Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LR CC 2015.6 and Photoshop CC 2015.5 print bug (Mac)  (Read 57148 times)

Rand47

Re: LR CC 2015.6 and Photoshop CC 2015.5 print bug (Mac)
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2016, 11:08:22 pm »

Yes they have Mark.

Interesting, where?  I've been checking via the Utilities menu for driver updates, and have not seen an update.  I'm using Epson's recommendations for media settings and downloaded ICC profiles for the Legacy Papers.  I'd love to have a link to where I can download a Windwos driver with the Legaicy Papers included.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:10 am »

Interesting, where?  I've been checking via the Utilities menu for driver updates, and have not seen an update.  I'm using Epson's recommendations for media settings and downloaded ICC profiles for the Legacy Papers.  I'd love to have a link to where I can download a Windwos driver with the Legaicy Papers included.

Rand

I suggest you go to the Drivers and Downloads section of the Support tab for your printer model on the Epson website and see what the latest available versions are of the driver, firmware and utilities packages compared with what is installed on your computer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

elolaugesen

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2016, 10:32:24 am »

Hi:  up and running photoshop 16.1.2(2015.1.2)  instead of Photoshop  17.0(2015.5)    I ran a printer test with the Digidog "Gamut test file".  Printed it out using my profile for the smooth matte art paper,  setting relative colorimetric.....   with both PS versions.     3880 with the up todate  driver.  latest Mac 10.11.5

The change in colors are obvious and very easy to see.  Especially the banding in the area hi-lighted by digitaldog in a previous post(reply 24).  I found that the blues in the top of the test file (with all the fish) darker with the earlier version of PS  ????   this is different than the cloths/material at the top right that seem all darker in the 2015.5 version of PS.

In fact my other half (the artist) feels that the 2015.5 version has a very different colors all over the place especially if you look at the cloths at the right top of the test print.    All colors seem to me to slightly darker.  (one of the cloths is purple with the old version of PS while the new version looks blue...
Will now let the papers dry for 24 hours and then look again.    in the meantime ....  thank heaven I did all my printing yesterday with the older version of PS

all this is purely visual observation.      cheers elo   

Rand47

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:09 am »

I suggest you go to the Drivers and Downloads section of the Support tab for your printer model on the Epson website and see what the latest available versions are of the driver, firmware and utilities packages compared with what is installed on your computer.

Mark,

Just did, latest version is 6.72 released on 6-19-15.   Here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=273233&infoType=Downloads
And this is what is installed on my machine for my SC P800.  No "in driver" support for Legacy papers.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:42 pm »

Mark,

Just did, latest version is 6.72 released on 6-19-15.   Here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=273233&infoType=Downloads
And this is what is installed on my machine for my SC P800.  No "in driver" support for Legacy papers.

Rand

Hmm, strange, because the latest driver for OSX DOES include the Legacy Media Types and profiles. Perhaps give Epson ProGraphics tech support a call and ask them about it.

howardm

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2016, 12:16:14 pm »

here are the ICC profiles for the SC P800 Legacy papers.  Extracted from the OSX driver package, the files are platform agnostic.

https://app.box.com/s/m21zhqt4a8r0ojatrhxylawb5ci6d76f

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

That will be very helpful to him Howard for having the right profile selected in his printing application, but *I think* he still won't be able to select those papers as Media Types in the driver. This means he will need to use the next closest Epson Media Types in his version of the driver. If I remember correctly, it would be Premium Luster for Legacy Baryta and Platine, and possibly Velvet Fine Art for Legacy Fibre and Etching, but I may be mistaken - best to try sample prints on those papers with several alternative Media Types, such as VFA, Hot Press Natural, USFAP, etc.

David Good

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2016, 02:39:36 pm »

Rand

Rand47

Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »

here are the ICC profiles for the SC P800 Legacy papers.  Extracted from the OSX driver package, the files are platform agnostic.

https://app.box.com/s/m21zhqt4a8r0ojatrhxylawb5ci6d76f

Howard,

Thanks.  I have the ICC profiles from Epson.  The instructions that came with them provide "media type" to use in the Epson driver.  What I was hoping for was a driver w/ the Legacy papers as a media type choice so that the proper feed and thickness etc. are included automatically.

I'm properly color managed, in other words, but I find it odd that Epson would have a Mac driver that has the Legacy papers as a proper media type selection, yet not one for Windows.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

David Good

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »

David,

Thanks, but your link is for an Epson 3880.

Rand

Ahh, I saw it referenced in an earlier post.  :P

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2016, 05:57:59 am »

Howard,

Thanks.  I have the ICC profiles from Epson.  The instructions that came with them provide "media type" to use in the Epson driver.  What I was hoping for was a driver w/ the Legacy papers as a media type choice so that the proper feed and thickness etc. are included automatically.

I'm properly color managed, in other words, but I find it odd that Epson would have a Mac driver that has the Legacy papers as a proper media type selection, yet not one for Windows.

Rand

I have the SC8000 and it does include Legacy paper types as well as profiles.  The (W10) driver is dated from 1/26 so it seems strange that a later driver for the SC800 doesn't include them
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:02:05 am by mcbroomf »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »

Been traveling for a while so just getting up to speed on this bug.

Using printer managed color, then choosing the colorsync option in the printer dialog allows you to use the profile of your choice.  Output using this path visually appears identical to my test on OS X 10.11.0 and LR 6.0.  definitely different than OS X 10.11.5 and LR CC 2015.6.  as mentioned, very subtle, in most images maybe not even visually perceptible.

This is on a p800.  The test I printed with the older version of LR was using the most recent version of this driver (9.79), the LR 2015.6 text an older one (9.41).  Noticed this p800 driver was just updated in the past couple of weeks along with several other Epson printers, so need to update the driver and retest with the 10.11.5 and 2015.6 (although based on this thread guessing that will be an exercise in futility).

Using ColorSync  not a great work around, as colorsync doesn’t allow a choice of rendering intent ... and i’m not even sure what rendering intent it is using. I think there is a way to choose and set a default, but seems easier just to roll back a version.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »

Been traveling for a while so just getting up to speed on this bug.

Using printer managed color, then choosing the colorsync option in the printer dialog allows you to use the profile of your choice.  Output using this path visually appears identical to my test on OS X 10.11.0 and LR 6.0.  definitely different than OS X 10.11.5 and LR CC 2015.6.  as mentioned, very subtle, in most images maybe not even visually perceptible.

This is on a p800.  The test I printed with the older version of LR was using the most recent version of this driver (9.79), the LR 2015.6 text an older one (9.41).  Noticed this p800 driver was just updated in the past couple of weeks along with several other Epson printers, so need to update the driver and retest with the 10.11.5 and 2015.6 (although based on this thread guessing that will be an exercise in futility).

Using ColorSync  not a great work around, as colorsync doesn’t allow a choice of rendering intent ... and i’m not even sure what rendering intent it is using. I think there is a way to choose and set a default, but seems easier just to roll back a version.

From the rigorous testing I have done with Photoshop (because the methodology needs Absolute RI) the differences between the current and previous versions of LR/PS are less subtle in some colours than others. The driver update for the P800 has nothing to do with this problem and no impact on it, so you needn't waste your time on it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2016, 06:25:48 pm »

From the rigorous testing I have done with Photoshop (because the methodology needs Absolute RI) the differences between the current and previous versions of LR/PS are less subtle in some colours than others.
I concur. Some colors have tiny dE differences. Blues on this end (3880) are affected the most. I should have a P800 here tomorrow and wish to test it as well.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2016, 06:27:34 pm »

Using ColorSync  not a great work around, as colorsync doesn’t allow a choice of rendering intent ... and i’m not even sure what rendering intent it is using.
Probably Perceptual since that's what most profiles define for the RI when not asked by the user. IOW, the profiles are built to have a default set in such cases.

graeme

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2016, 06:38:05 pm »

I was printing out one of my partner's designs a couple of days ago ( from PS 2015.5 ) & noticed that the colours were a bit off. I did a quick & dirty print test ( attached ) printing from PS CS2015.5, Lightroom 2015.6 & PS CS5 all using the same paper / printer profile & rendering intent. I got the best soft proof to print match using PS CS5. The other two were noticeably less satisfactory. Puzzlingly PS CC 2015.5 & Lightroom CC 2015.6 gave different results although I'm pretty sure I used identical print settings.

I'm using OS X 10.10.5 so I'm assuming that this is a result of the bug that this thread's about. ( The printer is a low end dye based Canon but it's profiled & I've been getting good print to screen matches from it ).

Have any of you guys tried printing from Affinity Photo? I've been working with Affinity Designer ( their Illustrator rival ) for a couple of months & am quite impressed with it. Wondering if I can get good results by outputting jpegs from Lightroom's print module & printing them from Photo. I know I can use PS CS5 but it's a bit cranky with Yosemite & will probably cease working entirely when I eventually upgrade the OS. I know I can try & revert to earlier versions of PS & Lightroom CC but I'm getting heartily sick of the Creative Cloud & Adobe in general so I'm starting to think about leaving the Adobiverse. ( I can't believe I'm writing this - I used to love using Adobe stuff ).

elolaugesen

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2016, 09:12:19 am »

re changing rendering intent...  go to colorsync utility then select the calculator option and a screen comes up which allows you to change the intent for any profile....  never tried it assume it works..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:17:11 am by elolaugesen »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2016, 09:54:44 am »

re changing rendering intent...  go to colorsync utility then select the calculator option and a screen comes up which allows you to change the intent for any profile....  never tried it assume it works..
I think that only affects the calculator values.

elolaugesen

« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2016, 12:23:30 pm »

Tried the colorsync  change I did not see any change in the headers afterwards    -  think it does not work as I hoped it would..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up