Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calais Lace  (Read 2293 times)

Rob C

Calais Lace
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:43:59 am »

philaitman

Re: Calais Lace
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:02:47 am »

I'm lucky enough to have a copy of the wonderful Nazraeli Press book of this work.
It's quite a beautiful collection. Michael Kenna at his best.

His France retrospective book (also by Nazraeli Press) also has a number of these images in wonderful print.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »

Simply put he is one of my very favourite photographers.

Rob, viewing this work has even me thinking about a V Series body together with what are now dirt cheap used CFV 38x38 16MP backs. No need for anything larger, more sophisticated or modern.

Keith Carter and Michael Kenna approved ;-)

It takes ex-owners of that fabled Series to really understand. It isn't simply the format, it's also the physicality of the damned thing. I've never owned anything photographic that was more fit for purpose, and that includes all the Nikons I ever had, and also my Rollie TLR. Victor was a friggin' genius.

I'm afraid that I also have to agree about a digital back - film, for me, is too far out of reasonable reach. I fear, though, that being cropped, but within a regular body, it would ruin the experience of using the actual finders again... by the by, does it have to be tethered to a computer to work with those backs you mention? I'm very close to being tempted to spend. Maybe my idea (in the Kina thred) about a 36x36 sensor in a mini Hassy was possibly already available after all, had I but thought.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:16 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLJPzhOGJM

I didn't know he was given to panoramic formats... surely, not crops from square!

Great shots, though, and new to me.

Rob

philaitman

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 06:14:31 am »

The photographs have been cropped for the video presentation. I can confirm they are square format (with a couple 4x5 -most likely from his Holga- shots)
Pages: [1]   Go Up