Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax K1  (Read 12914 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Pentax K1
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 04:07:26 pm »

I'll probably get one relatively soon. Once my outstanding invoices are paid my camera fund will be able to cover it.
I have a bunch of Pentax gear (digital crop, 35mm film, 645 film and digital) going back to film days and am happy with them. They suit my shooting style. I have some converted Leica glass I'd like to try on full frame too since my old 35mm body died.
I bet I'll like it but I might be a fanboy (although I try not to be). :)

I like the look of that 15-30/2.8 as well but I'll need to send out more invoices for that one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:11:49 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 04:11:03 pm »

Michael:

I don't have a K-1, but I do use a 645Z and my experience has been that the OS/menu is the same for all Pentax DSLRs; my comments are based on the Z.  Are you using the camera in M mode?  If so, pushing the green button will set the correct shutter speed, regardless of which lens is used and how it is attached.  If you then change aperture or shutter speed the display indicates  + 5 EV and the LV display will darken or lighten in response to changes and includes focus peaking and blown highlight warnings.

That is pretty standard across their dSLRs so I bet it would be the same on the K-1 as well. Good for any lens with an aperture ring and no aperture coupling (SMC, M, and K series lenses as well as adapted ones).
-MattB

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
I received mine May 03 and LOVE it.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 07:16:31 pm »

I've been thru at least a half-dozen camera systems the last 7 or 8 years, the last a Sony a7R2 (too small and otherwise too frustrating).  This K-1...

...fits my hands and is VERY capable.  I bought some Pentax-brand lenses along with inexpensive Sigmas and Tamrons, but the last couple weeks I've been gathering Zeiss ZK-series lenses (25, 28, 35, 85mm) and now a couple ZF.2-series (21mm and 135mm).  The latter are anticipating Leitax's introduction of a F.2-to-K adapter.

I HOPE this is the last camera system this 72-year-old will ever buy.   :)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »

Just wish they would get some back in stock.

How are you liking the Zeiss lenses?

Sadly, it appears that the 15-30 is now out of stock, (B&H and Adorama)

Paul C
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:28:01 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BobDavid

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 10:06:25 am »

If I wasn't severely arthritic, I'd jump on the K-1 bandwagon. It's got all the right stuff and more. It's just too heavy and awkward for a decrepit old fart like me to handle.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 10:36:42 am »

I am jumping, but only with regrets of the current Adobe support for multishot and in ability to use Canon or Nikon glass on the K1.  If that same camera was mirrorless the line might just be endless as the feature set is hard to pass up.    I hope that Adobe re-visits the multishot raw conversion and doesn't do as they did on Fuji, (one pass and really terrible conversion for line details i.e. plastic look which is still there after countless ACR revisions). 

Am hoping that C1 will pick up the raw support and have support for multishot.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 11:31:09 am »

I'm just frustrated that the Tamron-Pentax lenses sell for a 50% premium over the Tamron versions for Canon/Nikon: I'd like the 24-70 for my K3. So I'll wait for the probably-coming-soon new Sigma.

skierd

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 03:46:00 am »

That's the half empty way of looking at it, though looking at B&H today the Pentax HD DFA 24-70 and CaNikon Tamron's are priced together at $1300.

The half full way is to remember that the Pentax branded 24-70, while optically identisimilar to the Tamron, uses Pentax's coatings and weather sealing and is stabilized in body.  And costs $500-900 less than the other factory options.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 10:41:35 pm »

After shooting with the K1 now for 2 weeks, I wanted to give a bit of feedback.  So far I have used the 15-30, and 100mm Macro. 

Positive impressions:

1.  The entire layout of the camera to me is a nice change.  The controls on the back of the camera and the LCD take a while to get used to, but once you have
     them figured out, to me they make sense. 

2.  LiveView, by far the best DSLR implementation I have used, (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Phase One).  The ability to use Focus Peaking, and it's a very well done
     peaking, is a huge advantage.  The use of Live View in Low light rivals Canon, (Nikon can't come close IMO due to excessive noise), and the use in daylight
     is greatly helped by the ability to move the screen.  I would say the Live View makes up for the less than stellar AF.

3.  LCD, enough said, great design, I wished years ago that someone else would take up Sony's A99 screen, well this is not that, but it's a good second.

4.  Lighting, great to be able to use focus point illumination and show a cropped sensor outline unlike other companies. Button illumination that only the D4s
     Nikon has similar designs.  The use of this camera at night is a great experience.

5.  Sensor stabilization, great idea, and Pentax really has taken it to the next level with the Pixel shift, astrotracker and shifting the sensor as a T/S lens (not
     very much but it's still able to move sideways)

6.  HDR, yes, you can capture a HDR series in camera as raw, (don't believe that has been allowed before)

7.  Battery Life, all day on 1 battery, or at night so far 2.5 hours @ 2' 30" stacking.  Great milliamp rating.

8.  Pixel Shift, yes, it's real and it does make a huge difference.  A plus I have found is that LR does a very good job on the files unless you have really fast
     moving subject matter (water).  The difference in DR, color, and overall details is very impressive.  Impressive enough that you should always try this
     option unless conditions are really terrible.  It's a bit like 3D, but does let you realize just how much is lost in the Bayer process.

9.   GPS, and the astrotracker, enough said, if you want to shoot the Milky way, this is your camera, simple fact.  You can either use this solution or stand
      there with a external tracking device.  The need for a super fast lens, is now gone, F2.8 even 3.2 works  great, as you can now track a shot of the Milky
      way for 2 minutes, 3 minutes etc.  Instead of 17 seconds.  I am still getting familiar with this tool and waiting for a good night to really test.  You can now
      work in a much lower ISO, 800 to 1200/1600 keeping the noise down.

10.  Good support for raw in both LR and C1, and C1 seems to work with the pixel shift files, (you need to add some more sharpening) but the colors look
       great and so far not seeing a lot of aliasing.  Still need to work with moving water in both apps.

11.  Shadow push at ISO100 is on par with the D810 at 64, also high ISO seems about the same, really getting harsh past 3200. 

12.  Pro version of Silkypix is a very competent software and has come a long way from when I last looked at it.  Still a bit steep to purchase but it does so
       far the best conversion on the pixel shift images especially if there is a bit of movement involved.

A few negatives:

1.  The software that Pentax gives you, which appears to be a subset of the silkypix, THROW IT AWAY.  What a waste.  After all the great features that have
     added, I hate to see such a worthless piece of software included with the camera.  You might as well make the investment in the Full silkypix software 
     which is not cheap, but does a great job on the pixel shift images (along with the rest of the raw) and handles moving water much better or other similar
     subjects. 

2.   AF, is hit and miss, and hopefully Pentax might improve this in the future with firmware.   

3.  Brackeing, in M mode, really can't do this, not sure on the logic behind that.  First camera I have used that needs to be in Aperture P to bracket correctly.

4.  Highlights (this should be number 1) They will blow and blow fast.  Really watch your highlights, as you will get pure white really fast.  Coming from the
     D810, which has a lot more head room on highlights, I have been burned a few times. 

5.  Lenses, basically Pentax is a APS-C company, with some new zooms.  None of the 3rd party companies, Tamron, Sigma are making their high end lenses
     in the K mount.  I am guess this is because of sales volumes.  The Sigma 35mm Art still scratches the front of the camera.  Sigma has made notice they
     will fix your lens, but no timelines as to when. However I have learned that the excellent 200 F2.8 and 300 F.4 Pentax DA lenses, work on the K1 with no
     issues, in that they will work as a full frame lens (that's at least how I understand it)  Lots of old manual focus Pentax lenses out there however and some 
     of them are very good.

6.  Lenses Part 2, no way to mount older Nikon or Canon lenses as the focal flange distance is about the same, and one of those two (Nikon ?) may be too
     small an opening anyway.  All the Zess ZK's are gone except the 35mm F2 which seems to be all over eBay.  But will keep my eyes out of others.

Am I selling all my Nikon, no, but I never expect Nikon to make a camera with such a rich feature set or Canon either.  Nikon will still be a great birding/wildlife camera but for landscapes, my new goal would be to use the Pixel shift as often as I can. 

User base on this camera is very small, but if you are on the fence it's well worth the investment.

Long term, I have no idea how Ricoh support in the US is for either call in questions or repairs. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 01:06:17 am »

Paul and Quentin,

Thanks for sharing! Good info as usual!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 10:50:17 am »

Good points and I'm enjoying mine too.
One point of clarification is that my original K-3 can do RAW HDR so that isn't a new feature for the K-1.
-MattB

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »

Thanks Matt, overlooked the excellent K3ii. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 05:13:28 pm »

I've used that RAW HDR on my K-3 a bit and in Auto mode it does a really nice natural-looking job but the two other modes, HDR-1 and HDR-2 do some nasty looking tonemapping or something that screams "HDR!". In auto it's just like the images has more DR and no other frills which is what I prefer. The K-1 Auto HDR seems to act similarly.
-MattB

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:36 pm »

Matt, thanks for the tip. 

for the raw, what software are you using?  Does LR open the HDR raw? 

I assume that the Silkypix Developer studio will also? 

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 05:26:50 pm »

I just use Lightroom and it's fine with the HDR RAWs which I have the camera set to write as dng files. I tried Silkypix years ago and hated the interface and have not gone back. I realize if I start using pixel shift I may need it try it again but I'm hoping LR gets updated and I don't have to!
-MattB

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 09:22:14 pm »

Note, the version of Silkypix that comes with the K1, is terrible.  Nothing like the actual program, Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Vr 7.  Much better software.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 10:22:23 am »

Note, the version of Silkypix that comes with the K1, is terrible.  Nothing like the actual program, Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Vr 7.  Much better software.

Paul C

Must be just like the one I tried a while back that came with another Pentax camera. I haven't installed it and I hope I don't need to!
-MattB
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up