Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What issues with moving a larger (24") format printer cross country?  (Read 1185 times)

ymc226

I am thinking of getting the new Epson SC7000 and may move cross country in the next 2 years.  I would be using a moving company to get all of our belongings from NJ to CA. The printer is not essential as I am a hobbyist.  How large are the risks in damaging the printer if I keep all of the packaging and re-pack the printer in the box it came in?  Any essential procedures to follow?

BAB

Re: What issues with moving a larger (24") format printer cross country?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:22:03 pm »

there will be a spacer lock for the head with a string and tag on it, you must remove that during set up of the printer, and replace it if printer is going to be moved.

I suggest you tape the spacer lock to the back of the printer, then you will know where it is when you move.

Also the new printers have self aligning head mode so easy to re set up the printer.

By the way I moved from Chicago to Los Angeles in 1978 dont know why you would want to wait two more years to leave NJ.....!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Del

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »

I was recently faced with a similar dilemma and received a lot of advice about the pros and cons of moving one. I moved in January and feared the cold, etc. on my 7880.  Didn't want to worry about that, etc.  In the end I sold it easily for a fair price and used the proceeds and a little more to purchase a new P6000 here in Arizona.  For me at least that proved to be the best solution.  Good luck with your decision.
Del

chez

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:42:48 pm »

I bought a used Z3100 24" from Boston and had it shipped to British Columbia. I had the printer strapped down on pallets and thoroughly shrink wrapped and shipped using air cylinder transport. No problems at all.

ymc226

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:25:55 pm »

there will be a spacer lock for the head with a string and tag on it, you must remove that during set up of the printer, and replace it if printer is going to be moved.

I suggest you tape the spacer lock to the back of the printer, then you will know where it is when you move.

Also the new printers have self aligning head mode so easy to re set up the printer.

By the way I moved from Chicago to Los Angeles in 1978 dont know why you would want to wait two more years to leave NJ.....!

Thanks to all that responded.  I know . . . NJ is where I should be running from.  It turns out it's not so bad but a change in career will be due in a few years.  LA, specifically, Santa Monica is my hometown.  Can't wait to go back and will probably live in the Santa Monica, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades area.

Just read a review of the Epson SC 7000 which stated that it needs regular printing.  Will start a new thread about the new Canon imagePrograf Pro-2000.   My main concern is about issues with long spells between printing and quality of prints specifically B&W as it is not supported by ImagePrint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up