Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7rII IBIS with Adapters  (Read 2329 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
A7rII IBIS with Adapters
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:53:38 am »

I'm going to start shooting sports and I'm dusting off my Tamron SP 150-600 Sony A Mount using an LA-E3 adapter.

My question is, what is the best solution for stabilization? I'd assume, and currently use, IBIS set to auto and lens stabilization switched to on.

If there is another way to set up IBIS stabilization I haven't yet found it. I'm not sure it is even working internally? This is a somewhat new field for me. Thanks so much for the help all!!

My apologies if this topic has been flogged to death. Feel free to point me to a previous thread if one exists.

JB

padam

Re: A7rII IBIS with Adapters
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 03:30:20 am »

It will work just fine like that.

With Canon lenses it is a bit more complicated because some of them have IS in the lens and if both the sensor and lens IS is turned in as well, that can cause problems (the Metabones recognizes that and allows only one at at time)

But the Sony A-mount lenses don't have IS (and the Sony E-mount lenses with IS can work together correctly with the camera) so there is no problem there, the camera's built-in IS will work as intended.

mshea

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:24:32 am »

Hi JB,

I'll probably buy a A7RII one of these days and was curious about it's usefulness for sports. After reading the pretty extensive dpreview, I've decided I'll use it for everything BUT sports!

Merrill

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 06:53:55 pm »

DSLRs are still the way to go with sports especially if you are relying on the images to pay your mortgage :-) however I have had quite good results with my A7R2.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »

Thanks PADAM!! Using the Canon glass has also been weird, between firmware etc. but it seems metabones has updated enough to make it work out. Thanks for the advice!

Merrill, I definitely agree with Dave! My position is a little different. I'm working for the MLB which has more of a documentary style focus on the ballpark. However, great action shots are also expected, they're just not the primary focus. So for my purposes the A7rII has worked pretty well. I put it in continuous wide focus mode and the tracking does a good job. If I continue in the sports field I'll definitely be looking to switch back to Canon for the 1DX II. I switched systems a while back though, 3 years now, so who knows? Maybe the newer Sony will start closing the gap. Tough because I'm totally invested in E mount now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:53:47 pm by JB Rasor »
Pages: [1]   Go Up