Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kapture group 's Multi Shot & Long Exposure-how does it work  (Read 5238 times)

Ganesh6667

Hi,
I recently bought a Phase One H20 and intend to use it in my Sinar F2.
I have not used film since the last 10 years or so as clients only wanted to shoot on digital. dslr (canon 5D2 and others)
I was informed that H20 needs a wake-up cable when connected to the sinar and was told that since I am into industrial photographer and need to work with very low available light, the Kapture Group's Multi Shot & Long Exposure gadget was a better option.
But I have not seen one and am not sure how it works.
I am sure that many of you have worked on this and will guide me.
Is this better than a one shot cable release?
Hoping to find some answers.
Warm regards.
Ganesh.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Kapture group 's Multi Shot & Long Exposure-how does it work
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:35:23 pm »

I haven't used the cable but the description is here
http://www.kapturegroup.com/phase/phase.html

You need a two shot cable because the first shot just wakes up the Phase back and the second shot takes the pic.
(A cumbersome process and a good reason to go Hasselblad, which doesn't need a wake up.)

However you can get the same effect by just firing the shutter twice within about 4 secs.
The fancy and expensive cable just makes it easier.
If you have some electronics skills you could make something to do the job if you can get the connectors, which is another problem.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:21:08 am »

I have one and use it all of the time. 

If your main goal is long exposures, then go with the wake up cable.  This device really does not give you an advantage. 

However, if you want to have multiple strobe bursts in the same digital capture (true multiple exposures like we did with film), this device allows you to do that. 

Essentially, you would be manually controlling the length of the exposure without the shutters connected to your digital back, so the shutters snapping would have no effect on what the back does or reads, and have your strobes synced to the shutter.  The back would see it as a long exposure, however long it took you to get through the all of the strobe burst. 

FYI, only the P25+, P45+ and the newer IQ backs can do very long exposures well.  I would say your limit, before noise becomes an issue, is 30 seconds.   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:53:46 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ganesh6667

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:42:41 pm »

I haven't used the cable but the description is here
http://www.kapturegroup.com/phase/phase.html

You need a two shot cable because the first shot just wakes up the Phase back and the second shot takes the pic.
(A cumbersome process and a good reason to go Hasselblad, which doesn't need a wake up.)

However you can get the same effect by just firing the shutter twice within about 4 secs.
The fancy and expensive cable just makes it easier.
If you have some electronics skills you could make something to do the job if you can get the connectors, which is another problem.

Thank you very much BobShaw.
I live in Bangalore, India and these things are a bit hard to come by.
I am yet to experiment.

Ganesh6667

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:27 pm »

I have one and use it all of the time. 

If your main goal is long exposures, then go with the wake up cable.  This device really does not give you an advantage. 

However, if you want to have multiple strobe bursts in the same digital capture (true multiple exposures like we did with film), this device allows you to do that. 

Essentially, you would be manually controlling the length of the exposure without the shutters connected to your digital back, so the shutters snapping would have no effect on what the back does or reads, and have your strobes synced to the shutter.  The back would see it as a long exposure, however long it took you to get through the all of the strobe burst. 

FYI, only the P25+, P45+ and the newer IQ backs can do very long exposures well.  I would say your limit, before noise becomes an issue, is 30 seconds.

Thank you JoeKitchen.
I find this very helpful.
I will source a wake-up cable.
I will be working on long exposures with multiple flash pops as the interiors of most factories can be very dimly lit for 50 or 100ISO. Exposures of a max of about 10 seconds with multi pops. The literature of H20 says max exposure time for the back is 16 secs.
I have thought of buying a chinese adapter for large format without the sliding back, as I thought I can use the slide on the rear standard itself. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ray R

Pages: [1]   Go Up