Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stiff polarizing filter  (Read 4055 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Stiff polarizing filter
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:59:40 pm »

I bought an 82mm B+W polarizing filter and it has proven difficult to use. Optically it is fine but rotating the outer ring is very stiff. It's so stiff that sometimes I end up pushing my zoom lens extension back in because I have to press so hard. Is there something I can do about this or should I just return it. Are all B+W pol filters like this? The Hoya I havae for another lens is much better in this regard.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Stiff polarizing filter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »

Return it and get a new one, likely one side of the rotating rings is slightly out of round.

dwswager

Re: Stiff polarizing filter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:33:09 pm »

I bought an 82mm B+W polarizing filter and it has proven difficult to use. Optically it is fine but rotating the outer ring is very stiff. It's so stiff that sometimes I end up pushing my zoom lens extension back in because I have to press so hard. Is there something I can do about this or should I just return it. Are all B+W pol filters like this? The Hoya I havae for another lens is much better in this regard.

There is a defect.  However, unlike most people here, I am not a fan boy for B+W filters.  I find they bind just as much as Hoya filters and while the glass is great from a distortion perspective, I find they are no more neutral than any other filter except really cheapy ones.

Personally, for my money, the best overall CPL at any cost is the Nikon CPL-II.  It has the best effect strength without going over the top and it is easy to clean.  If you need water tight, then the B+W (XS?) is the way to go.  I like Hoya Filters, but have not used the HD3 CPL which seems to please most users.
Pages: [1]   Go Up