Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fan Ho, a Hong Kong based photographer  (Read 2660 times)

John R

Fan Ho, a Hong Kong based photographer
« on: June 27, 2016, 06:58:56 pm »

How many people have heard of the late Fan Ho, a Hong Kong based photographer? I only heard of him today. Just saw some of his work here. Some of the best BW work I have ever seen. I love the play of light and shadow in much of his work.

JR
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:02:22 pm by John R »

graeme

Re: Fan Ho, a Hong Kong based photographer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:38 pm »

How many people have heard of the late Fan Ho, a Hong Kong based photographer? I only heard of him today. Just saw some of his work here. Some of the best BW work I have ever seen. I love the play of light and shadow in much of his work.

JR

+1 John. I hadn't heard of him until DP Review reported his death a few days ago. Brilliant work.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:48 am »

I did, a while ago, as The Art of Photography's subscriber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmnXHPjhSIM

Really liked many of his works, e.g. Approaching Shadow...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:08:27 am »

Thanks John. His work is exceptional. From "Approaching Shadow" and "Hong Kong Midnight 1958" I can see he was very familiar with Cartier-Bresson's work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:17:30 pm »

I've been a Fan fan for a long time.  ;)  So long that I can't remember how/when I first saw his work. Pre-WWW so probably in a magazine. I have two books of his photos, one of which came with a DVD containing some short films very much in the style of his stills work.

-Dave-

John R

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:44 pm »

Wish you guys had posted it. Fan Ho's work is the kind of photography that could easily inspire one to take up photography and try black and white work. Don't want to start a war, but I really like this work better than CB and most of the others I have seen. So much depth in the compositions and play of light and shadow. The lady in the graphic-like scene and shadow is an image I will not soon forget. Perhaps I am also swayed by the unusual raw-like subject matter that was old Hong Kong, combined with the light, that one can hardly find today. Just amazing work. Thanks for the link Zorki.

I will see if can a hold of  some of his books.

JR

stamper

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:00 am »

Thanks for posting. This kind of work is something that I am very interested in. Finding locations that can be photographed in a similar manner is challenging.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:19 am »

I think I posted it a link to him a couple of years ago on a thread that was dedicated to interesting links. It died.

Makes me think of Brexit!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up