Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutterfly Request  (Read 2720 times)

pearlstreet

Shutterfly Request
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »

So I get a request to use one of our images for an article Shutterfly is doing - they will give me credit!! I respond that we don't license images to be used without compensation. They respond that they don't have a budget for image usage.

Guess what...I don't have a budget for Shutterfly photo books.

I know this is old news - we all get these requests - but when someone searches "shutterfly", I hope this thread shows up.

shotupdave

Re: Shutterfly Request
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:56 pm »

Since shutterfly has a capital value over 1B $, i think they can afford to actually pay for photos. Maybe they should print all of us a few free books, imagine all the good advertising that will give them. We will credit them for the printing.

Their actions actually show their great disrespect of photographers.

Benny Profane

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:06:09 pm »

Hey, at least they asked.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »

I wonder where they saw you image.
With people uploading billions of images to social media and other uncompensated sites its no wonder people expect all images to be free. I imagine Shutterfly and other image users asks for free all the time and gets it free most of the time.

pearlstreet

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:28:07 pm »

It was an architecture image.  Why they thought that would be free, I don't know.

Sharon

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:14:54 am »

If everyone would hold to their principles than these CHEAP million and billion dollar companies would get a budget.  If they can't pay then they shouldn't get the image!!

TimothyWolcott.com

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:49:11 am »

If everyone would hold to their principles than these CHEAP million and billion dollar companies would get a budget.  If they can't pay then they shouldn't get the image!!

TimothyWolcott.com

That's the problem. There are so many people who shoot an image and they're just tickled to have it in print or to receive a credit. A friend of mine who teaches photography says if you shoot a great image, but don't know how to repeat it, you're a lucky photographer, not a great photographer. There are a lot of lucky photographers who have one great image they are willing to give away for a credit. And everyone now has a camera with them all the time.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 07:01:14 am »

Have to agree with David, and I do not see it changing.  Stock has no money in it anymore just because so many people have cameras and "lucky" photographs happen. 

I ignore it and try not to get upset by it, or anything else that I can not effect. 

Move on, produce amazing work that few can and get assignments for your vision.  That is the nature of today's market. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

pearlstreet

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:09:51 am »

I know I can't change it - I'm thankful for clients who see the value.

Sharon
Pages: [1]   Go Up