Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denali National Park  (Read 1941 times)

skierd

Denali National Park
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:31:02 am »

I'm lucky enough to live 2 hours north of Denali National Park, and get to/have to travel there for work every Thursday and/or Friday depending on the time of year.  I pretty much make it standard to drive in as far as allowed on the park road and just about always have my Pentax riding shotgun. 

Some days it's miserably cold, cloudy, etc, but some days I get lucky too.

Denali by David Dawson, on Flickr

From earlier today

Denali June 2016 web- by David Dawson, on Flickr

Denali June 2016 web-2164 by David Dawson, on Flickr

If it's not against the rules, I'll occasionally update and add to this thread as time goes on, possibly with flora

Denali June 2016 web-2151 by David Dawson, on Flickr

and fauna

Denali 2016 web-1142 by David Dawson, on Flickr

as they see fit to find their way in to my viewfinder.

Comments and criticism is always welcome.  Sharing your own memories of DNP are welcome too, or if there are other locals your shots and advice.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Denali National Park
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 04:06:03 am »

A couple of good images here.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:25:47 am »

Lucky you! #1: I might shave off a bit of sky to emphasize the structure in the mountains.

the_marshall_101

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:19:16 pm »

Love the first one and the moose!

skierd

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 03:09:40 am »

Today's addition.

Nenana River at Mount Healy by David Dawson, on Flickr

Not quite the park, but on the way if you're coming from Fairbanks

Nenana Rail Station, Alaska by David Dawson, on Flickr

Moose calves near Riley Creek, orphaned in early June when a park visitor shot their mother inside the park boundaries near the entrance.  No arrests have been made, yet.  The calves probably wont last the summer...

Orphan Moose web-2212 by David Dawson, on Flickr

Orphan Moose web-2220 by David Dawson, on Flickr

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 06:32:18 am »

The first image of the Moose is very nice
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

skierd

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 02:33:18 am »

Mountain spine on Stampede Road by David Dawson, on Flickr

or black and white

At the end of the Stampede Road, for cars anyway.  Further on in to the wild requires a 4x4, atv, or good hiking boots.  Maybe some common sense too.

Sean H

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 02:05:21 pm »

David: These images are really interesting; all of them. The vistas are stunning, maybe you should consider working for the Tourism office. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way: I am envious of your ability to go that park on a regular basis. Alaska must be such an interesting place to photograph and thanks for highlighting this through your postings. The young moose look healthy. It will be a miracle if they survive to adulthood as they probably do not have sufficient skill and stamina to evade predators. The latest landscape picture ("Mountain Spine on Stampede Road") is interesting and beautiful and as a photograph has much potential (if you ever consider selling your work). I have one minor comment:

Look at the colour version. If you divide the picture in half by drawing a line vertically in the middle of the photo, compare and contrast the shades of blue/cyan on the far left vs. the right. On the right-hand side the colours on the mountain seem perfect on the far left, there seems to be a slight predominance of blue/cyan. I say "seems: because everyone's monitor is different and maybe what I am seeing indicates something about my monitor. However, if you see this too, when processing, you may wish to investigate this and just very slightly reduce the blue/cyan. But there is a risk in doing so, you may negatively affect the blues/greens in the rest of the photo. Still, in the photo the mix of clouds and mountains is stunning.

This is not a criticism, just my experience as I have gone back and forth between both versions of the photo: In the colour photograph I notice subtle things in hue and, patterns of shadow on the mountains. In the B&W photo the clouds capture my attention. Either version has its advantages.

Keep up the great work!

Sean

or black and white

At the end of the Stampede Road, for cars anyway.  Further on in to the wild requires a 4x4, atv, or good hiking boots.  Maybe some common sense too.

skierd

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 02:12:45 am »

Sean, thank you for the critique!

Savage River plain, fall in Denali National Park

Savage River, Fall by David Dawson, on Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up