Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another angle on the Steve McCurry saga...and it isn't pretty...names are named.  (Read 3303 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com

Definitely interesting, and elucidating of the shadowy aspects of agencies, even such a famous one.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Oh, boy, what a diatribe from apparently a bitter and angry man!

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer

Oh, boy, what a diatribe from apparently a bitter and angry man!

Indeed.

Rob C

An interesting read; I remember my own returned tranparencies from my stock agent when we split. How odd that so many carried terminal damage (before PS); yet others, that had never been listed as used, bore the traditional marks from separation houses (I used to produce calendars so recognized them for what they seemed to be); I remember waiting six months before writing in about a cover shot I discovered here in Spain, never reported to me. Turned out to be the fault of the regional sub-agent... who could know?

Even worse, I'd struck a deal with them (we both signed contracts), to be personal reps for me in London whilst I was living in Spain. I went ahead and had hundreds of index cards printed bearing my name and the agency's, and when I had them delivered in London I got a call telling me they'd changed their minds, and were no longer doing personal repping services. That cost me a packet in instantly useless index cards, and even worse than the financial loss, I'd had a printer make up a portfolio for them comprising some of my best calendar pages, Wiro-bound, and they couldn't return it to me. Lost, they said. So there you are, 'lost' my best portfolio and made much of my tranny library useless.

You have to work with some of these people to realise in just how little regard they hold their providers of 'content'.

Nothing surprises me about that world.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman

Nice read but we will never know all the problem. Think Steve might even forgotten many details about it.

Some years ago I worked for an agency and made 1 year + photo for them. We were in contract for a certain price. When the assignment went down they  "feared" me to sale prints (it was common among photographers over here), especially celebrity photos. It was not even in my mind but their were just nervous. At the end they forced me to give my HDD for the 2012 year. As a result I lost my entire 2012 year, related photos or not.

Now I have a lawyer and he force me togo take my photos back :D but I gift up and probably lazy. On day I might go with my knife and balls to ask my photo back.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up