Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doppelgangers  (Read 1704 times)

mk_takes_pictures

Doppelgangers
« on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:00 pm »

I wonder if this is any good. I like street photography but I don't want to shove my 28mm lens in anybody's face.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Doppelgangers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »

Hi MK and welcome to LuLa. Technically it's not a bad shot though it needs to have the blank space on the left cropped off. Its main problem is that it's jus two guys walking down the sidewalk. For street photography to be good it needs to say something more than "here are two guys walking down a sidewalk." I do like the way you used the window to make it look as if there are four guys walking toward each other.

Here's a suggestion. If you're going to do street photography you can't get too worried about shoving a lens in somebody's face. But I'd suggest you go at least to a 50mm. 28mm usually is just too wide to be a good street lens.

Anyhow, it's a good start. Hope to see more of your work on here.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

mk_takes_pictures

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:30:21 am »

Hello Russ.

Thank you for feedback. It is very appreciated and I think you are right. There's indeed not a whole lot going on apart from „two guys walking down a sidewalk“.
I made another version where I cropped, so that the framing is different. Still not a lot going on though. I'm going to try a longer focal length as you suggested.

RSL

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:18:36 am »

I like this one a lot. The window reflection really works well now. I do wish you'd left the sign over the shop on the right, though. It tends to balance the composition.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:03:24 pm »

I made another version where I cropped, so that the framing is different. Still not a lot going on though. I'm going to try a longer focal length as you suggested.
May I suggest an "almost-square" crop, just to take away the left wall?

I think that the square format would give a strong contrast between the "staticness" of the format itself and the tension between the directions of the two guys and their reflections.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:19 pm »

I like this one a lot. The window reflection really works well now. I do wish you'd left the sign over the shop on the right, though. It tends to balance the composition.
I agree with Russ.
The new crop on the left and bottom is just right. In the top, I would get rid of the partial windows but keep the store sign on the right.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:14:25 am »

If the shop window had a sign that juxtaposed with the figures then it would be a worthy image. That is what I try to do. Capture images with figures that relate to something in the background. As others have pointed out your original image isn't balanced. Something like this.

mk_takes_pictures

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:31:46 am »

Thank you all for your feedback. Helps me a lot.
A nice window reflection doesn't make a good image.

mk_takes_pictures

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:43 am »

If the shop window had a sign that juxtaposed with the figures then it would be a worthy image. That is what I try to do. Capture images with figures that relate to something in the background. As others have pointed out your original image isn't balanced. Something like this.

I see your point. It's about conveying a message.
This following image I took a while ago. I guess there is a message.

stamper

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 05:03:25 am »

Thank you all for your feedback. Helps me a lot.
A nice window reflection doesn't make a good image.

That is subjective and I see that you are a new member. Are you trying to be provocative? Some feel they have to be in order to make an immediate impact. Recently there has been a lot of good window reflections type images posted on here that have been well received. Do a search in the critique section.  Your posted image is a good street image, well processed, imo. I am left wondering why you posted your comment. :-\

stamper

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:08:36 am »

I wonder if this is any good. I like street photography but I don't want to shove my 28mm lens in anybody's face.

I agree with Russ about the 28mm being too wide but recommending something else is contentious. I like to use a small good quality zoom that gives me the opportunity to set it at a 50mm but use the long end if needed.

mk_takes_pictures

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:59 am »

That is subjective and I see that you are a new member. Are you trying to be provocative? Some feel they have to be in order to make an immediate impact. Recently there has been a lot of good window reflections type images posted on here that have been well received. Do a search in the critique section.  Your posted image is a good street image, well processed, imo. I am left wondering why you posted your comment. :-\

I wasn't aware of that there has been a surge of window reflection images on here and I`m not trying to be provocative either.
You might have misinterpreted because English isn't my first tongue. I find the critique in here generally well-argued and helpful.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:38:50 am »

I wasn't aware of that there has been a surge of window reflection images on here and I`m not trying to be provocative either.
You might have misinterpreted because English isn't my first tongue. I find the critique in here generally well-argued and helpful.

I probably have misinterpreted you. If you can produce street images like the one you posted of the beggar then you are well on the way to being a good street photographer. :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:42:06 am »

The beggar photo is excellent in all respects.
The "doppelganger" photo is nice with some cropping as suggested, IMHO.

Do show us more!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 12:43:35 am »

it needs to have the blank space on the left cropped off

Can't believe Russ suggested to crop off something... Welcome to the club  ;)

My own attitude to cropping pretty much... matches that of Arnold Newman.

P.S. Yes, I do understand that if mk_takes_pictures have used 50mm instead of 28mm he wouldn't have to crop [often]; I agree with your suggestions.

mk_takes_pictures

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 07:23:09 am »

The beggar photo is excellent in all respects.
The "doppelganger" photo is nice with some cropping as suggested, IMHO.

Do show us more!

Thank you Eric, very kind.

Here's another one:
I'd call it „The Weary Kind“.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:29:30 am by mk_takes_pictures »

mk_takes_pictures

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 07:27:31 am »

Can't believe Russ suggested to crop off something... Welcome to the club  ;)

My own attitude to cropping pretty much... matches that of Arnold Newman.

P.S. Yes, I do understand that if mk_takes_pictures have used 50mm instead of 28mm he wouldn't have to crop [often]; I agree with your suggestions.

Very interesting video, I really can relate to the idea of environmental portraiture. Newmans photos are incredible btw.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 08:28:05 am »

Very nice the second two - good luck with your shooting too - you have a very good eye for this. Along with the Arnold Newman clip which is valuable in understanding cropping to a degree - it's also worth looking at the workings of Directors of Photography in cinema/motion pictures. When a director and a D.P. first start preparing for a shoot - they make the decision on the "aspect ratio" i.e. the frame or crop if you will around which the image content appears. These are some of the most important decisions in the entire shoot. This is never a static or predetermined idea - but quite fluid.  There are many to choose from and it is never "one size fits all" as you find out. The choice for a particular aspect ratio not only effects what is in the frame and how you shoot, but how the viewer will react emotionally to what's in the frame etc., etc. These initial conversations are very instructive in making these decisions. You can probably go online and read a number of articles published in American Cinematographer which relay these stories and are worth the read. /B
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:42:56 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 08:51:39 am »

Hi MK (mk_takes_pictures is a bit of a jawbreaker. You might want to give us a name. We'll never tell.)

I really like "The Weary Kind," but I'd tone it down a bit in PP. It's a bit too blindingly bright. But the composition and graphic relationships are excellent. I like your hobo woman too. The play on the "Feed Me" trash can is very good. But one thing to watch out for with this category of picture is the tendency for them to become tedious. There are thousands and thousands of hobo pictures out there. I probably have at least three or four hundred in my own catalog. They're just too easy. And you're liable to get this kind of reaction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up