Chaltan, the place where you can stock up and where you start your hike into the valley, there are a good number of local dogs that pretty much wander around, they hang out by the restaurants, waiting for scraps or a scratch on the head, they are pretty friendly and cool. the day we hiked to El Salto, this big dirty white dog was hanging out by were my friends and I gathered to start our hike. I had met this dog before, and given him some leftovers, so he seems pretty happy to see me again, once we started our hike, he just tagged along, doing dog stuff, running ahead to make sure the coast was clear and smelling everything to see what was up, he was as excited about the hike as we were.
El Chaltan is outside the national park, as you hike down the road, at some point, you enter the national park, there are signs posted, entering Los Glacier National Park. On the signs are posted the things you can't do; no fires, stay on the trail, do not litter, bring out your trash, stuff like that, and also on the list; NO DOGS!
The big scruffy white dog, who had been eagerly hiking right along with us approached the sign ahead of us; slowed and sat down precisely in front of the sign. We approached the sign and walked pasted it, walked into the park, past the invisible boarder. Right away the dog, started to whine in that baleful lost sad dog whine, it knew it could go no further, but was begging us for some sort of sign that it could join us! As much as he wanted to, he was not breaking his training, but you could almost read his thoughts; man one day I'm going! I really really want to check that place out, whats everybody going there for!
4 hours later when we hiked back out, he was there to greet us and happily walked back into town with us, where he helped us finish our lunch and got his ears scratched. 

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 07:54:36 am »

Great perspective, Jim.

I've been following this discussion with interest. I recently joined LuLa, and for just this sort of repartee.

Here's an observation: The first major exhibition of the French impressionist painters, the "Exposition des Impressionists," was held in the salon of the photographer known as Nadar. From that point, painting has progressed through various degrees of freedom, almost always with some negative criticism along the way. In fact, this 1874 Exposition was the subject of a very critical work which labeled Monet's painting, "Impression: soleil levant," as merely a sketch, more fitted as a wallpaper pattern than as a finished work of art. Photography also went through its travails, though rather more limited by the tools available. We had the "pictorialists" and romantics and we had the f64 realists (though they knew how to torture a negative pretty well).

Today, we find ourselves confronted with as much of a challenge as that faced by the art world of 1874, when something new burst on the scene. I think we're handling it badly, too quick to condemn anything which doesn't fit our notion of a proper photo, especially among landscapes. We fail to realize that none of our depictions of reality are reality itself. And we fail to allow latitude for those who want to stretch reality more than we do.

For me, the test is if I have a reaction to the work. Does it tell me a story? Convey a feeling? Does it do this well (even if not the way I would have done it just so)?

For the OPs photo, my answers are yes, yes and yes. It's a powerful photo, even if that waterfall was never blue and even if that tree was not so red. This view tells me something about what the photographer saw in his mind and what he felt and I value that.

I'll post one of my own interpretations of reality soon and see what happens.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

leeonmaui

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 07:36:24 pm »

El Salto, less blue...

The falls are named El Salto, the minerals filter through the rocks, the walls have different coloured mineral deposits on them, theres a place in the Narrows in Zion that has a similar effect, the place in Zion has a similar name, like the salt wall or the blue wall, I forget.
But anyway, even the print proof is not as blue as the image posted, went a little blue somehow in the conversion i guess.

However the tree was a really bright red!!! there always seems to be a singing star of a tree right where you wanted it when I was shooting down there...

Ps I'm really just posting this to see how many post views it will get lol

leeonmaui

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »

Aloha,
holy crap! remarkable rocks had almost 16,000 post views, I give up!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up