Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hopefully not a silly question... Do you carry the lens hoods in your bag?  (Read 2872 times)

mpower

• Matthew

My photography usually takes me to PerĂº, and since I shoot film I have to make space for (usually) two bodies, three primes I feel I can trust, ANNNNDDDD like 40 rolls of film, which takes up a LOT of space in the bag.

After reading a book by Galen Rowell I learned about using grad filters in the type of photography I enjoy. Since adding filters to the bag, I find that something simply has to go. I think it has to be the lens hoods. For three lenses I need three hoods, and that is a lot of space, even if I get creative.

I look at the contrast of a scene, and I think my left hand can block that side light when needed.

I am just curious if anyone has ever thought, "All these plastic hoods need to go!" Or maybe hoods do something my left hand cannot.

Thank you,

Matthew
I started my journey with digital... couldn't believe how sharp my photos were... was introduced to film... couldn't believe how much sharpness didn't matter.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com

All the hoods I have been familiar with could be reversed for storage, not a big deal.

gazwas

I personally hate rubber/plastic/metal lens hoods as they are such a waste of space in you bag so I use the amazing Lee Filters self supporting hoods that fold very flat (pack it on top of my equipment) and then uses adapter rings to mount to all my lenses - one hood fits all. It also has the major benefit of accepting one or two (or remove all filter slots if used on a very wide lens) 100mm filters. Never leave home without mine and is a permanent attachment to which ever format I'm shooting. Probably one of the best bits of photo equipment I've ever purchased IMO and even though its expensive for a hood, I can't recommend it highly enough.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:13:29 am by gazwas »
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Otto Phocus

I just reverse the lens hood on the lens when it is in my bag.  When I pull out the lens, I make the decision whether to attach it in the normal position or leave it in the bag.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

dwswager

My photography usually takes me to PerĂº, and since I shoot film I have to make space for (usually) two bodies, three primes I feel I can trust, ANNNNDDDD like 40 rolls of film, which takes up a LOT of space in the bag.

After reading a book by Galen Rowell I learned about using grad filters in the type of photography I enjoy. Since adding filters to the bag, I find that something simply has to go. I think it has to be the lens hoods. For three lenses I need three hoods, and that is a lot of space, even if I get creative.

I look at the contrast of a scene, and I think my left hand can block that side light when needed.

I am just curious if anyone has ever thought, "All these plastic hoods need to go!" Or maybe hoods do something my left hand cannot.

Thank you,

Matthew

Yes, I pack the hoods in my bag.  Most reverse without too much extra.  Wide angle hoods can get somewhat larger diameter than the lens front.  Long lens hoods can be an issue and hoods for zooms.

If you are using Grad ND, then the hoods that come with lenses don't make sense anyway, but you still might want to shade the lens and especially the filter.

I would love to know why you shoot film versus digital.  Do you shoot negative or slide film?  Digital has a much wider dynamic range than slide film and is somewhat wider than negative film.  Plus the option of exposure stacking rather than using ND Grads.  Sometimes, multiple shots are not a possibility, but is much simpler way to go.

Conner999

Lee Hood. Most of time NOT used with a filter, but a great space saver and can add/remove/change a filter in seconds.  Another option I use is collapsing rubber hoods, usually older Mamiya M645 units. Much more compact and slide into a side pocket in bag.

mpower

• Matthew

I would love to know why you shoot film versus digital.  Do you shoot negative or slide film?  Digital has a much wider dynamic range than slide film and is somewhat wider than negative film.  Plus the option of exposure stacking rather than using ND Grads.  Sometimes, multiple shots are not a possibility, but is much simpler way to go.

I just think film looks better. I enjoy slide and negative both. For slides it's usually Provia and sometimes Velvia. I have a bunch of Kodak E100VS in the freezer as well. For negative film it's almost always Kodak Ektar, though I've been having fun lately with Lomochrome Purple.
I started my journey with digital... couldn't believe how sharp my photos were... was introduced to film... couldn't believe how much sharpness didn't matter.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

Usually I don't. But now that I'd rather take my A6000's and three lenses in lieu of the Canon gear, I mainly do.
The problem is room.
Eduardo

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant

Every lens hood I own is mounted on its lens which is in the bag.

skierd

I always bring the hoods, usually reversed on the lens or in the case of my Pentax 20-40 limited its so small I just leave it attached.

I also tend to shoot film on trips more so than digital. In fact the only camera I took on my honeymoon to Tahiti in 2014 was an Olympus XA with about 2 dozen rolls of mostly Velvia and Ektachrome 100 and an Olympus Tough something digital for snorkeling.  I didn't even have my phone with me.

I can't speak for the OP, but my reasons:
No chimping
no decisions on lenses (with the XA at least)
no problem carrying the camera all day.
If it got stolen I'd only lose one days worth of memories
The look and feel of a perfect slide, it's better than jewelry, or well printed negative.

Most important: I'm forced to make prints and will likely always have a solid hard copy, either in slides or negatives, of that trip. Who knows with digital?

dwswager

I always bring the hoods, usually reversed on the lens or in the case of my Pentax 20-40 limited its so small I just leave it attached.

I also tend to shoot film on trips more so than digital. In fact the only camera I took on my honeymoon to Tahiti in 2014 was an Olympus XA with about 2 dozen rolls of mostly Velvia and Ektachrome 100 and an Olympus Tough something digital for snorkeling.  I didn't even have my phone with me.

I can't speak for the OP, but my reasons:
No chimping
no decisions on lenses (with the XA at least)
no problem carrying the camera all day.
If it got stolen I'd only lose one days worth of memories
The look and feel of a perfect slide, it's better than jewelry, or well printed negative.

Most important: I'm forced to make prints and will likely always have a solid hard copy, either in slides or negatives, of that trip. Who knows with digital?

No willpower not to chimp?
I have no problem carrying my camera all day and also don't have to lug the film
I would only lose one days worth of images as I download them every evening

You aren't forced to make prints ever for either film or digital.  On the other hand, you can choose to print either.

Both film and digital sensors impart their own characteristics on the final product.  I just find it easier to overcome the limitations with digital.  One of the reasons for owning a film scanner back when.

AFairley

Hood always on the lens, in or out of bag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up